Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide or Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:40 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my street glide but be damn sure if I could afford it I would have an EG Ultra classic just for sheer comfort and the ability to hop on and go for a ****ing week without worrying about having to pack. Why would you want to buy a bike and then have to buy stuff to add it up and make it look like another bike when you could just buy the whole deal?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:07 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

IMO,get the Electra glide. You'll like the ride.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:40 AM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doubt the Street Glide rocks for looks, and the Ultra has all the bells & whistles (storage too). If you can live with the Street Glide (and a tour pack), or if you want the option of having all the additional touring items, only you can decide. Lots of previous discussions on merits and "costs" of 1) Street Glide with additions & 2) Ultra with detachable options within the forum, if you do a search: 2012 models or such, or touring models. For what it is worth, I went into dealer to buy my long sought after Street Glide, and came out with an Ultra Ltd, much like some others have stated, made sense for me to buy with all the options since I would have ended up there eventually with the Street Glide ...LOL. Good luck in your search.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:24 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer...with all the different touring models out there you just have to go with the one that grabs you and says " take me home"...

I've owned just about all of them, from my old '57 Pan to Sportys to a Ultra Tri Glide....loved them all, some more than others... My new ride is a 2012 Street Glide, 103", cruise...I will add a solo seat and the chopped tour box with detachable solo mount, I just like the looks of this setup...below is my 2010 RG setup the same way, just to give you an idea....I won't recomend any one model, they're all good!!!
Good luck with your decision...it's a tough one for sure.
Oh, I pull a Bushtec Roadstar trailer, so storage is a non-issue with me!

Old 12-30-2011, 05:15 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

ultra then make it a sg if you want at least you have the best of both worlds.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:53 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by warren888
I am about to trade in my low rider for either a street glide or electra glide.

I rode a friend's street glide this weekend and loved it. Was much more nimble than I thought it would be.

I wanted to get some opinions on the right model.

I like to have a stripped down bike for local rides - exactly like the street glide, and I love that it is lowered a bit. Most of my riding will be day long local.

But for long touring, would like to add a tour pack. I feel the lower fairing pieces are less important, as is CB and rear speakers.

But wanted to get opinions - have a few ways to go:

1. Buy street glide and later add tour pack (detachable)

2. Buy Electra Glide classic to get tour pack- but change it to removable brackets, and get lowered suspension (they make brackets apparently).

3. Go all the way and buy ultra classic to get all the goodies - and modify as per #2. But It is quite a bit more money - generally haven't wanted the CB, lowers etc.

Let me know your experiences on value of the various goodies that come with each model?

Would appreciate input to help me make a good choice. Thanks.
Last spring I traded in my 07 FXDL for an 07 FLHT. I grabbed a good buy on an Electra Glide Standard, for the other models were a little pricier (ultra, SG, etc...) , and have been adding goodies to my liking on the cheap.
I felt I would take to big of an *** kicking to buy the Ultra, and then removing everything I didn't want, where as the Standard was much cheaper and I have added other peoples "take offs" from the forum here and the local Craigslist to get it where I want it.
I am a bang for the buck type of person and went the right direction.

I also find the FLHT to be surprisingly agile for its size. I can't throw it around the way I used to my Low Rider, but, I have never found it to be a sled like was the case with the 09 Ultra I rented back in 09.

Good luck and enjoy the ride..................

Old 12-30-2011, 06:34 AM
flatfifth2003
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go for the Classic and detachable hardware for the tour pack. I have an 08 SG, and didn't really care for the ride with the stock shocks. Cruise is almost a must have for longer trips. I don't know about the newer bikes but the stock seat on my bike really sucked too. The stock EG is much more comfortable.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:37 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I have had all three, and ended up with the Ultra. Had quick detach on the SG and the EG, and found that after a while they started to rattle. Also found that after I got used to having the extra room of the tour pac I hardly ever took it off.

I didn't think I would ever like the CB, but a lot of the people I ride with have them, including my wife, and we use them all the time to talk back and forth. Find a channel no one uses and you have your own communications network. Niether the Classic or the Street Glide come with cruise control, and that is a must on a touring bike in my opinion. I had to add it to the SG and the EG. It is standard on the Ultra.

Bill

Old 12-30-2011, 06:47 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I got the Streetglide because I knew I didn't want a tourpak, etc.

Since you know you want that stuff....get the Classic, but with Cruise and ABS.

Ultra is great, but only if rear speakers and a CB are worth the extra coin.

The Classic is the real bargain bagger....but you have to specify Cruise and ABS....ultra comes with all of that.

Keep in mind that the Streetglide is lower.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 12-30-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:55 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,951 Likes on 22,548 Posts

SG w/a Tourpak.

Quick Reply: Street Glide or Electra Glide