Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Road King Police, cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 04:10 PM
667Nobody
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Road King Police, cruise control

I am installing a cruise control on this bike and ofcourse everything is a piece meal. Got a harness, but it has an additional wire red with yellow trace that I cannot seem to identify. All tests are positive (everything does what it supposed to) but it does not activate on the road test. Any input?

Last edited by 667Nobody; 12-30-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:08 PM
jkrahn
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont have an answer for you, but I have a 99EGlide that needs a cruise control. Where did you get the parts and how expenxsive are they? My local dealer says it's obsolete and the idividual parts seemed really expensive.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:28 PM
667Nobody
Stage II

Originally Posted by jkrahn
I dont have an answer for you, but I have a 99EGlide that needs a cruise control. Where did you get the parts and how expenxsive are they? My local dealer says it's obsolete and the idividual parts seemed really expensive.
I had to get parts from my local HD dealer, salvaging company and ebay, among other places. I had to do alot of research thru the HDForums in order to piece it. HD has discontinued the kit for the older bikes. Find a good mechanic

Old 01-07-2012, 06:35 PM
88 Paladin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jkrahn
I have looked for cruise control for my 99 Road King off and on as well. It's the only thing I wish I had on my older ride.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:48 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

I put cruise on my 04 police road king. I had to eventually take it to the dealer. They said they had to activate it on the ECM. I am not certain if they did anything or it was a line of BS but it works now. They also had to splice two wires into the harness under the center dash to the speedo. Not certain what these are as well. But again it works.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

My deal is that I bought the civilian HD Service Manual for Touring Models for '04 and the police SM supplement for the same year. Having both allowed me to add cruise, etc.to my '04 police EG by replicating the wiring of a civlian bike to my cop bike. Of course, I also needed the parts books at the dealer to buy the parts I needed.

You can post and hope for help here, and you can also simply buy the SM's and do what I did. Being impatient, I'm very happy to have the SM's.

Good luck.

Carl

Old 01-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Bachus
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1+

Cruise is not enabled on Police bikes, needs to be enabled by the stealership. Simple little job that they charge $$$ for.

Only reason my 02 FLHPI an 09FLHTP aren't running cruise now. Run it by the dealer have them hook it up to THEIR computer and turn it on.

The ticket it will save you will pay for it in the long run.

Dan B.
Central Ks.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
I put cruise on my 04 police road king. I had to eventually take it to the dealer. They said they had to activate it on the ECM. I am not certain if they did anything or it was a line of BS but it works now. They also had to splice two wires into the harness under the center dash to the speedo. Not certain what these are as well. But again it works.
Originally Posted by Bachus
Cruise is not enabled on Police bikes, needs to be enabled by the stealership. Simple little job that they charge $$$ for.

Only reason my 02 FLHPI an 09FLHTP aren't running cruise now. Run it by the dealer have them hook it up to THEIR computer and turn it on.

The ticket it will save you will pay for it in the long run.

Dan B.
Central Ks.
THERE IS NOTHING TO "TURN ON." It's an electro/mechanical device. Just wire it with the correct parts and enjoy. The '09 may need a download since the throttle is "TBW" rather than the cable systems of the '07 and older models.

Carl