Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Slip Ons - Looking For More

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011 | 08:20 AM
jrsdws
|
Intermediate
Default New Slip Ons - Looking For More

I've decided my 04' RKC deserves a new set of slip ons for Christmas. I have D&D Big Boss 3.5" slip ons now that came on the bike when I bought it used. The previous owner neglected to dry well after washing and there is alot of rust on the mufflers on the bottom side and inside faceing the wheel. They still sound good and the rust is hard to see, but it really drives me nuts since the rest of it is in such great shape.

The bike has had the Stage One done and dealer map at that time (2005).

There is some popping at decel which I understand isn't completely out of the norm for the set up.

I'd like a little more low end torque and more "oomph" on the road when needing to pass.

I'll likely only have the big for a couple of more years so I don't want to get into the engine.

Can any combination of slip ons and tuning module provide what I'm looking for? If so, please offer your ideas.

Old 12-29-2011 | 09:04 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Have you thought of just using 0000 fine steel wool on those rust spots then applying a good wax? Should clean it up pretty good.

If the bike has a stage one already, and you want more low end torque the next step is to add a cam. Has the bike had the cam tensioners replaced? I had the same desire as you and my suggestion would be to replace the cam tensioners with the HD SE hydraulic tesionsers and put in a low/mid end cam like the Andrews 21 which I have. I can not be happier with the torque improvement by adding this cam. It's like a completely new bike. Pulls super hard and handles hills and two up with ease.

Old 12-29-2011 | 09:06 AM
kmayHD
Road Master

I think the only way to get a noticible increase in "ooomph" from exhaust will be to go with a 2 into 1 set-up. And any Tuner, programmed properly should get the bike running right. I have a feeling most will tell you, to get that eextra juice you want, youd really need cams, or a big bore. But a proper Tuner, with a 2 into 1 could be good for 10hp and 10 tq for sure.

Old 12-29-2011 | 09:24 AM
jrsdws
|
Intermediate

Ohhh it's well beyond steel wool...I've worked the heck out of it. It's to the corrosion stage.

The bike only has 12,000 miles on it so I'd hope the cam tensioners are ok. Cam replacement is more than I'd be comfortable tackling myself I think.

Old 12-29-2011 | 09:49 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jrsdws
Ohhh it's well beyond steel wool...I've worked the heck out of it. It's to the corrosion stage.

The bike only has 12,000 miles on it so I'd hope the cam tensioners are ok. Cam replacement is more than I'd be comfortable tackling myself I think.
Then I would suggest the 2 into 1 exhaust option. Tops for torque.

Old 12-29-2011 | 10:10 AM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor

If you are looking for the 2 Into 1 exhaust, we have some options available on our website you may be interested in.

As always, PM me if you have any specific questions.

I hope you find what you're looking for, ryd safe!

Originally Posted by Pumba11
Then I would suggest the 2 into 1 exhaust option. Tops for torque.

WanaRyd Motorcycle
1-888-926-2793

Old 12-29-2011 | 02:45 PM
jrsdws
|
Intermediate

Alright...I'm tiptoeing in to my first "performance" upgrade. I just ordered 4" Jackpots and the EFI tuner from Fuel Moto. This should be a nice baby step and I'll decide from there if I want more. I don't want to wrap too much into this bike because the plan is to upgrade in a couple of years....but one never knows!!!

Old 12-29-2011 | 04:44 PM
Tee Bagger
Road Captain

Good choice...I don't think you will be disappointed.

Old 12-29-2011 | 05:53 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member

Just had my 2011 ultra dyno'd with SE race tuner SE high flow air cleaner and Cobra Tri Oval slip-on's, when the Tech came out he said they do a pile of bikes with the same set-up other then the slip-on's of which most are V&H pro pipes. This was the first set of Tri Ovals they had Dyno'd and the numbers were a bit better with the Cobra's.

Old 12-30-2011 | 09:11 AM
jrsdws
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the input....Jamie at Fuel Moto confirmed that if I want to do cams or other work the he can provide appropriate maps for whatever I do.

Cam replacement doesn't look like a tough job, but when you don't have the proper tools it makes it hard to jump into.

Quick Reply: New Slip Ons - Looking For More