Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Tour-Pak Hinges

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 AM
JSwan
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Tour-Pak Hinges

I know there have been a lot of postings regarding the installation of the chrome tour-pak hinge upgrade over the years. I am getting ready to make the switch. However, I feel the instructions provided are not as complete as they should be. I am looking for information from the forum members regarding how to make the installation as mistake free as possible. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:05 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Two tips I used:
First was to drill in steps using a smaller drill. Expand until the screw passes through.
Second was to use painters' tape to hold the gasket aside when drilling.
Don't rush, the results are the best $50 you'll spend on your ride.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I can't help you dealer did mine. Something about me drilling next to perfect paint got me nervous. If the tech screws up,oh well new lid or bottom from the factory. If I screw up,I'am **** out of luck. I do agree that they are way better than those cheap pieces they put on at the factory. The MoCo should be ashamed to put that crap on $25k bikes.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:14 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3 absolutely necessary things: Sharp bit, Sharp bit, Sharp bit.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:23 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

I did my hinges last fall. it is well worth the effort. They directions are correct about removing the hinge pin first along with the tether. this removes the top lid of the tour pak and you can work on it separately. I made sure i had new drill bits , painter tape, and duct tape. I drilled out my rivets with a variable speed cordless with new drill bits. I could control the drill out process good this way. Just let the bit do the work. There are a few options on how to remove the rivets some guys use a dremel. I found the drill bit worked fine as long as it was a good sharp new one. To remove the tour pak lid rivets I used duct tape to pull the gasket up and over the lid to keep it out of the way of the bit. once the rivets are out its all down hill. I also use some red lock tite on the new hinge screws. If you can have a helper to hold the top lid while you attach the new hinges it makes it much easier. You can also go to the dealer and have them do it. they shouldn't charge more than 1 hour labor. if they want more than 1 hr labor I would forget it and do it myself. good luck, either way you'll love and from now on you seem to notice everyone else hinges. even on the CVO's they put those cheap hinges on. Jeff

Old 12-29-2011, 08:34 AM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

*********** Extreme Tip **************

Use a metal putty knife behind the rivets on top, or you will drill into you weather seal..... Mucho Importante ! ! ! ! !

Old 12-29-2011, 08:54 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc3468
*********** Extreme Tip **************

Use a metal putty knife behind the rivets on top, or you will drill into you weather seal..... Mucho Importante ! ! ! ! !
Good idea...I pulled mine aside with duct tape.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:07 AM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Most important tip as said before is new sharp drill bit!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:12 AM
ThunderBueller
Road Master

Make sure the screws have a little clearance in the holes. If you have to screw them through the TP they are too tight and the TP could crack. Worth the effort however, they look awesome.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:16 AM
JSwan
6th Gear

Thank you everyone for your responses--very helpfull

Quick Reply: Chrome Tour-Pak Hinges