Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines Turndowns....Any Regrets???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Vance and Hines Turndowns....Any Regrets???

I am ready to replace my Vance and Hines Basics Slip-ons with either the CFR's or the Vance and Hines ClassicTurndowns. I am looking for a nice louder exhaust with a good deep sound.

I know the sound of the CFR's are amazing because I purchased the knock-offs in order to see if there would be any tuning issues...all was good there and I loved the volume and sound.

I am somewhat favoring the Vance and Hines Turndowns because of the sweet look and I have read some reviews that complain they are too loud....that confirms to me that I might like these for the looks AND volume.

Anyone running the Vance and Hines Classic Turndowns and have any regrets.....i.e., do they really kick up dirt to the point of being a dealbreaker?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 AM
scotracy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had V & H ground pounders (turn downs) on my Fat Bob and I loved them! They sounded great! I now have a 11 RKC and have not changed out exhaust yet, but will go with a different exhaust on the bagger.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:20 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Anytime you have a turn down exhaust your not going to be able to access the baffles as easily as you would a straight pipe so consider that if your one that like to experiment with diff sound by tinkering with them.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm pretty shocked you would go with anything over the CFR's.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:38 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scotracy
I had V & H ground pounders (turn downs) on my Fat Bob and I loved them! They sounded great! I now have a 11 RKC and have not changed out exhaust yet, but will go with a different exhaust on the bagger.
Thanks

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Anytime you have a turn down exhaust your not going to be able to access the baffles as easily as you would a straight pipe so consider that if your one that like to experiment with diff sound by tinkering with them.
True - there is a quiet baffle insert available but I don't think I will be doing that - but, one never knows. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by shore
I'm pretty shocked you would go with anything over the CFR's.
Know kidding right? I am just torn because I really like the look of the turndowns - I would really love that look for my bike - just haven't had a chance to hear them in person - only in videos and they seem to sound great - I am hoping that if I go VH that I will love the sound too. On the other hand, I absolutely know I will love the CFR's........so, gotta decide - looks or sound.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:43 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

See. those big 4" cannons is what got me onto the CFR train, then the sound locked it in. Constantly being asked what they are, to which I reply jokingly, not Rineharts!...that's a bonus.

No on take offense, I like the 4" rineys, they are just everywhere and sound kinda liek "that guys" bike.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:29 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
That might be true with other pipes but V&H bolts(screws) the turn down tips on allowing access after you remove them just like a straight pipe. Thus the optional quite baffle insert.

Have their fishtails on my EGC built the same way as far as the tip is concerned.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're meaning the Big Radius pipes, right?

Yes, they're loud & obnoxious compared to stock pipes, but I love them. Yes, they're pretty much the max dB's allowed (rated at 95), so if you don't like loud pipes then you should see if anyone makes quiet baffles that are curved to fit the pipes.

Don't think I've ever seen them on a RK, but if they fit with the overall style of the rest of the bike, like on mine, they look and sound great.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:19 PM
giantdog
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run V&H Ground Thumpers (least that's what we call them over here in the UK) nice and loud but do get a bit warm on the leg in jeans.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The guys with the turn downs on their bikes in our group ride in the back as they stir up quite a bit of dust when we hit the parking lots, lol.

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines Turndowns....Any Regrets???