Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide if I need these tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

I put cams in my Duece without any special tools. I did make a puller for the inner cam bearings but it was just something simple made from scraps laying around.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by skully1200
Preparing for my tensioner upgrade/cam project. There are some miscellaneous tools that I know will make life easier, but also aren't really required. Trying to keep the project reasonable from a cost standpoint. Let me know what you think is worth paying a few dollars for. For the record, I will be going in through the top.
Pushrod clip tool -- Is this the 94086-09 tool for the tube retaining clip? If so, you don't need it. I use a large flat-blade screwdriver and with the right technique the clip can be easy removed and installed. If this clip is to hold the tubes up, you can use clothes pins.

Special rocker box wrenches -- Use a common box- or open-end wrench, as it will save $40 at the expense of a bit more time. If I were doing cam jobs every day I would buy the HD wrench or something similar, but not for one job per year or less. Mrnone's idea of cutting an Allen wrench might speed things up a bit compared to the above.

Dogbone torque adapters -- Some of the bolts weren't accessible for a torque wrench, but I simply used a nearby-reference to tighten them. IOW, tighten one to torque specs and the inaccessible bolt the same number of turns after seating.

Oil pump alignment screws -- My manual says nothing about any oil-pump alignment screws, but there is a procedure for centering the gerotors as Djack mentioned earlier. I didn't remove my lifter blocks, but I think you'll need some alignment pins for these if you do. I clipped the lifters in place using large binder clips from Office Depot.

I have or will have the major tools like torque wrenches, bearing puller, the manual, etc. It is the miscellaneous stuff I'm wondering about. Thanks.
The manual also mentions a cam-alignment tool for holding the cams in place while installing them in the cam plate, as well as a sprocket locking tool, neither of which is necessary. In the latter case, all you need to do to lock the sprocket is to put the bike in gear and hold the rear brake pedal while torquing the sprocket bolts. It's easier to have a helper do this. Again, I think the above special tools are more convenience items that I might want if I did cam jobs frequently. The only special tool I used was the Beatty inner-bearing tool, but you already have that covered.

Last edited by iclick; 01-03-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:35 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

like iclick said the only tool you really need is the bearing tool, just changed mine this past week,piece of cake,i mean really easy just keep your manual close by.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:42 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the Motion Pro pushrod clip tool. That is a big time saver. Buy a tool of some kind. The screwdriver method sucks.
No need for the torque adapters.
Earlier models need the oil pump alignment screws but I do know the 07 and later models do not.
The rocker box wrenches significantly reduce the hassle factor of getting into the tight spaces, but are not required. I ended up buying these tools and have no regrets.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:27 PM
MAJOR
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I did the top and bottom of mine and didn't use any special tools except the oil pump alignment dowels.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:41 PM
c6z06
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dogbone torque adapters. I bought them from Snap On for $30 each, but not necessary. They do give a good feeling for using the right torque. The bolts on the rear cylinder head rockers are hard to get to and these make it easier to do. Even if I use them one time on my bike, they can be used on other things.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:41 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I was waiting for responses after initially starting this thread, I ordered torque adapters. I got 1/2 inch and 7/16 for a total of less than 40 bucks. I have a tendency to overtighten everything and don't really trust myself. I also got the oil pump screws for 11 dollars. My 04 manual calls for them. Don't know how things change considering I am putting the newer style pump and support plate in it. I'm sure they can't hurt for 11 bucks. How hard is it to avoid scratching the crap out of the chrome on the rocker covers if I just use a box end wrench? Still weighing the pros and cons of nice to have vs not really necessary on a couple things.