Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Timing Advance Curves

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011 | 07:49 PM
2black1s
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Ignition Timing Advance Curves

Does anyone have or know where I can find the factory ignition timing advance curves for a 2011 FLHTK?

I'm playing with the timing curves on my bike utilizing a Power Commander V (PCV) which I can adjust up or down in one degree increments at various rpm and throttle positions, but I have no way that I'm aware of to determine what the baseline is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-27-2011 | 08:09 PM
JetD
Road Captain

I have not used PCV, but with the tts, after downloading and saving a copy the OEM map on the bike, I was able to load it into the tts s/w and view all the timing settings. Don't know if this is what your are trying to do, but it worked for me....

Old 12-27-2011 | 08:12 PM
2black1s
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JetD
I have not used PCV, but with the tts, after downloading and saving a copy the OEM map on the bike, I was able to load it into the tts s/w and view all the timing settings. Don't know if this is what your are trying to do, but it worked for me....
Yes that is what I'm trying to do, but the PCV doesn't have the capability to show the actual timing settings... Only +/- values to the factory settings.

Old 12-27-2011 | 08:33 PM
JetD
Road Captain

PM sent...

Old 12-27-2011 | 08:54 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master

PCV is a piggy back and interupts the signals from the stock Delphi system.
The Power Vision allows you to actually adjust and see the real Delphi values.
get rid of the PCV on ebay or somewhere and buy a Power Vision unit.

Old 12-27-2011 | 09:05 PM
2black1s
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by CT-Bagger
PCV is a piggy back and interupts the signals from the stock Delphi system.
The Power Vision allows you to actually adjust and see the real Delphi values.
get rid of the PCV on ebay or somewhere and buy a Power Vision unit.
I appreciate your recommendation but I'm not about to throw away the $600 or so I have invested in the PCV w/AutoTune and then spend another $500+ on a PV. Overall I'm very happy with the PCV. If the PV was available when I bought the PCV I would have gotten it, but it wasn't out yet. For now I'm making do with what I have.

If you have a PV maybe you could tell me what the factory settings were for your 2010. That's what I'm looking for.

Old 12-27-2011 | 10:03 PM
user 8373900
Banned

My PCV map is set to 0 degrees until around 2000 rpm and Fuel Moto had it at +2. I had some pinging so I reduced to +1 and zero, my 07 was -2 above 1800 rpm at 60% throttle.
Be sure and do both cylinders the same.

Mark

Old 12-27-2011 | 10:19 PM
2black1s
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
My PCV map is set to 0 degrees until around 2000 rpm and Fuel Moto had it at +2. I had some pinging so I reduced to +1 and zero, my 07 was -2 above 1800 rpm at 60% throttle.
Be sure and do both cylinders the same.

Mark
Thanks Mark. But I'm looking for the actual timing advance, i.e., 10, 20 ,30 degrees etc.; not the values evident in the PCV map(s) which are simply deltas to the base timing.

Last edited by 2black1s; 12-27-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-27-2011 | 10:36 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

typical full advance on an evo H-D is 35º, that's with full vacuum at above 4000 rpm ( remember that low vacuum, such as WOT retards timing)

not much help, I know...

When timing independently is has not been unusual to run the rear cylinder a degree or 2 retarded compared to the front cylinder--- but that would be more typical with a carb or throttle body injection.

I think that you can only ask what the max advance possible is, all the settings in between will be affected by the ECM dependent on the sensor input

Can I ask what you are doing- maybe I can learn something.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-27-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-27-2011 | 10:51 PM
2black1s
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
typical full advance on an evo H-D is 35º, that's with full vacuum at above 4000 rpm ( remember that low vacuum, such as WOT retards timing)

not much help, I know...

When timing independently is has not been unusual to run the rear cylinder a degree or 2 retarded compared to the front cylinder--- but that would be more typical with a carb or throttle body injection.

I think that you can only ask what the max advance possible is, all the settings in between will be affected by the ECM dependent on the sensor input

Can I ask what you are doing- maybe I can learn something.

Mike
I'm experimenting, by trial and error method, with retarding my timing in problem areas of the map to eliminate some slight audible pinging. I can do this by simply adjusting the map -1, -2, etc., so the absolute advance value is not necessary but it is something I'd like to have for the purpose of analysis. By altering the factory curve I may be able to add some timing in certain areas and seeing the factory settings will help me define those potential areas.

Quick Reply: Ignition Timing Advance Curves