Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New wheel rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:26 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New wheel rotor question

I am looking to put a new wheel on the front of my '07 SG.
My questions this: Can I go from a dual rotor to a single rotor and still keep the same braking ? I would hate to spend $$$ on a nice wheel only to have most of it covered by two clunky looking stock rotors.

Is there a company that makes rotors that are not as clunky looking as the HD ones?

Old 12-27-2011, 01:04 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go to 1/2 the brake (1 rotor & caliper), do you think there is a magic potion out there that will restore your bike's braking ability to the equivalent of 2 rotors? Get real.

It is clearly your choice, but that is why rotors, that match the wheel, are offered for sell.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:33 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

I wrote this up a while back to give members the "tools" to make their own judgement. I have had more arguments and debates about brakes than I care for and been accused of all sorts of things so really not keen to enter this debate again, but hopefully this will help

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...nd-rotors.html

There are companies out there selling solutions for this that are technically sound, but I have not investigated much further than that as it is not something I, personally, would consider doing

Old 12-27-2011, 01:51 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mllgator
If you go to 1/2 the brake (1 rotor & caliper), do you think there is a magic potion out there that will restore your bike's braking ability to the equivalent of 2 rotors? Get real.

It is clearly your choice, but that is why rotors, that match the wheel, are offered for sell.
you have personal experience on this? or just doing what most on this forum do best, which is spew opinionated BS that they overheard at starbucks, or their service department? you should probably get real...

OP, there are plenty of us who ditched the stock dual brakes for singles. we're running 21, 23 & 26" wheels on a single 13" caliper. yes, there are considerations, but its quick to explain.

if you want more info, PM me or slothy (grabber blue SG w/ a 26")

also, conatact Paul at Native Custom Baggers or Cameron at CamTech Customs camtechcustom.com

Last edited by stupid_rope; 12-27-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:55 PM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

HD Jim,

We are happy to hear you are in the market for wheels, things to consider Fit, Finish, Warranty, Customer Service

Yes you can retain the same stopping power but you will need to make a few changes. We recommend you go with the 13" rotor, 6 piston caliper, and if your Harley is a 2007 or back you will also need a 9/16 bore to best accommodate and retain the same stopping power.

Check out our WanaRyd wheel page, I think we have a few styles you may be interested in. Also we are running a special on chrome wheels for forum members.

As always feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Ryd safe.

Originally Posted by HD Jim
I am looking to put a new wheel on the front of my '07 SG.
My questions this: Can I go from a dual rotor to a single rotor and still keep the same braking ? I would hate to spend $$$ on a nice wheel only to have most of it covered by two clunky looking stock rotors.

Is there a company that makes rotors that are not as clunky looking as the HD ones?

WanaRyd Motorcycle
1-888-926-2793

Old 12-27-2011, 01:58 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mllgator

I asked the question in order to get advise .... not knowing that much about rotors etc:

"get real"? lol nice advise lol

Old 12-27-2011, 02:06 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

Sgdisel your link did not work, did find related threads tho and read them... thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

WannRydWheels I will be looking at your wheels after the 1st of the year .. nice designs !

Stupid_rope I have seen many touring bikes with larger wheels with just a single rotor.. just never knew how the braking was affected (if any)

Thanks for the knowledgeable answers

Old 12-27-2011, 02:08 PM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Not a problem Jim, glad we could help. Look forward to speaking with you in the future.

Originally Posted by HD Jim
Sgdisel your link did not work, did find related threads tho and read them... thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

WannRydWheels I will be looking at your wheels after the 1st of the year .. nice designs !

Stupid_rope I have seen many touring bikes with larger wheels with just a single rotor.. just never knew how the braking was affected (if any)

Thanks for the knowledgeable answers

Old 12-27-2011, 02:19 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Old 12-27-2011, 02:43 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

While it MAY be possible to retain your felt stopping power with a single rotor, especially while changing from a 16-18" front tire to a 21,23,26 front tire(less contact patch), there will be significant heat build up that will not go away no matter how hard you try to wish it away. You have removed a large portion of rotor length and that, no matter how you cut it, is the problem. A single stop on its own you will be fine but in the twisty's or descending with a load......wear thick soled boots Fred Flintstone!

Quick Reply: New wheel rotor question