Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New wheel rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
what does a CE degree have to do with this? furthermore, my point was and is that unless you have first hand knowledge of the question, why answer it with an opinion?

all the math and physics in the world looks great on an internet forum, but unless you've built a bike and tested it then you dont know for sure.
SR, I appreciate the work you've done on your bike and I enjoy reading your threads. But it's not necessary to build a bike to realize that if you simply remove a caliper and rotor w/o changing anything else that the bike will have less braking power. And if a poster has an engineering degree, that poster can damn sure justify in technical terms his opinion that removing 1/2 the braking system will result in a decrease in braking power.

Can the OP, through using aftermarket parts, duplicate the OEM braking power, I don't know. But he sure won't have the same braking power removing a caliper and rotor and doing nothing else.

Perhaps you will post what you're using on your single rotor bike, and any empirical information comparing what you now have versus what your had before removing the right side caliper.

Carl

Old 12-28-2011, 02:34 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HD Jim
I have a stock 96" on my SG and plan on keeping it that way ... well, perhaps new cams in the not too distant future lol

All I what is a new wheel that is not covered by ugly *** rotors on both sides. I am not aggressive riding my SG.. dirt bikes yes!

Harleypingman can the Brembo can retro fitted to a '07 fairly easily? I have seen some nice wheels/rotors from Wannryd that would look good on my SG
Jim,

I had a look at the Wanaryd site - they seem to have a fairly comprehensive offering. They are offering a single disc conversion kit as well, and from the description it looks as though they have considered all factors. Have you asked them to quote for this kit as well?

From the description and photo's it looks like you will have to change out the caliper and master cylinder, but not the rotor. This implies that the 6 pot caliper they are offering is not a direct "equivalent" to the 2 off 4 pots you are removing. By changing the master cylinder they are changing the pressure your system will work at.

If you want me to run a check, I would need the following dimensions:

Original Master Cylinder bore
Original Pot diameter and qty
New MC bore (9/16" is what they state on their site)
New pot diameter

You should be able to get this info from anyone who supplies you the kit

Old 12-28-2011, 03:30 PM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Check out our tech articles on our site that go into detail on converting to a single disk setup. Listed are some helpful tips/steps you will need to take in order to switch over to a single side along with the products we offer to help get you there. We have had many customers make the transition from a dual to a single setup and are very satisfied with change.

As always, PM me if you have any questions.

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
Jim,

I had a look at the Wanaryd site - they seem to have a fairly comprehensive offering. They are offering a single disc conversion kit as well, and from the description it looks as though they have considered all factors. Have you asked them to quote for this kit as well?

From the description and photo's it looks like you will have to change out the caliper and master cylinder, but not the rotor. This implies that the 6 pot caliper they are offering is not a direct "equivalent" to the 2 off 4 pots you are removing. By changing the master cylinder they are changing the pressure your system will work at.

If you want me to run a check, I would need the following dimensions:

Original Master Cylinder bore
Original Pot diameter and qty
New MC bore (9/16" is what they state on their site)
New pot diameter

You should be able to get this info from anyone who supplies you the kit

WanaRyd Motorcycle
1-888-926-2793

Old 01-06-2012, 01:25 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the biggest key here is the doing with little or no diff is doing the 6 piston and 13" rotor (more leverage)...

no way in hell would i ride a touring bike with a single stock caliper and a single stock dia rotor...

Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Drummerboy301
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 SG with a 21 on the front and only 1 stock rotor on it. Now after removing the left side rotor I had to put a PM hub cover and fabricate a piece of sheet metal into a washer between it so that the wheel would turn but it looks great. It stops my bike fine although not quite as good as the dual set up. I do seem to have a harder time getting the wheel to stick for a burnout now though.....
Just sayin!