Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New wheel rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:47 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
That is good information... Thanks!

Would going from a 4 piston caliper to a 6 piston caliper make up for loss of stopping power?

Old 12-27-2011, 03:00 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HD Jim
That is good information... Thanks!

Would going from a 4 piston caliper to a 6 piston caliper make up for loss of stopping power?
It is not necessarily down to the number of pistons but rather the total area of the bank of pistons.

If...you want the same rotor (albeit 1 instead of 2) AND the same "sensation" on the brake lever AND the same brake torque using the same master cylinder then you need the same total area - ie

4*(original piston area) = 6 * (new piston area)

Where Piston Area = Pi*(diam^2)/4

Incidentally, the comment made about heat dissipation is quite correct

Old 12-27-2011, 03:20 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
It is not necessarily down to the number of pistons but rather the total area of the bank of pistons.

If...you want the same rotor (albeit 1 instead of 2) AND the same "sensation" on the brake lever AND the same brake torque using the same master cylinder then you need the same total area - ie

4*(original piston area) = 6 * (new piston area)

Where Piston Area = Pi*(diam^2)/4

Incidentally, the comment made about heat dissipation is quite correct
Have to put up with me on this lol I understand about the heat dissipation, would a single , larger rotor work? Don't have this problem on any of my tractors lol

I'm not a aggressive rider at all but if the mechanics don't work then I will look for other solutions. I appreciate your advise.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:24 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Have to put up with me on this lol I understand about the heat dissipation, would a single , larger rotor work? Don't have this problem on any of my tractors lol

I'm not a aggressive rider at all but if the mechanics don't work then I will look for other solutions. I appreciate your advise.
Yes , like a Buell. That rotor size is almost the same size as the wheel. Also takes a ton of strain off the center section of the wheel. But not real aesthetically pleasing either. The first thing my dad taught me is to get something, you gotta give something.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:29 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Yes, you can also increase the diameter of the rotor. Again, if you kept same calliper, same master cylinder and wanted the same sensation on the lever then you would need a rotor with twice the diameter of the original.

This is why, in general, the aftermarket solutions adjust a number of variables. Understanding the effect of each allows you to do the maths. If you want me to do a calc check for you PM me details of the various products and I will be happy to oblige

Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 AM
mllgator
Tourer

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
you have personal experience on this? or just doing what most on this forum do best, which is spew opinionated BS that they overheard at starbucks, or their service department? you should probably get real...

OP, there are plenty of us who ditched the stock dual brakes for singles. we're running 21, 23 & 26" wheels on a single 13" caliper. yes, there are considerations, but its quick to explain.

if you want more info, PM me or slothy (grabber blue SG w/ a 26")

also, conatact Paul at Native Custom Baggers or Cameron at CamTech Customs camtechcustom.com
Opinion yes, BS no. Don't go to Starbuks either.
However, I do have an civil engineering degree from an accredited US university and have a fairly good grasp on the physics associated with bringing a moving object to rest. As I said, it is an individuals personal decision to remove half the braking capability of their bike for asthetics, but do not expect it to perform as before. Oh yea, have a great day.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:52 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mllgator
Opinion yes, BS no. Don't go to Starbuks either.
However, I do have an civil engineering degree from an accredited US university and have a fairly good grasp on the physics associated with bringing a moving object to rest. As I said, it is an individuals personal decision to remove half the braking capability of their bike for asthetics, but do not expect it to perform as before. Oh yea, have a great day.
what does a CE degree have to do with this? furthermore, my point was and is that unless you have first hand knowledge of the question, why answer it with an opinion?

all the math and physics in the world looks great on an internet forum, but unless you've built a bike and tested it then you dont know for sure.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I am looking to put a new wheel on the front of my '07 SG.
My questions this: Can I go from a dual rotor to a single rotor and still keep the same braking ? Not if you retain the OEM caliper and rotor. I would hate to spend $$$ on a nice wheel only to have most of it covered by two clunky looking stock rotors. Most wheel vendors offer matching rotors.

Is there a company that makes rotors that are not as clunky looking as the HD ones?
The Brembo system HD introduced with the '08 Touring models is a major improvement in braking power over the '07 and older brakes, so ditching the dual front calipers/rotors and replacing the left side with a superior caliper/rotor/master cylinder/brake line would probably come close to equalling or exceeding what you have now--and I'd for sure ask for technical info from any vendor offering calipers/rotors/etc. to confirm that replacing the system you now have would not be a decrease in braking power with their product(s).

Good luck with your project.

Carl

PS: On my '04, I replaced the OEM front calipers, rotors, and m/c with Brembos while retaining the HD stainless brake lines and noticed a huge improvement in braking power; the HD tech who test rode my bike after bleeding the lines said he almost went over the gas tank when he hit the front brakes hard--that's using dual calipers.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:15 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I can tell you about the 1 guy I met that had a single sided 13" rotor with a 6 piston Pm caliper with a 21" front wheel on a FLHX. He got the bike that way and he didn't say anything negative about the front brake. But then he got big bore(103")heads cams exhaust etc., after the dynotune and after the mechanic took it for the shakedown run he handed it off to the owner. He took his bike out for a run and that dude came back sheet white. First words out of his mouth, "What can I do to get better brakes, this thing sucks" We all laughed as we saw the single brake and the 21" and wondered what the difference was, as it did look better. I think if a guy cruises and rides like he knows he removed some braking power he should be fine. But if you think its the same as 2 rotors and 8 pistons with a wider tire, you are mistaken.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:22 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

I have a stock 96" on my SG and plan on keeping it that way ... well, perhaps new cams in the not too distant future lol

All I what is a new wheel that is not covered by ugly *** rotors on both sides. I am not aggressive riding my SG.. dirt bikes yes!

Harleypingman can the Brembo can retro fitted to a '07 fairly easily? I have seen some nice wheels/rotors from Wannryd that would look good on my SG

Quick Reply: New wheel rotor question