Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006 | 03:19 PM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Installing cruise control

I'm expecting to receive my cruise control (77196-07) today and would like input from anyone who's installed one recently. My bike's an '07 SG and I assume the cruise control is a new design, based on the part number (-07). I did a search here and found some info, but mostly on older installs.

One question I have is do you adjust the throttle cables on the EFI the same way as with a carb bike? IOW, the front adjustment to bottom out full throttle and the back adjustment to set the slack at idle?

Anything I should watch out for?

Old 12-08-2006 | 03:58 PM
ICEMANNN
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installing cruise control

Take a look at this one : http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3578

Old 12-08-2006 | 04:19 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Before you start, go to the dealer and purchase four or five "c" clips, Harley part # 11193. These are very small and they hold the cruise control cable to the throttle. Putting that C clip on will be the hardest part of the installation and they are easily lost; so buying some extras is highly recommended since Harley only supplies one clip with the cruise unit. They are very inexpensive and easy to lose due to the location of the cable attachment between the cylinders. Also, an extra pair of hands to push the cable from the left side of the bike is extremely helpful to provide some slack when you are on the right side trying to put on that tiny c clip.

The instructionsdo notcome with an "initialization" step which is probably what you are concerned about. It is very simple--just follow the directions in the Service Manual. (Edited to reflect "initialization" is not covered in the kit instructions, but the Service manual.)

Before my cruise installation a couple of weeks ago, in addition to the 11193 clips, I also bought a couple of extra brass ferules for the throttle and idle cables in case I lost the installed ones when dissassembling/reassembling the grip. Didn't lose any ferrules, but the c clip that came with the kit is somewhere in the garage--glad I had extras. HTH

Old 12-08-2006 | 11:41 PM
BUBBA
Tourer

I had the Dealer install mine less Hassle

Old 12-08-2006 | 11:45 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did mine a few weeks ago. Went smooth and with out much problems except for the "C" clip issue and that wasn't all that bad.

Old 12-09-2006 | 01:44 AM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member

Well, I went ahead and did it, and it took much longer than I expected. The tough parts were figuring out where to insert the switch wires into the 12-point connector, as the instructions didn't even mention it! Fortunately, I also received a service manual in the same shipment, so I checked the schematic and figured it out from there. There's no excuse for this not being in the instructions! Also, there was an unexpected delay going to the HD shop to get a spare ferrule that disappeared, despite efforts to be careful. Of course, 10 sec. after returning the damn thing fell out of the switch housing, a place I had looked several times before! I also couldn't remove the key-lock assembly. Holding that confounded release pin down while turning just didn't work, so I removed the side screws from the plastic bezel, bent it back a bit, and managed to get the switches out and back in.

The clip was not hard at all. Just use a very long pair of bent needle-nose pliars, hold it in the center of the closed portion, and enter the area from the top right. Piece of cake.

My instructions have no mention of an "initialization" phase, but when finished I switched it on and saw the switch light and speedometer icon illuminate, so it at least passed the smoke test, and I assume if there was a fault it would've been reported when I first switched on the ignition. Too cold to ride tonight, but will get out tomorrow and do a test. If someone has a breakdown of the "initialization" procedure, please forward it. Thanks for all replies.

Old 12-09-2006 | 01:55 AM
FLWanderer
Cruiser

Couple of items below that you might want to do.......

Init....

- Hold Resume, turn ignition on, before starting with the resume button pressed, light on tac is RED
- IMMEDIATELY after starting the engine while holding resume, light turns green
- After 3 seconds, the light turns red again
- After it turns red, I pressed and held resume, light turns green, stepper kicks in, RPM bumps up, drops right back down, light goes back to red.

The light never went out, it was always red or green. It was red before starting the engine, green IMMEDIATELY after starting engine for 3 seconds, then back to red.

RollOff...

If you have tech manual go to idle cable adjust for cruise control for roll off adjust. If not.....
Go to the module and disconnect harness, adjust idle cable to full slack, place ohmmeter probe on the violet/yellow and orange/violet leads on connector plug. It should read infinity. Now adjust idle cable grip to about .06 " play. With the meter still hooked up, apply force to grip to decrease play or roll off. It should now read continuity on the meter. When you roll on the throttle it will read infinity again. Make sure you do this in all positions of handle bar lock to lock.
Bottom line.... infinity when your hand is off the throttle ....continuity when you apply pressure to throttle at it's resting place.. Adjust free play untill this happens.

Old 12-09-2006 | 02:14 AM
jmxp
Tourer

Here are some of my musings on installing cruise control. Good luck with it. Get some beer and take your time. It's a cool project.

J

Old 12-09-2006 | 10:49 AM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member

I think I have the initialization thing down, so I'll do that later this afternoon along with a test ride when it gets above freezing. Will report back at that time. In the meantime, I'll have to check the ohmeter procedure, as I'm not sure where the contact points are. I do have my manual here at the ready.

Old 12-09-2006 | 12:07 PM
oscarmeyers69
Novice

The initialization procedure is in the service manual. C/C is awesome!!

Quick Reply: Installing cruise control