Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006 | 09:10 PM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Installing cruise control

Well, it initialized fine and works--so the project is over. Now, I need to install air horns, oil cooler, and more small stuff. I'll eventually get this thing set up the way I want.

Old 12-09-2006 | 09:31 PM
fryeca
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did a search on cruise control installation...this is one of my projects over XMAS, looks like I need more beer?

Question:

Are the directions that are supplied with this installation all that is needed; I haven't purchased a repair manual yet.

Old 12-09-2006 | 10:06 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the cruise control come with a chrome switch housing[sm=smiley25.gif] The website makes no mention.

I just had chrome housings installed on both sides. Will this make a difference[sm=smiley25.gif]

Old 12-10-2006 | 01:05 AM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: fryeca

Just did a search on cruise control installation...this is one of my projects over XMAS, looks like I need more beer?

Question:

Are the directions that are supplied with this installation all that is needed; I haven't purchased a repair manual yet.
No, and that's my biggest complaint. There are two items in the procedure that aren't even mentioned: (1) Merging the wires from the switch to the 12-point switch connector under the fairing and (2) doing the final "initialization" sequence. The instructions mention that "a service manual for your model motorcycle is required for this installation...." Oddly, info to accomplish the first isn't even in that section at all, but Section 8.20 (Fairing Cap Switches). Here is the info based on my '07 SG, but they're probably common to all FLH models:

(1) The new Cruise switch will have four wires, the blank black wire (no connector) can be ignored. The Accessory Switch already in the fairing has one end of the 12-point connector already attached to it. See the attached scan for a view from the front (end) of the connector.

The Cruise section of the switch connector under the fairing include points 4,5, and 12. The orange/violet wire goes to 4, red/green to 5, and black/green to 12 (ground). These aren't marked on the connector, to make it even more confusing. The very small connector points from the Cruise switch must be shoved into the back of this connector, so use the above illustration of the front as a reference. The small connector points didn't go in easily for me, and I used a small screwdriver to convince them to go in all the way. Look at the small connectors of the wires already installed to get an idea of what they must look like when inserted. If they don't go in far enough they won't make contact when the connector is re-attached.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4327/4A66811BF2254A94B80A5E42AB0DCFD2.jpg[/IMG]

(2) After everything is installed, do this initialization procedure:

a. Push the Cruise Switch on the right handebar to RESUME and hold.
b. Turn the Cruise ON/OFF switch to ON.
c. Turn the ignition/Light key switch to IGNITION.
d. Start the engine. The green Cruise Enable/Engaged lamp in the tachometer face will illuminate. Wait 3 second for the lamp to go off.
e. Release the Cruise Switch from the RESUME and hold.
f. Push the Cruise Switch to RESUME and hold. Cruise will pull in cable until change in RPM is detected. The number of motor steps required to rev the engine is stored in memory.
g. After engine reve and Cruise Enable/Engaged lamp is extinguiished, release the Cruise Switch from the RESUME position.
h. Turn the Ignition/Light Key Switch fo OFF.

Had there been sufficient instructions for these points it would've taken me perhaps two hours to complete the job. That plus the fact that the brake MC and switch housing didn't want to mate back, and losing one ferrule and having to go to the HD shop to get another one. Of course the lost ferrule was found 10 seconds after I returned, so now I have a spare.

Now, if someone could explain to me how to remove the ignition key lock. I tried multiple times to remove it using a small screwdriver (per the instructions) and after that a dinner knife, but no go.

Old 12-10-2006 | 01:23 AM
coolnite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing the ignition switch: Folow the instructions in the Service Manual. After depressing the tab you turn the KEY not the whole assembly.

Old 12-10-2006 | 02:19 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

MSRS71: The factory cruise unit comes with black switch housings. You will need to purchase the lower right handlebar switch housing in chrome. Ask your dealer to do a parts break down on the Ultra Classic chrome switch housing set and it should show a seperate part number for the lower right housing. I just did a cruise install on my '04 EG and ordered the Ultra classic chrome set, but then ordered the lower left housing in chrome because I don't have a CB and the Ultra set lower left housing includes a hole for the PTT button.

You will need the lower right in chrome because the set you bought has no provision for the set/resume switch of the cruise control.

Old 12-10-2006 | 12:08 PM
fryeca
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info guys! Thanks...

Old 12-10-2006 | 02:02 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BUBBA

I had the Dealer install mine less Hassle
Me too. Even when installed by the dealer though, there could always be a gremlin hiding in there. In my case one of the pins in the main coupling was defective and drove the techs to distraction trouble shooting it. It took them a few days even with help from a service rep from the Moco assisting them. Just imagine you by your lonesome trying to deal with this in your garage in the wee hours. My dealer has done well by me so I trust their sevice techs. If your dealer is good, let them handle stuff like this.

Old 12-11-2006 | 12:18 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

MSRS51: The part number for the chrome right lower switch housing to accommodate cruise control is 71612-96 and lists for about $45.