Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bub 7 true dual exhaust for touring models

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 05:38 PM
tee895
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bub 7 true dual exhaust for touring models

I just wanted to post my opinion on the Bub 7 true dual exhaust system I just installed on my 2012 Harley FLHX. In two words, "It sucks!" First off, the bracket design that holds the left header/pipe is terrible. You can tell it will more than likely snap or fall apart while riding and according to two buddies that have the Rinehart system, (Same design), it will fall apart and need welding like theirs did.

Onto the left pipe itself. The severe bend it must take to get from the exhaust port to the left side of the bike is incredible. Because this bend is so pronounced, it is nearly impossible to tighten the lower exhaust flange nut with conventional tools. I had to go out and buy a set of stubby wrenches to get in there where I could somewhat tighten the nut down. A regular open end wrench will not fit, the box end will not fit, a socket will not fit.

Lastly, the route the left exhaust pipe takes is awful. It runs right above the left passenger footpeg which places it within a couple inches of a passengers leg. Unless you are dating a woman with only one right leg, she will NOT be happy with this chicken **** set up. When you attempt to fold the passenger peg back into the upright position when you do not have a passenger, it will not work because about 3/4 of the way up, the footpeg strikes the side of the nice and hot pipe. Unless you have a footpeg with no rubber on it, it will melt.

Overall, this exhaust system sucks. If you are a solo rider, it should work for you and the only problem you should have is making the left pipe bracket more sturdy. I now know why Bub 7 doesn't show you a good stock photo of their system installed from the left side of the bike. Buyer beware!

Old 12-26-2011, 05:49 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Do you still plan on keeping it? If possible, attempt to send it back.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:45 PM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crows foot wrench is what you need to tighten the nut on the lower bolt. I have rineharts tds, which sound similar to your system. Its a bit*h getting at it. My passenger pegs dont hit the pipes though.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:42 PM
tee895
Novice

They won't take it back since it's been installed. Anyways, here is what I mean about lack of clearance.

Attached Thumbnails Bub 7 true dual exhaust for touring models-pipes.jpg  
Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by tee895
They won't take it back since it's been installed. Anyways, here is what I mean about lack of clearance.
Wow, why doesn't the left pipe cross under the frame like the newer style Rineharts?

Old 12-26-2011, 09:09 PM
tee895
Novice

You got me. I just wanted to let others know how jacked up these pipes are before spending their money on them. That footpeg will fold up about 3/4 of the way when it hits the pipe. I'm sure I could put a spacer on it, but a half inch of spacer isn't going to help with someone's leg being that close to the pipe.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:19 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

They won't take it back??? That right there would have prevented me from buying from them. I'm completely happy with my American Custom pipes. But even if I wasn't, they'd take them back within 30 days of delivery, even if they'd been installed and ridden with during that 30 days. THAT is customer service.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by aviscomi
Wow, why doesn't the left pipe cross under the frame like the newer style Rineharts?
Rinehart makes two style of pipes for the newer bikes now, a set like yours with the cross under, and a "Classic" style true dual where one pipe comes out each side like on the older bikes.

As for the OP, that does not look right at all, did you find out if with your bike you need the passenger peg relocation kit?

Old 12-26-2011, 10:12 PM
mja52403
Cruiser
Default Might be of help...

For what it's worth, I have installed the Bub 7 duals on my 08 RK and a set of the new Reinhart's on an 09 RK. Both came with a spacer for the left passenger floorboard and moved it away from the pipe about 3/4 of an inch or so. Is it close to the passengers foot? Absolutely, bot not any closer than it was on the 08 and older models. Make sure you have the new bracket installed correctly, as it may be part of the problem. If you didn't get the spacer for the floorboard, I would complain.... But check to make sure you have the correct kit first, because my instructions clearly indicated this part of the proceedure. Hope this helps.

Check to make sure the exhaust kit you have is for the model year of your bike.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by thenewrage
crows foot wrench is what you need to tighten the nut on the lower bolt. I have rineharts tds, which sound similar to your system. Its a bit*h getting at it.
That's what I use, too.

Quick Reply: Bub 7 true dual exhaust for touring models