Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck ramp ideas!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:02 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have hauled in truck with and without shell(both sucked) and on a trailer three times, all not too bad as the trailers were low mount and had full width end ramp/gates. If it were me, I would invest in a trailer for hauling, fully enclosed and able to store the 'extra' stuff you want to go along. Currently the little woman and I prefer to ride ours where we want to go but if I were to buy another ride outstate a trailer would be the ticket.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:53 AM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure why you don't buy or rent a trailer(big enough for two bikes)I have loaded mine several times in a truck and it's not fun. Like others, alway try to get the tailgate as low as possible or the bike up before using a ramp. At my old house it was easy, had a section of the drive that could back the truck up to the side of the drive and it was almost a level ride in. If you get somewhere and there is no such place and you have to back it down the ramp, it can be scarey and dangerous. Saw a couple of bikes dropped, and rode off the ramp sides. Just get a large enough trailer to haul them safely or leave son at home with Grandma and ride.

Joe

Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've hauled all of my motorcycles in the bed of my Ram or a Superduty Ford before, ranging from dirtbikes to my Road King.

With two people helping you'll probably be okay with your Deluxe, but for a bagger it's safer to just go to a dealer, they'll be able to help you. One dealer of mine did it for free, the other dealer asked for a small donation to their shop water fund. I loaded it up myself (with the girlfriend spotting) once at a loading dock and it's a pain because there is still a substantial height difference between the tailgate and the dock itself. You can drive around looking for appropriate ditches, curbs or loading docks, but if you have a dealer nearby it's the quickest and safest method.

I have the 1000 pound version of these:

http://www.readyramp.com/

It's really convenient as unless you have an 8 foot bed there will be a portion of the motorcycle hanging over the tailgate and you'll be unable to close it. It straps down to the tailgate and works like a charm. It also folds up nicely, you could then strap it to the side of the bed or inside the trailer with two quick release ratchet straps so it doesn't move around and touch either of the bikes.

I couldn't close the tailgate on the 8 foot bed because of my fishtails. If I had the stock exhaust or something that didn't stick out 10" past the rear fender you'd still be able to close the tailgate on an 8 foot bed. If you roll with the tailgate down you will have to check clearance to the trailer, though.

Regardless of if you use a ramp or load it at the dealer, buy one of these for the back of the truck:

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-97841.html

They go on sale for ~$50 all the time, and will make the bike substantially safer in the bed of the truck. You don't have to mount it to anything, just place it in the bed and when the bike is in it with the straps on it, the chock keeps it upright and it won't move. It's worth the peace of mind. It'll hold the heaviest of bikes up even if the straps are missing, although I wouldn't haul it like that.

Edit: I'll also add that I load dirtbikes up just from level pavement all the time. I would not do that with any Harley regardless of how much help you have, it's too top heavy and it's hard to control when it's 4' off the ground. The only potential exception would be a stock or lowered 2wd truck. You'll have to find someplace to minimize the height difference between the ground and the bed of the truck if you don't go to a dealer.

Good luck!

Last edited by blusmbl; 12-27-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:28 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you don't plan to haul the bikes much and don't want to invest in a nice trailer, your cheapest way is to take the bike and truck to your nearest Dealer. Load the bike in the bed there. When you get to the Rally, you will get plenty of help to lift the bike off the Trailer. I saw a guy and his wife pull into the parking lot where we were staying at a rally. They had a Road King in the back of a Pickup and no Ramp. The HOT lady got out and in minutes had more than enough to litterly lift the bike from the Truck bed.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I would consider renting an Enclosed trailer large enough to hold/carry both bikes.

Ease of loading and unloading, You can secure your other items in the trailer other than carrying them in the truck. A couple of locks you have simi secure parking for your bikes over night (locked in the trailer).

I have put a bike in the back of the truck for long trips and was always uncomfortable with it there, I Have also dumped a bike trying to load it in the back of the truck and won't do it again. Thankfully it wasn't a harley but it did do a lot of damage.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:51 AM
tbell1961
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This guy had a lot of help......and things still didn't work out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDS3F...eature=related

Be careful.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:28 PM
straightleg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbell1961
This guy had a lot of help......and things still didn't work out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDS3F...eature=related

Be careful.

With no were to put your feet (rider)if you leaned, one way or the other and the help is all around with the weight of something heavy like a bike above your chest and arms - whole group of idiots.

Even with the tri folding ramp where I could put my feet down on each side, I surely did not like getting my road king out of my full size truck.
Buy a trailer or rent one.
I would never put my bike in my truck again, last resort.
If a touring bike falls over, good luck catching it.

Straightleg

Old 12-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Ricky06Roadking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rent a 16X7 tandum and stay in it. Pull the bikes out and park them under a easy-up. 3 can sleep in the trailer. What you save in motel fees makes up the difference. Weather should be cool enough and most camp grounds have good RR/shower facilities. Take a couple of ice chests a 2 burner Coleman stove and cook your own groceries and save more $.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:57 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by j1mmy
an atv ramp is the safest because it leaves you room to put your feet down on the ramp.the bike stalls, looses traction, or goes off center half way up the ramp pretty often.. i think a standard harbor freight or bike shop aluminum ramp or a 2x10 is the easiest to use if you back the truck up to a hill about level with the tailgate, then roll the bike rite in with the ramp bridging a short gap. you stand next to the bike so you dont add extra weight to the ramp, and you are not going to loose your balance and fall over.. the best tip is, a friend to help balance, is always good to have around when loading a bike.
you can get a pretty good used utility trailer that a couple bikes can fit on for under a grand. i got a nice home made one once,made with a mobile home axle and wheels (it still sits in my yard just in case) cost me $150 with a vw trike frame tied to it that i sold for $200..

Right there is the BIG one. If you can't put you feet down you are in deep trouble.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I only use a trailer once or twice a year so didn't want to spend a lot of money. I don't have a truck so loading the bike that way was out. I found a used Kendon trailer on Craigslist. Spent $40 on some rustoleum safety red paint, $19 at Harbor Freight for a whole new lighting harness (just because I wanted no problems with wiring/lighting.), and about $50 on bearing buddies and new bearings. I then found a tri-fold ramp to load with. I've only used the trailer once so far but it handled my Deuce and a buddy's EGUC with no problems. (The ramp fits between the bikes and is tied down with heavy duty rubber bungees.)

I wanted a Kendon so that I could stand it up in the garage. It was the one concession I made to the wife. She didn't want "an old trailer in the driveway".
Neither did I, but she thinks I did it for her.

Last edited by Deucedog; 12-27-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Truck ramp ideas!!