Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck ramp ideas!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 03:15 PM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the blackwidow ramp from discount ramps,they good to deal with.the ramp works great and easy to store...you might also want to look into a wheel chock for your p/u bed to secure your bike

Old 12-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 584 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
Guess I didn't mention that I need to be able to take this ramp with us to unload/reload when we get to our destination I am concerned about a ramp knocking around on my bike. Looked up some folding ramps that will actually fit in the cab of the pickup I can't imagine my kid will be too comfortable riding that far with a ramp up his rear end.
Mkguitar, does this ramp fold up as the name implies? Guess I'll need to strap my bike and strap the ramp, too. Just not a ton of room in the bed of the tundra. What to do...What to do?
Why not store any ramp you buy in the trailer? The few times I've had to use my trailer I put all the extras, including luggage in the trailer. Makes a long drive in a cramped truck much nicer. If you folks were near me, you could borrow my trailer. I have a 7 x 14 V nose, w/ramp door set up extremely nice for hauling 2 dressers. One other note.... Harbor Freight has nice ramps at the best prices.

Last edited by Northwoodz; 12-26-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:33 PM
FLHTCU2007Ken
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A pickup truck is a lot higher than a trailer. We converted an old snowmobile/atv trailer and used that.

You can see the ramps we used between the two bikes on the trailer. They were the "folding" type. The third time we used them, they buckled. It was scary. My advise: whatever you use, practice... practice... practice... And the previous poster is correct. Minimize the differential by backing the truck/trailer up against a hill or culvert or whatever's handy...

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Truck ramp ideas!!-dscn2218.jpg  
Old 12-26-2011, 09:14 PM
JoeFLHX
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Before the advent of cheap trailers dealers always used 2x10...been using a 2x10 for decades...and it doesn't take any room on the bed...bolt a piece of angle iron on the end so it grabs the bed...or a long bolt works just as well...man up and give a it try...$15 out the door.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:03 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

Durring winter a few years ago I brought my now sold 95 flstn home in the back of my truck we used folding ramps that we got from lowes, one ramp for the bike and one to walk it down. We used three strong people and it was still scary. Have used a 2x10 on one extension of a extension ladder after that is when we got the folding ramps.

Last edited by SeeMeDo; 12-26-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:33 PM
rlaf75
Tourer

Which ever way you decide to go (folding ramp or piece of wood) just make sure you remember to secure the ramp to the truck when loading and unloading. Seen way too many bikes come down hard cuz of stupidity. Also you can get a desent size utility trailer from a home depot or similar store for under a thousand dollars. And you can use it for other thing as well when the bikes arent on it. Just a thought

Old 12-26-2011, 10:52 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

an atv ramp is the safest because it leaves you room to put your feet down on the ramp.the bike stalls, looses traction, or goes off center half way up the ramp pretty often.. i think a standard harbor freight or bike shop aluminum ramp or a 2x10 is the easiest to use if you back the truck up to a hill about level with the tailgate, then roll the bike rite in with the ramp bridging a short gap. you stand next to the bike so you dont add extra weight to the ramp, and you are not going to loose your balance and fall over.. the best tip is, a friend to help balance, is always good to have around when loading a bike.
you can get a pretty good used utility trailer that a couple bikes can fit on for under a grand. i got a nice home made one once,made with a mobile home axle and wheels (it still sits in my yard just in case) cost me $150 with a vw trike frame tied to it that i sold for $200..

Last edited by j1mmy; 12-26-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:53 PM
NorCalFBLO
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the Big Boy II ramp from discountramps.com. I'm able to ride/walk the bike up the ramp with no problem into my Ford F250. The ramps fold up and I place them inside the cab for security.

http://www.discountramps.com/big-boy...cycle-ramp.htm

Old 12-27-2011, 07:38 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
I'm coming to you guys for help. My BF and I have 2010 FLHP and 2007 deluxe and are planning to go to Daytona this year in March with our bikes. Since it is still quite cold here in upstate NY in March and since we are taking my 14 year old son who doesn't have much patience for riding for long periods of time we have decided to trailer our bikes. Santa spent quite a bit of $$ this year so we are thinking of renting a trailer and can only find a rental for one bike so are thinking of putting my deluxe in the back of our Tundra for the trip.
I've done a bit of research on ramps but am hoping you boys may have some experience in this area and may be able to tell me what has worked out for you, good brands, bad brands, ideas?
We originally thought about purchasing an enclosed trailer but the $$ is just not going to be there this year and we really don't take long trips often enough to make it worthwhile.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
DW
are you going to use u-haul for the motorcycle trailer? better check with them, i tried this with my buddies tundra and they said no go!! beings there wasn't a hard cover on the back, safety reason's, and seeing your going to haul the other bike in the back of the truck you won't have a hard cover. so that blew that idea, but got lucky and found a kendon dual trailer on Craig list for 900 bucks. thought i throw this out there just in case.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 AM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You are in Hillsdale? Why not find a horse trailer you can rent or borrow?

Quick Reply: Truck ramp ideas!!