Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing right throttle grip 2011 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:28 PM
G|man
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing right throttle grip 2011 ultra

I have a new pair of grips for a 2011 Ultra. The one page instructions say to refer to the service manual on how to remove and replace the throttle grip Any one know how this is done without spending another $60 on a service manaul?

Last edited by G|man; 12-25-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:35 PM
EastSideBikerTrash
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the 2 screws that hold the collar on and the old one should slide right off. Go easy when you slide the new one on and make sure that the plastic gears are seated. It really is that simple on bikes that don't have throttle cables.

Dave

Old 12-25-2011, 06:48 PM
funnythebunny
Tourer

I did mine without a manual. Strt with the switch housings and then gently pull on the throttle cap where the little potentiometer is wired to the grip. Be gentle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VdfjQULwHo

Old 12-25-2011, 08:43 PM
BIGVTWIN
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you do the left grip first. Due to the gears the grip might not set the way the left does.

Last edited by BIGVTWIN; 12-26-2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Meant left not right
Old 12-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hope that You are not using the Kury ISO grips. I found Them to have a very sloppy fit on the throttle side. Comfortable Yes, but I could'nt stand how much movement there was. Went with the HD grips. Happy Camper now.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Krow
Tourer

Originally Posted by BIGVTWIN
Make sure you do the right grip first. Due to the gears the grip might not set the way the left does.
Maybe if you're installing after market grips. When I installed my HD Get-a-Grips, I had to put the left one on first. They are not glued on but a collar fits into the switch housing. It will only sit in one position. After putting the left one on, then you install the right one which can be placed anywhere where the gears in the end mesh up. It too is held by the switch housing. Easy install.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:08 AM
seph10
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure you don't push it on too hard,,it can bind up a little,,,

Old 05-14-2018, 10:44 PM
RickkicR
Advanced

I'll bring this subject / thread, back to life. For the life of me, I can't get the cover off / removed, on the throttle side. Can only remove 3 screws.... the '4th' .. is a mystery ... did a quick video showing my problem..

Help

Old 05-15-2018, 11:53 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by RickkicR
I'll bring this subject / thread, back to life. For the life of me, I can't get the cover off / removed, on the throttle side. Can only remove 3 screws.... the '4th' .. is a mystery ... did a quick video showing my problem..

Help

https://youtu.be/pl7xzTk25BA
Try to find the replacement housing. Then look at the part and see where the mounting holes are located.

Last edited by DanHappy; 05-15-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:34 PM
RickkicR
Advanced

Originally Posted by DanHappy
Try to find the replacement housing. Then look at the part and see where the mounting holes are located.
No go .. .never kept the original OEM ... I'm 99% sure this is a Kuryakn part.... after i posted that video, got on their site and found what I believe to be the part ... pics.. .. and .. the instructions... but .. I'll be damned if I can find this 'hidden screw'... even emailed them for clarification ... I went out yet again last night ... one more look knowing I must be blind.. apparently .. I am
NOTE The OEM switch housing uses a fastener directly in the middle of the top half housing. Thesereplacement chrome switch housings feature a hidden fastener, which gives a much nicer appearanceand a flowing upper finish. Both chrome switch housing fasteners will be inserted through the lowerswitch housing. Mounting holes are located at the right rear and the left front of the lower switchhousing

Quick Reply: Replacing right throttle grip 2011 ultra