Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Universal helmet lock mounting location?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 06:01 PM
bthinnes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal helmet lock mounting location?

So Santa brought me a universal helmet lock and I am at a loss as to where I might want to mount it. Any suggetions? Front engine guard?? Saddle bag guard?? Exposed frame member somewhere??

Old 12-25-2011, 06:13 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Mounted mine to the engine guard

Old 12-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

When I bought my bike, I mounted the lock on the left (port) engine guard. When I wanted to put highway pegs on, it was in the way, so I switched it to the right side.

When you mount it, toss the security screws. And get some stainless steel set screws instead. Then you won't have to drill them out if you want to move it.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:32 PM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine's been on a shelf in the shed since I bought the bike. Still haven't found a spot I like...

Old 12-25-2011, 06:35 PM
bthinnes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ron750
When you mount it, toss the security screws. And get some stainless steel set screws instead. Then you won't have to drill them out if you want to move it.
Amen to that! I noticed them right away and figured that I would choose locktight and some torx heads instead of the security heads. A little heat and and you can defeat the lock tight.

Do you just let your helmet hang then?

Old 12-25-2011, 06:35 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

I put it on the left side engine guard and I hang the helmet on the highway peg

Old 12-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Louisianarider
Tourer

I know you already own the universal helmet lock, but here's another option if you can't seem to find the right place to mount it. I have several gun locks that feed through the chamber of the gun like the one in the pic below. If you have a spare one sitting around the house, they work perfect for helmet locks. I carry one in my saddlebag and when needed, I lock my helmet to the crash bar, handlebars, front forks, wherever. When I'm done, back in the saddlebag it goes. It doesn't take up much room and there's no hardware to mount! YMMV

Attached Thumbnails Universal helmet lock mounting location?-gun-lock-typical.jpg  
Old 12-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Jim_G
Intermediate

I put mine on the top of the right engine guard and set my helmet on top instead of hanging it. That way if it rains, the inside of the helmet doesn't get soaked.

I found that if you install the security screws without locktite, you can get them off after 6,000 mile of riding with no effort at all. My lock fell off onto the highway while riding. Fortunately, I heard it fall off and was able to go back and get it, complete with screws and only a little beat up by being run over.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:55 PM
bthinnes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Louisianarider
I know you already own the universal helmet lock, but here's another option if you can't seem to find the right place to mount it. I have several gun locks that feed through the chamber of the gun like the one in the pic below. If you have a spare one sitting around the house, they work perfect for helmet locks. I carry one in my saddlebag and when needed, I lock my helmet to the crash bar, handlebars, front forks, wherever. When I'm done, back in the saddlebag it goes. It doesn't take up much room and there's no hardware to mount! YMMV
Great idea for when the wife is with. I have several collecting dust that I could use as my guns have a cosy safe to keep the young ones from temptation.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:17 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine is on the right side engine guard.

Quick Reply: Universal helmet lock mounting location?