Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Glove Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 01:32 AM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Heated Glove Question

Hello everyone,

I searched but couldn't really find a definitive answer on this, so I figured I'd start a new thread.

I went riding today in 30 degree weather and everything was find except the tips of my fingers. After a 30 minute ride, the tips of my fingers hurt because it was so cold out. The gloves I have are a decent, insulated winter glove, but nothing special.

My question is as follows; do the heated gloves also heat the tips of your fingers? Also, since I have the winter gloves already, I was considering just getting heated glove liners to save a few bucks. Is anyone out there using the liners? How are they? How do they stack up the the regular glove in terms of warmth?

Last question, is the temperature controller from any of the companies out there really necessary for gloves? I don't want to like set my hands on fire if they get too warm...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 12-25-2011, 01:41 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I use both the plug in and battery powered

Gloves. Both are from HD. The battery ones have 4 settings and work very well at keeping the fingers warm. The plug in ones work exceptionally well when plugged in with a controller. I have no idea what the liners are like. I've never experienced the problem of them being too hot but you need to always consider what the outside temp is when setting the heat. Good luck.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:59 AM
NC Patriot Rider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mglax13
Hello everyone,

I searched but couldn't really find a definitive answer on this, so I figured I'd start a new thread.

I went riding today in 30 degree weather and everything was find except the tips of my fingers. After a 30 minute ride, the tips of my fingers hurt because it was so cold out. The gloves I have are a decent, insulated winter glove, but nothing special.

My question is as follows; do the heated gloves also heat the tips of your fingers? Also, since I have the winter gloves already, I was considering just getting heated glove liners to save a few bucks. Is anyone out there using the liners? How are they? How do they stack up the the regular glove in terms of warmth?

Last question, is the temperature controller from any of the companies out there really necessary for gloves? I don't want to like set my hands on fire if they get too warm...

I tried the glove liners, but returned them for the heated gloves. IMO, the gloves worked better. Yes, they heat your finger tips. As for the controller, I found it to be a must, cause I also have the heated socks, over-pants, and jacket liner. Have ridden in the mid 20's without becoming cold, and I don't handle to cold weather well. All of my gear is Gerbing.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:58 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Gerbing gloves and they are pricless in the cold. The controller is a must. This year in March, a bunch of us road from Houston to Daytona in the rain and cold. I had jusy recieved the gloves the day before we lift. I didn't order the controller at that time, I knew that Gerbing would be at Daytona, and I'd pick one up there. So I pluged the gloves direcly to the battery. After riding in the rain and cold all day, with the gloves pluged in. That night, I had blisters on all my knuckes from the gloves being so hot. I do have a controller now and all is well. Sorry for the long reply.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:11 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,816 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Ride to work year round, sometimes in 20 degree weather. Only electric clothing I have is the gloves and I couldn't do the ride without them.

The controller is indeed a 'must.'

Old 12-25-2011, 07:15 AM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the gloves and yes they work, I also bought the gerbing xe jacket and went riding in 12 degree weather yesterday morning and altho my face froze off my body and hands were warm. If I did it all over again I'd probably just get the jacket liner with gloves, the jacket and liner both come pre wired for the gloves.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:23 AM
alame
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heated gloves, jacket liner, pant liner, heated seat........a must in this part of the world if you want to ride in comfort......going for the heated socks next !!

Old 12-25-2011, 07:27 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Originally Posted by mglax13
Hello everyone,

The good ones do everything you need.
You may want the controller

Old 12-25-2011, 08:25 AM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 56 Posts

I have Gerbings....well worth it...you will not be disappointed ...btw I believe they make them too for HD..

Old 12-25-2011, 08:35 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The controller is a must as the gloves or liners will get too hot without it. I ride all day long and would be miserable without it. I have the jacket liner, gloves, pant liner and sock liner. Keeps me toasty.

Quick Reply: Heated Glove Question