Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duetch connector wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Moneywoes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Duetch connector wiring question

I'm going to be doing the detach tour pac/sissy bar luggage rack install in the next week or two as the parts arrive.

I've ordered the duecth connectors for the factory rear speaker and tour pack light harnesses and also the J&M speaker harness so I can just disconnect all the wires under the seat and not have to coil wires. Ordered both gray and black connectors, will use gray on the left side and black on the right side harnesses.

My question is when wiring the connectors in the harness under the seat what side of the connector Male/Female should be on the power side and what side should be on the speaker/lights side?

Old 12-23-2011, 08:47 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I would think you would want the female on the power side and the male on the removable side. That way when disconnected they cant touch anything metal.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Moneywoes
Tourer

KCFLHRC
That does sound reasonable. I also ordered the dummy plugs and dummy caps for all connectors and the connector boots, more to keep a waterproof termination when not connected, but keeping the female on the power side to lessen potentail for shorts make sense.

Thanks,

Old 12-23-2011, 08:58 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

It really shouldn't matter. The female contacts are recessed and protected so it would be a stretch for anything under the seat to come into contact with any half of a Deutch connector. In my detatchabe set up I used male and female connectors into the harness(es) which makes for easy plug in from the detatchabe side. No mismatching plugs.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:21 PM
In2It
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the reason female contacts are shrouded so they don't short out.As an avionics tech in the aircraft world you always use female contacts on the power side so you don't short anything out.Plastic or rubber dust caps are also a good idea to keep moisture out and grime.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 PM
eglideic
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Moneywoes
I'm going to be doing the detach tour pac/sissy bar luggage rack install in the next week or two as the parts arrive.

I've ordered the duecth connectors for the factory rear speaker and tour pack light harnesses and also the J&M speaker harness so I can just disconnect all the wires under the seat and not have to coil wires. Ordered both gray and black connectors, will use gray on the left side and black on the right side harnesses.

My question is when wiring the connectors in the harness under the seat what side of the connector Male/Female should be on the power side and what side should be on the speaker/lights side?
I suggest looking at the HD wiring diagram and duplicating the factory wiring.
That way anyone who may have to service the bike or the sound system isn't scratching his head and wondering what clown wired this bike.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Moneywoes
Tourer

Originally Posted by eglideic
I suggest looking at the HD wiring diagram and duplicating the factory wiring.
That way anyone who may have to service the bike or the sound system isn't scratching his head and wondering what clown wired this bike.

Good suggestion, and based on the thoughts of myself and others I'm surprised at what I found. Looked at the wiring diagrahms to get the connector pin outs for the different wire colors, Eg. right rear speaker connector pin (1) is PK/W wire. It also looks like the MOCO has the male side of the plug on the power side on both the rear audio and the tour pack lights harnesses. The MOCO isn't consistant throughout the bike with this methology though.

I guess I'll stick with the MOCO wiring male power/ female accesory side of connector wiring for this project. I'll be using the protective boots on the backside of the connectors to the harness for added water/weatherproofing and dummy plugs and caps for a waterproof termination when the tourpack is disconnected.

Thanks

Old 12-24-2011, 07:48 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you guys get your crimpers ??? I have some Deutsch connectors for my rear saddlebags, but haven't installed them yet.

I see the crimpers are over $ 200 !! YIKES !!

http://www.wirecare.com/Deutsch-Crimping-Tools.asp

Old 12-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Moneywoes
Tourer

http://www.performanceplusconnection..._Tool_Kit.html

I've used these on both the delphi style and the duetch style connectors. Probably takes a little more time than using the "offical" duetch connector crimpers, but the crimps look very good when done and are very secure. I do use the stamped pins, not the solid pins. I don't know if this tool would work with the solid pins.

Last edited by Moneywoes; 12-24-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:45 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't believe we have the solid pins in most of the wiring harnesses on our bikes. The standard crimps that work for Delphi pins are fine (sometimes called W crimps). The solid pin versions are normally used in airplanes and instrumentation, I haven't seen them on production vehicles.

Quick Reply: Duetch connector wiring question