Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone install a K&P Stainless Mesh Oil Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Ray F.
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
I think this thread is pure speculation and no one has a real clue, someone prove me wrong and show data from a scientific standpoint, than I will give my apologies.
1. I didn't speculate anything. It's pretty clear, from a "scientific standpoint" that if you believe my guages, my oil pressure increased and running temperature decreased. Do you have anything "scientific" that disputes this or any other claims?

2. As far as micron size is concerned, do you realize that your paper filter can pass particles 50 microns or larger and be labeled "10 micron"? They use a Beta Ratio test & it only requires half of the trapped particulates to be 10 microns.

3. Define "devastating."

Old 01-13-2012, 09:21 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray F.
1. I didn't speculate anything. It's pretty clear, from a "scientific standpoint" that if you believe my guages, my oil pressure increased and running temperature decreased. Do you have anything "scientific" that disputes this or any other claims?

2. As far as micron size is concerned, do you realize that your paper filter can pass particles 50 microns or larger and be labeled "10 micron"? They use a Beta Ratio test & it only requires half of the trapped particulates to be 10 microns.

3. Define "devastating."
I am talking about filtration, a steel wool element will pass more than a paper element, it will also break down over time and provide less filtration. Wheres the documentation that a paper filter rated for 10 microns will pass 50 microns. Thats just plain false advertisement. But the only true to filter down that low is through a low pressure, cant do it under high pressure.

4-10 microns is the clearance between a piston ring and a cylinder wall, so a 50 micron filtration is useless. How do I know? I have spent thousands of hours and millions of miles testing fleet equipment and the results before and after, and one thing for sure no one I have ever heard of in the last 40 years runs a steel wool filtration system.
I guess its a religion not a science. Just my opinion but anyone can spend their money anyway they want.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:34 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
I am talking about filtration, a steel wool element Youth You'd more than a paper element, it will also break down over time and provide less filtration. Wheres the documentation that a paper filter rated for 10 microns will pass 50 microns. Thats just plain false advertisement. But the only true to filter down that low is through a low pressure, cant do it under high pressure.

4-10 microns is the clearance between a piston ring and a cylinder wall, so a 50 micron filtration is useless. How do I know? I have spent thousands of hours and millions of miles testing fleet equipment and the results before and after, and one thing for sure no one I have ever heard of in the last 40 years runs a steel wool filtration system.
I guess its a religion not a science. Just my opinion but anyone can spend their money anyway they want.
It is not steel wool.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Ray F.
Novice
Talking

Originally Posted by mtclassic
It is not steel wool.
Where is it written that it's not steel wool?

Old 01-13-2012, 10:38 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

On their website
"type 304 stainless steel micronic filter cloth"
http://www.kandpengineering.com/tech...ghlights.shtml

Old 01-13-2012, 11:36 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

55 degrees, 20/50 oil, start bike, bike goes to high idle. Know if you think your oil is not by-passing that paper filter at this point, well

Old 05-25-2013, 10:36 PM
e_minor_pentatonic
Cruiser

I recently put one of these (PC Racing Filter) on my Dyna and have noticed that the oil takes longer to turn dark. I would think that this shows a better filtering. I can't speak to the idea that it cools the bike down as I don't have a way to measure that.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Rockymtnglide
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how you quantify the claims or the filtering capability. You just do your research and take your best shot.
I've ran a K&P filter for the last 10,000 miles. I'm happy with it.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:21 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to make some funny rude comments about the "STEELWOOL"

But then I would just be MEAN and FAT ! ha ha