Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Own a Road King with a solo seat? Chime in here....

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 12:35 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Road King Solo Seat

Call Mustang. They used to have a program where you could buy a seat from them, try it out for a week or so and if you didn't like, it, ship it back on your dime and they'll refund your money. I did that with a Day Tripper on my RK, but found that it looked good, not so good for the butt. I have a Vintage solo with a backrest on now and it is a great short hop or long distance seat. A backrest was never a choice of mine, until I actually got one and used it, I wouldn't take it off now.

If you want to stay with HD, try a Sundowner Solo, I had one on my Superglide and it was very comfortable.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually like the look of the Mustang Solo. Buckinfitch, your seat bolster doesn't seem to be as far back as the one on Tucci's. In fact it doesn't seem to be any further back than the bolster on the stock seat. I'm sure it's just the angle of the pics.

What's the consensus? Mustang Solo puts you back about two inches and you stay about the same height as stock? But then Mustangs only come in vinyl.

There seem to be lots of choices to consider, yet finding the one or two that will work for you is another matter.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just noticed that Buckinfitch and Tucci have different Mustang solo seats. Looks like Tucci has the Vintage Super Solo while Buckinfitch has the Vintage Solo. Mustang says the Super Solo is 1.25" further back than stock. All they say about the regular solo is that it has a narrower nose.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:39 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

FWIW, the HD air-ride seats that come stock on FLHP/FLHTP bikes are really comfy. I have an 09 FLHP and this is the first seat that I have been comfortable on. My basis for comparison are the stock seats that come on the 08 RKC and 09 RK; both were rentals. I don't know how these seats compare fore/aft to the stock seat position but I know they are a bit higher. You can find the complete seat systems on Ebay all the time. If you can't stand the plastic seat pan, it can be covered:http://retiredpolicebikes.com/Forums...php?f=8&t=1591

Last edited by ReidRik_Von; 12-25-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: forgot stuff...
Old 12-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Big Jake
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the Corbin Hollywood Solo. It looks great, but I think I am trading looks for comfort on long rides. I did the memory foam which is nice, but I am looking at the C&C with a backrest. I do like being lower and back on the bike.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:13 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nirvana
Just noticed that Buckinfitch and Tucci have different Mustang solo seats. Looks like Tucci has the Vintage Super Solo while Buckinfitch has the Vintage Solo. Mustang says the Super Solo is 1.25" further back than stock. All they say about the regular solo is that it has a narrower nose.
Yep, you can tell by the arrangement of the studs on the side. I have the Vintage Super Solo on mine. The Super Solo moves you back a little.

I've had the following seats on my bike:

Stock 11 RKC seat
Police
Corbin Solo
Mustang Super Solo

The police seat moves you up and forward a substantial amount.

The Corbin seat is lower and slightly further back than stock.

The Mustang is on par, maybe even slightly higher than stock, and back a little from the stock position.

The Corbin was much, much stiffer than stock. Mustang is slightly stiffer than stock. Corbin looks nicest, would probably still be the best choice for longer trips (400+ mile days) if you have the seat custom made for you. I personally hated mine. The police seat is the comfiest with a backrest, but it's by far the ugliest. It also is not a good choice unless you're tall (6' or better).

Old 12-25-2011, 09:47 PM
deli
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the last year, I use a Corbin semi custom seat. They took the pan from the reach seat, which sits a full inch lower than standard, and laid on the foam from a tall boy seat, setting it back an inch and one half, then charged me the off the shelf price. 6'2", 33 inch inseam, 185#, and a bad hip, many days with 4-500 miles, near perfect riding position and won't trade it for anything. Took two extended rides before the seat settled in ( ignored the break in warnings) and wound up with some chafe, but it is all good now. Tried the sundowner solo, brawler, and a mustang, never got the butt burn but was never ever as comfortable as I am now.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Funnygirl
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2004 RKC with a Mustang solo.
I'm 6'2 with a 36" inseam.
This seat puts me back a bit & lower so I feel like I'm "in" the bike rather than "on" it.
I love it!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got an HD seat that puts me back and down. I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam too and I like how far away from the tank I am. I found the seat on ebay with about 500 miles on it for $100 with the matching pillion.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 624 Likes on 160 Posts

The "stock" non altered C&C drops you AND puts you back. I have tried everything out there and now C&C is my go to seat guy. Looks + comfort = 5 stars!

Quick Reply: Own a Road King with a solo seat? Chime in here....