Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ness AC dripping oil...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 07:27 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Nope, I had/have the same issue with my AN BS. You can see the oil trail from the so called raised ridges that are supposed to direct the blow-by oil into the mouth of the throttle body. The trail ended at the bottom of the backing plate, ready to drip into the filter. I'm running about 3 1/2 qts of oil, so I don't think it's overfilled. I guess it doesn't matter what make filter you run, if it's going to drip, it's going to drip.....
You are describing the issues correctly...the oil is dripping out of the breather ports, across the ridges, and down the back plate.

FWIW, I noticed the holes in the AN breather bolts seem somewhat smaller then the stock bolts (the ones that the rubber tubes attach).

Maybe the smaller AN bolts create a bit of a vacuum and actually suck some of the oil into the air intake instead of acting as an air pressure release???

Old 12-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
This is what I did to my SE back plate to solve the oil drip problem...
I did the same thing with my old TC96. While that will effectively stop the oil from collecting at the bottom of the a/c, it will begin to build up in the throttle body.

With the motor shut down, remove the air cleaner and then gently open the throttle place itself...you may notice the throats of the throttle body coated with oil...maybe even a small pool of oil.

I just as soon not be dumping the oil into the intake if I don't have to...but that's just me.

Thanks for the pic though!

Old 12-24-2011, 07:43 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,098 Likes on 22,580 Posts

Originally Posted by danny54
Oem filters provide the best filtration.

I got 2 new stock oem filters for sale. PM if interested.
I'll make you or anybody else a good deal.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
This is what I did to my SE back plate to solve the oil drip problem:

Jim I hope one of those tubes doesn't break off! Really bad for a engine if it does.
I have the SE Heavy breather and never had a drop.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:00 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's what cured my buddies and mine, beings this is a closed loop system and the only thing that we figured would leak air was either the intake gasket or the 4 o-rings, so we did the o-rings, replace them with some from the hardware store, which were more beefier then the ones that came in the kit, put a little grease on the new o-rings and around the intake gasket just to be sure, buttoned it back up and took it for a ride and no more leak!! might want to give it a try.