Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project write up with pics. Rear fender filler on my RoadGlide.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 12:27 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Project write up with pics. Rear fender filler on my RoadGlide.

I have always disliked the gaps between my hard bags and fender on my 08 RoadGlide. Reading this forum I've found a lot of guys have installed a StreetGlide Facia and tri light on their roadglides. I got the list of parts from one of the write ups and took it to the dealer to get the color matched facia and all the various parts I needed. Tonight I put it all together. Total elapsed time was about an hour, maybe 1.5hr tops. It's super easy. Here are my step by step pics.

This is the before shot, note the big gaps...

Next take off the seat and bags....

Even though there is no option for a RoadGlide fender tip light, they still have an electrical connection for it. Probably the same wiring harness as the streetglide. You can see the 3 conductor plug for the tri light in the center of this pic...

Dry fit the facia on the fender and mark the holes. You will have to remove the fender bracket underneath and at the bottom of the fender. Here I drilled the holes in the fender....

Put in the stud plate and loosely put on the bottom two nuts...

Next you have to put this plastic bracket on behind the fender, this holds the facia on the bottom. The facia will just snap in underneath it. This thing bolts in under the fender bracket seen on the floor in this photo...

Here it is installed under the fender...

Next you have to screw the tri light into the fender facia. I didn't buy the proper screws from HD, I just used used a couple #8 wood screws. They seemed to work fine. lol.

Install the facia on the studs, route the wire up along side it, zip tie the hell out of it. Install the antena again. This pic shows the facia bolted in place with the antena installed.

All buttoned up. Tail light on...

This project had a dual purpose. I didn't like the way the fender looked. But more importantly I wanted to put the extra brake light on for safety. Here it is with the brake light illuminated. If you do this mod, make sure you get the light with brake and running light, because there is a part with just the running light.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:24 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put the filler on mine too, a much better look. Now you can put some lights on those fillers. How about a couple of these: People might not see you coming but they will see you going.

AXIXTECH XLO9B 9 DIODE SURFACE MOUNT

Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I have some saddlebag spoiler lights coming from the stealer. Do you have a pic of those lights on your bike?

Old 12-23-2011, 02:02 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member

nice write-up and pics, thanks for sharing.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Johnny Wolf
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great!

Other than the wire connections (no biggie for me) will this work on an'03 E-Glide?

Old 12-23-2011, 02:44 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

That's a good question. I really don't know. But if not there are a lot of options out there. For example bagger nation..

http://www.baggernation.com/products...ateholders.htm

Old 12-23-2011, 04:03 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Johnny Wolf
Looks great!

Other than the wire connections (no biggie for me) will this work on an'03 E-Glide?
yes it will, wide is the same for '03 or '08 fenders. The "problem" you will have is bottom holes on yours.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Johnny Wolf
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pit1600
yes it will, wide is the same for '03 or '08 fenders. The "problem" you will have is bottom holes on yours.
I assume your talking about the holes in the fender left from the existing lights? If so, that is also no biggie. My good friend owns Spitfire Motorcycles (http://www.spitfiremotorcycles.com) I have access to mig/tig, and I plan on a complete bike repaint anyway.

Thanks, I'll start collecting parts, I have some things I need to sell first.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:41 PM
andyeippert
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much is the gap filler piece from Harley?

Old 12-23-2011, 06:16 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I didn't keep track too close on the price.
The painted piece is about 130, the light about 70, the rest of it about 20 to 30 or so.

Cheap though.

Quick Reply: Project write up with pics. Rear fender filler on my RoadGlide.