Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Dyno beads users?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Demolitionman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never used them pesonally, but i hear they work. The centramatics do work great, and as best I can figure work the same basic way just going about it a little differently. None of the tires on my tractor or trailer are balanced in any way. According to Michelin if you get the radial run out within spec after mounting the tire and then the tire/rim assembly, there is almost no need to balance a highway tire.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:18 AM
ranger351w
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I have been running dyna beads for several months now and believe in them. I put them in the stock rear tire 3oz and 2oz in the front. They work great for me and I do not see Harleys stick on wieghts laying on the garage floor when I wanted to ride.

As far as expense when I changed my worn out oe tire to a Hankook H426 I took the beads from my old rear and put them in the car tire. Looks like a one time buy to me . That makes them cheap and they work. I put the 2011 RK up on the stand and run it up to 75mph ,shut the engine off and pulled the clutch while touching the rear fender and crash bar with 0 vibration. Don't know about you but that sold me. But thats just me. Do what you want!

Old 12-25-2011, 08:55 AM
drive2live2ride
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ranger351w
Well I have been running dyna beads for several months now and believe in them. I put them in the stock rear tire 3oz and 2oz in the front. They work great for me and I do not see Harleys stick on wieghts laying on the garage floor when I wanted to ride.

As far as expense when I changed my worn out oe tire to a Hankook H426 I took the beads from my old rear and put them in the car tire. Looks like a one time buy to me . That makes them cheap and they work. I put the 2011 RK up on the stand and run it up to 75mph ,shut the engine off and pulled the clutch while touching the rear fender and crash bar with 0 vibration. Don't know about you but that sold me. But thats just me. Do what you want!
Being objective, if you have found weights on your garage floor, they were not properly applied. Slinging a weight while riding is one thing and usually won't happen anyway if applied correctly, but if you have found them on the floor in the garage the wheel was not properly cleaned before applying the weights or outdated weights with old adhesive backing were used.

I would be curious if you would have had 0 vibration on your stand without the beads installed. That would be the true test. Personally, I think the beads work to a point. A fella posted earlier who had a defective wheel and I can certainly see how the beads would be beneficial in his situation. A wheel in that condition would have been next to impossible to balance on a stand and considering the physics involved relating to how the beads work, would have been a superior method to use for that wheel. There is always more than one way to skin the same cat. Just some ways produce better results than others. From a performance standpoint a wheel with the beads installed can't perform as well as a wheel balanced conventionally with a balancing device. A wheel conventionally balanced is in balance all of the time. A wheel with the beads is not in balance all of the time.

I'm not sure how it could be done, but I would love it if someone would come up with a testing device that would actually show what the beads do during high speeds, rapid accelerations/decelerations while at the same time monitoring the balance of the wheel. If anyone knows of such a study please post! With so many of the members here who are obsessed (I'm holding my hand up) with the ultimate performing this, and the best that, and all the money that is spent to have the best of the best, I think there would be a bunch of people pouring their koolaid out on the ground. Sorry...I couldn't resist. Still the best line if heard in awhile .

At the end of the day, the main benefits I see in the beads are they keep a good looking wheel from being boogered up with weights, they give a home shop guy a way to semi-sorta get satisfactory results without owning a balancing device, and they give a wheel distributor a very quick and easy way to sell you a mounted and "balanced" tire/wheel combo without having to take the time and expense to mount the tire correctly in the first place.

I have PM Hooligans with Metzelers on my SG. There are no weights or beads installed. The bike rolls smooth all the way to 100+. The tire is mounted correctly though and I returned the first new front tire I purchased because even though mounted correctly, the first tire was too far out and would have taken 2 1/2 ounces to balance while taking into consideration that the wheel was only out 3/8 of an ounce by itself. When purchasing quality tires, that is unacceptable in my opinion. So make sure when purchasing these products that you are dealing with a reputable company (gratuitous plug for Coastal Moto) that won't give you static when something like that happens. But then again there are those that would have poured in 2 oz of beads and called it good. So I agree..."Do what you want!"

Old 12-25-2011, 04:50 PM
garyFLHPI
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drive2live2ride
I guess I'm in the minority here, but differing opinions are common here and I'll give mine on this topic for what it's worth.

I got on board with Dyna Beads after the company I drive for tested a similar product called "Equal" in the big trucks. After extensive testing the switch was made and conventional balancing methods went by the wayside. The stuff worked in big trucks.

I have a tire machine and change all my buds tires on their bikes. Most of them drive where I work and they wanted to use Dyna Beads in their bikes after the success of the "Equal" product at work.

I have balanced enough motorcycle wheels to know that the true test of whether or not these would work in a motorcycle would be to use a Harley brand wheel. The reason for this is that a Harley wheel put on a balancing device without the tire installed usually takes 2-3 ounces of weight to balance the wheel by itself. A quality made wheel usually takes about 1/2 to 3/4 ounces of weight to balance the wheel without the tire mounted.

So I used a friends EG that had Harley Agitator wheels for my test. As usual with a Harley wheel, it took 3.5 ounces of weight to balance the wheel alone. I then mounted the tire putting the heavy spot of the tire 180 degrees opposite the heavy spot of the wheel. It then took 2 7/8 ounces of weight to balance the wheel/tire combo. I did this on the front wheel only and left the rear wheel balanced in the conventional method.

The next step was to remove the weights and ride the bike with the front wheel out of balance. The results were predictable. The front wheel did reasonably well at low speeds, kinda pulsated some at mid-range speeds, and rode like crap at high speeds. Then it was back to the shop to install Dyna Beads. I installed the recommended 2 oz of beads for the tire size being used and rode it again. The beads helped. There was a noticeable improvement. I added another 1 oz of beads since I knew the wheel was out of balance by nearly 3 oz. and more improvement still to the point that I was impressed and was nearly sold on the product.

Then the bubble busted. I was merging onto the freeway and didn't like what was developing with the traffic I was merging into. So I decided to pour the coal to my buddies built 103. It came to life, put me back in the seat, and put me nicely out in front of the traffic cluster I wanted to avoid....and the front wheel was bouncing. I glanced at the speedo and was doing about 90. I backed out of it down to the speed limit and the front wheel leveled out and rode nicely again. I then began to experiment with rapid acceleration at different speed and the same result. The beads worked well at consistent speeds up to a point. They never did work well with rapid changes in wheel rpm or at speeds above 80 mph.

To further prove or disprove the effectiveness of the product I installed the beads in my 1125R. Now I could experiment with some true acceleration. Same results. They do not work in a performance environment with rapid acceleration/deceleration. It is my opinion from what I have learned that the beads can not maintain the proper positioning inside the wheel during rapid rpm changes. Think about that and it will make some sense.

So why the success of the product in other applications such as big trucks? In big trucks, wheel rpm changes occur much more gradually allowing the product to keep its positioning inside the tire much better. Also, in big trucks the wheel rpm is much slower at a given vehicle speed than in a vehicle with smaller diameter wheels.

Bear with me and I wll get to the final point of why so many people are sold on the product in motorcycles. The best way to install a tire on a wheel is to put the wheel on a balancing device without the tire mounted. Mark the heavy spot on the wheel (usually not at the valve stem like most people believe especially on a cheap wheel) and then balance the wheel without the tire. Then mount the tire and find the heavy spot on the tire. It will manifest itself since the wheel was in balance when the tire was mounted. Now rotate the heavy spot on the tire 180 degrees to the heavy spot on the wheel and remove the weights used to balance the wheel without the tire. Recheck the balance at this point and determine how much if any weight is required for balance. On a quality wheel/tire combo I can usually get balance with less than 1 ounce of weight and in many cases less than 1/2 ounce. In these cases the wheel is not far enough out of balance to require any weight at all and will perform very well WITH OR WITHOUT DYNA BEADS OR WEIGHTS.

So final point is this. Most of the Dyna Bead market is targeted towards people running aftermarket wheels. Most people running stock wheels don't care if there is a weight on the wheel and most dealerships don't want to use unconventional methods for liability reasons...if nothing else the mess that spilled beads make in the shop. It's almost impossible to remove a tire with beads in it without spilling the beads. The people that don't want weights on their wheels are people running "pretty" aftermarket wheels. They don't want ugly weights boogering up the wheel. Well guess what? Most aftermarket wheels are of very high quality and when a quality tire is installed CORRECTLY they are going to "ride like glass" with or without weights and with or without Dyna Beads.

Bottom line. If your running a cheaper wheel (stock for example) that is truly out of balance enough that it is noticeable, you will not get the performance benefit from Dyna Beads that you will get from a properly balanced wheel using the conventional method. If your running a quality wheel/tire combo that is properly installed, you probably don't need anything to balance them. But go ahead and use them especially if it's not your shop and you don't have to clean up the mess

Don't hate on me if your a believer (or drink the koolaid ) in the beads . It's just my own conclusion and we can politely agree to disagree. Peace.
I would like to thank you for your information. I fined it extremely valuable and I am absolutely agree with the facts you stated above. Thank you.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:02 PM
drive2live2ride
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garyFLHPI
I would like to thank you for your information. I fined it extremely valuable and I am absolutely agree with the facts you stated above. Thank you.
Hey, no problem. Glad if it helped you out.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:06 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Renold
Interested in trying these and would like some input. They sound like a good idea.
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php
Use the search function, enter dynabeads and hundreds of posts to read, and yes they work.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:20 PM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,688 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Arrow got em, like em, recommend em,

I put 2 ozs. in the front 18" Agitator on my bike. Smooth all the way to a little over 100 mph. No issues after 5K +. I'll be putting them in the rear tire when I change it.