Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need The Facts on Cats - '09 Headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 PM
TheDon81
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the 09 CVO's have CAT's?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

49 State bikes did not have cats in headers in 2009.
( everyone in other markets- maybe, so butt out)

Some Ca. bikes were sold ( or resold) in other markets- for example the dealer in Yuma, AZ sells Ca spec bikes rather than stock 2 versions.

The VIN will designate with market the bike was made for, and therefore which emissions controls were OEM

Cat in the 09 header are about 14" down in the front cylinder head pipe- you can hear it if you tap with a pen- it goes "claunk" instead of "tink"

---------------------

Regarding cop bikes and emission controls: many State and Municipality owned vehicles are exempt from controls required on private owned vehicles.
In California, that is correct, other territories may vary.
Because of that, many vehicles destined and originally sold to Gov't. may lack emission controls.

Cop bikes can be different depending on the purchasing agency, or if destined to be a lease vehicle- and it is difficult to generalize what may or may not be oem on a cop bike.

I've had 2 vehicles bought from CHP, the 88 FXRP with a cam and no evap canister- the VIN gets me through emission inspection in AZ as it shows it was OEM exempt.
and a 1990 Mustang 5.0. no cat, no EGR, no smog pump etc. etc. the only emissions controls on the car were a PCV. same again, the VIN gets the car through emissions.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-22-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:37 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
I hope you are right!! I have feeling if we go to this trouble and we are wrong, I am afraid where they might put that broomstick next!

As long as you have open/straight aftermarket mufflers it will go all the way up if there is no Cat.

Trust us, I did it to my 09 last week prior to changing head pipes.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:40 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,162 Likes on 1,355 Posts

The 09 CVO bike had a catalyst as well.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 12-22-2011, 03:18 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

According to my manual international & california '09 touring bikes had cats in the header. My dealer told me my '09 Canadian RG had a cat. There was no cat on my bike.... Only way to know for sure is pull off your right slip-on and shine a light up the header and poke a stick up there....

Old 12-22-2011, 03:28 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

The deal is - I believe ya'll - but I need proof - something substantial, I know we can shine lights and shove brooms - but is there ANYTHING written or pictured or whatever? Has anyone with their '09 non Cali or Int'l Touring bike done this themselves? Firsthand? That would help...

Old 12-22-2011, 03:29 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

I did it with my 09 SG. The stock head pipe is sitting right here in the garage.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't rub it in his face, no future in that since you have a good relationship already. Sounds like you are both right. Some specific 09 bikes do and some don't. Can't expect these guys to know everything...and of course they usually live up to that expectation!

Old 12-22-2011, 03:45 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Don't rub it in his face, no future in that since you have a good relationship already. Sounds like you are both right. Some specific 09 bikes do and some don't. Can't expect these guys to know everything...and of course they usually live up to that expectation!
LCJoe - oh I agree, this is not a "see told ya so" kinda thing - I get the feeling he likes to know, so I just want to "share" any solid stuff we have. I am not about making someone feel stupid at all.... if I was in his shoes and someone enlightened me, I am all about that, and I think he is to.

Yeah for everyone - this is not an ego thing for me, or a nah nah nah see you know nothing to him - not the situation at all, or my personality. If I am wrong, I am always the first to admit, especially when I am shown, so this is more about an education...

Its all good kids - I have NO intention of being disrespectful at all.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:46 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Talking

Originally Posted by shore
I did it with my 09 SG. The stock head pipe is sitting right here in the garage.
Got anyway to show its empty? Hollow? Catless? ;-)

Quick Reply: Need The Facts on Cats - '09 Headers