Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Tune is done

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:22 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyno Tune is done

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

ORIGINAL: geargrinder

He may be honest, but he is not representing the numbers correctly. One of many examples is, if the bike were dynoed one day, it was later modified and brought back another day and it showed five less HP, was it a bad mod? A dyno is like any precision measurement instrument, it has to be properly calibrated and operated for reliable, consistant, publically represented results by the real world of mostly knowledgable, professional dyno operators to the general public.
Well since you are such a dyno expert, you would know that everything you just posted is BS.

A dyno is a tuning tool.........plain and simple. Most people think of it as "my dick is bigger then yours" tool, but in reality it is used to properly tune in a motor to make sure it is running at maximum potential with the proper AFR to prevent damage.

There is no way to compare any dyno charts at any time...........just too many variables. Every component is different on every bike, every dyno is calibrated different, every weather condition is different, software differences, settings within the dyno software, different models of dynos, different deck heights, different CR's, different squish...............the list is endless.

The only way to get a good comparison of 2 bikes............is to both be at the same dyno at the sametime. Do a run with one, do a run with the other...........that will be the closest comparison of 2 bikes on a given dyno. But then you still have all the variances built into the bikes themselves to deal with...........even with identical builds you can never get them exactly identical.

So for anyone to say that I have to post corrected numbers in order to be legit..........is basically an idiot and needs to go back into the closet with the rest of the closet experts that pop out from time to time to spout their useless $hit.

Steve
Alright, I'm a bit confused here - Why jump all over geargrinder about inconsistancies in dyno to dyno runs, but yet:

PhilM was a great help in doing this build, he went from 37's to 26's. I really liked his 37 dyno chart, and his 26 dyno chart looks the same only 8-10 points lower.

With my current setup, I could put in a 37G and probably get good results...........about 8-10 points higher across the board.

Steve
Wouldn't this mean that comparing these two dyno charts there could be the same incosistancies? I'm not trying to bust ***** here, but I think geargrinder wasn't looking for a beating over his comment.

If you redynoed your bike in the Spring, your numbers are possibly going to change (the point you were making). So maybe chasing that few extra HP / TQ is just a smokescreen?!

Old 12-11-2006, 11:26 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Got to be careful around these parts. I know quite a bit about "stuff". But I never act like I do cause this kinda thing happens...

Basically I like to tell people: "I got a belly button"...

lp

Old 12-12-2006, 12:18 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: denispetit

Alright, I'm a bit confused here - Why jump all over geargrinder about inconsistancies in dyno to dyno runs, but yet:

PhilM was a great help in doing this build, he went from 37's to 26's. I really liked his 37 dyno chart, and his 26 dyno chart looks the same only 8-10 points lower.

With my current setup, I could put in a 37G and probably get good results...........about 8-10 points higher across the board.

Steve
Wouldn't this mean that comparing these two dyno charts there could be the same incosistancies? I'm not trying to bust ***** here, but I think geargrinder wasn't looking for a beating over his comment.

If you redynoed your bike in the Spring, your numbers are possibly going to change (the point you were making). So maybe chasing that few extra HP / TQ is just a smokescreen?!
Yes, PhilM could have the same inconsistancies, but the big thing is that PhilM brought his bike back to the same exact dyno both times. There will still be differences, but a lot less they 2 different dynos in 2 different states.

For sure my numbers could change, and I would expect them to.

At this point I feel the dyno tune did great for the AFR and ridability............but I feel the exhaust can use some tuning now. 10 discs seems like it's not enough, 12-14 sounds like a better setting. I wanted to do 12 and 14 on the dyno, but the guy didn't think it would make a difference........and I feel he was wrong.

Steve

Old 12-12-2006, 11:57 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

He may be honest, but he is not representing the numbers correctly. One of many examples is, if the bike were dynoed one day, it was later modified and brought back another day and it showed five less HP, was it a bad mod? A dyno is like any precision measurement instrument, it has to be properly calibrated and operated for reliable, consistant, publically represented results by the real world of mostly knowledgable, professional dyno operators to the general public.
Well since you are such a dyno expert, you would know that everything you just posted is BS.

A dyno is a tuning tool.........plain and simple. Most people think of it as "my dick is bigger then yours" tool, but in reality it is used to properly tune in a motor to make sure it is running at maximum potential with the proper AFR to prevent damage.

There is no way to compare any dyno charts at any time...........just too many variables. Every component is different on every bike, every dyno is calibrated different, every weather condition is different, software differences, settings within the dyno software, different models of dynos, different deck heights, different CR's, different squish...............the list is endless.

The only way to get a good comparison of 2 bikes............is to both be at the same dyno at the sametime. Do a run with one, do a run with the other...........that will be the closest comparison of 2 bikes on a given dyno. But then you still have all the variances built into the bikes themselves to deal with...........even with identical builds you can never get them exactly identical.

So for anyone to say that I have to post corrected numbers in order to be legit..........is basically an idiot and needs to go back into the closet with the rest of the closet experts that pop out from time to time to spout their useless $hit.

Steve
Wow, I'm sorry I offended you. As you can see I'm new to this forum and am quickly finding out that my few decades as a full time dyno tuner is not welcome here, unless you represent the minority. For now, I will continue to add my input if it can help someone or when I see somthing mistated or something like dynos misoperated, which I feel qualified to comment on, I will point that out too.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

youre fine....just gittin initiated welcome and where you at, what do you tune(PC or SERT), and are you any good

Old 12-12-2006, 04:00 PM
cwilks
Banned

ORIGINAL: PhilM

Steve, I think the Woods 6HG is "the loud one", not the the 6G. THe HG is a high lift cam, so that's outside the boundries of your stated objective.... THe 6G might be an option.

I've got the Woods 6G in my 95" build right now and its pretty loud but it DOES pull like a freight train

Old 12-12-2006, 04:02 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I'm sorry I offended you. As you can see I'm new to this forum and am quickly finding out that my few decades as a full time dyno tuner is not welcome here, unless you represent the minority. For now, I will continue to add my input if it can help someone or when I see somthing mistated or something like dynos misoperated, which I feel qualified to comment on, I will point that out too.
Welcome Grinder!

We need all the help we can get around here....

Old 12-12-2006, 05:54 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

youre fine....just gittin initiated welcome and where you at, what do you tune(PC or SERT), and are you any good

Thanks, I'm in Nebraska, have our (wife and I) own business and have been doing automotive custom dyno tuning now for a little over 20 yrs, getting ready to retire and will due part-time consulting/training for dyno tuning shops, including some bike shops. Am now riding an 01 107 CI turbocharged UltraGlide, with an S&S ProTune programmable EMS system. Am I any good? We've had a constant 2-3 week backlog every year for our custom fuel injection car/truck tuning, if that counts, been thru a few dynos. I've been tuning my bikes on our vehicle chassis dyno. I'll be on this forum with questions and hopefully I can contribute back with a few answers myself, especially if it pertains to dynos, fuel injection or custom tuning.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:57 PM
kdietz
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

Thanks, I'm in Nebraska, have our (wife and I) own business and have been doing automotive custom dyno tuning now for a little over 20 yrs, getting ready to retire and will due part-time consulting/training for dyno tuning shops, including some bike shops. Am now riding an 01 107 CI turbocharged UltraGlide, with an S&S ProTune programmable EMS system. Am I any good? We've had a constant 2-3 week backlog every year for our custom fuel injection car/truck tuning, if that counts, been thru a few dynos. I've been tuning my bikes on our vehicle chassis dyno. I'll be on this forum with questions and hopefully I can contribute back with a few answers myself, especially if it pertains to dynos, fuel injection or custom tuning.
I'll be listening Welcome!

Karl

Old 12-12-2006, 06:27 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A bike could make great #s on a dyno and turn out to be a poor performer on the street or at the track.Its a tool but not the only one.

Quick Reply: Dyno Tune is done