Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Tune is done

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 10:38 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Dyno Tune is done

ORIGINAL: harris48cars
Did you notice an increase in your MPG or are you still "busting" in to it?
I'm still busting it in............but the last few tanks of gas I checked were right around 37 mpg. But when I went Thursday for the dyno tune, the map I was running was so rich the plugs were fouled out. So with that all corrected, I would bet I'm around 42-45 mpg...........but time will tell, snow and salt and sand on the roads now killed my riding season.

Bean had talked to "quikbike" about my build and his, and he predicted high 80's for HP and high 90's for torque..........and don't you know it, he was right on.

Steve

Old 12-09-2006, 10:42 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

I'm thinkin' this would be a sweet chart...IF I had a 95"!

The thing with the TC-2 cam is that the power peaks too late in the powerband for a bagger's normal riding. Quikbike (Jeff) had that cam in his first build, and hated it. His power wouldn't hit until 4000 rpm..............way too high for normal riding.

Steve

Old 12-10-2006, 01:29 AM
SeaHag
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

Now let's say I had a week of vacation time to burn.....................LOL, and I was bored and decided to do a little engine work............LOL.

What cam in my current build would be much better then the 26's?

Without changing anything about my build but the cam.................what is the best cam for it?

I would want a broad torque band from 2500-5000.........right in my normal riding range. I have that now, but I would like to get over 100/100 to make it worth it.

Now keep in mind that this is purely hypothetical...............LOL

Steve

Like I said earlier in this thread....Andrews TW-37....see example here: http://www.deweyspegs.com/dyno_pages/dyno14.html

Another good cam that produces torque yet better high end is the Woods Tw-6...: http://www.woodcarbs.com/images/tc95tw6-5.jpg

Old 12-10-2006, 11:51 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

The 37's just come on too late for me, I debated heavily between the 26's and the 37's..........and after a ton of research I went with the 26's.

Woods cams have always been known for being loud, but they do have good looking power numbers and dyno charts.

Steve

Old 12-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Harleypaw
Tourer

I run the 400G woods cams and love them, you've seen my dyno, it pulls hard from 2500 up. I'm not sure the 400G is the right cam for your bike but go to Woods site and check out the dyno close to your combo's

Old 12-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the 615/585 makes 90ftlbs @ 2k...my chart and Phil's could just about be layed on top of each other and match....even with gear drive its quieter than stock chains, it does need springs tho....it is a fun ride

Old 12-10-2006, 12:22 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, I think the Woods 6HG is "the loud one", not the the 6G. THe HG is a high lift cam, so that's outside the boundries of your stated objective.... THe 6G might be an option.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:22 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

Here is a list of cams that would fit my criteria -

Andrews 26G
Woods TW-6G
Head Quarters HQ-0034G

If going to high lift springs, that would open up a whole lot of options.............but I don't want to tear into the top end again.

I think with my current setup, I should be happy. 90+ torque from 2750 - 5000 is what I wanted to achieve. But, there is always more to be had...........at a cost $$$.

It's winter and I'm bored all ready........can't wait for the snow to melt this week so I can get back out riding next weekend.

Steve

Old 12-10-2006, 01:55 PM
SeaHag
Road Master

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

The 37's just come on too late for me, I debated heavily between the 26's and the 37's..........and after a ton of research I went with the 26's.

Woods cams have always been known for being loud, but they do have good looking power numbers and dyno charts.

Steve
Excuse me if I think your comment about the 37's coming on too late is stupid. This is the quote from your first post in this thread about your current TW26 setup: "From 2750 - 5000 the torque is above 90 ft.lbs........and it feels real strong."

Now if you actually looked at the chart posted you'd have seen that with a combination similar to yours, the TW37 produces over 90 ft pounds by 2750, just like your current build, but continues higher up and farther out, carrying the 90+ tq all the way to 5850 rpm.....and the horsepower potential is over 100. At 3000 rpm, you are still at 91 and the 37's are up to 96. At 3500 rpm, you are finally up to 95 and the 37's are up to 102. Your 26 reaches its peak at 4000 rpm, while the 37 chart shows its peaked at 3700.

If you don't want to use the cam, thats fine, but use a better excuse than the one you did; when you admit to being happy with what you have now and the 37 is clearly superior. There are many, many bagger riders that absolutely love the 37 cam.

I know of several guys running the Woods Tw-6 cam; and none have mentioned anything about that cam being noisy....but Woods gets almost twice the price as Andrews cams....which is why I have steered clear of his stuff. I'm always working with a tight budget.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:49 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SeaHag

Excuse me if I think your comment about the 37's coming on too late is stupid.
Then how do you explain all the people all over the internet forums getting rid of the 37's and going to the 26's?

They all say that the 37's come on too late for a normal bagger rider, and all like how the 26's come on 500 rpm sooner.

I'm not saying the 37 is a bad cam at all, I've debated my decision over and over again...........it was tough to call between the 26's and the 37's. Most people you come across will tell you that the 26 is made for a bagger, and the 37 is made for a lighter bike. But many people have used the 37 with great success, and many people use the 26 with great success.

PhilM was a great help in doing this build, he went from 37's to 26's. I really liked his 37 dyno chart, and his 26 dyno chart looks the same only 8-10 points lower.

With my current setup, I could put in a 37G and probably get good results...........about 8-10 points higher across the board.

Steve

Quick Reply: Dyno Tune is done