Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011 | 08:17 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior

Crazy is as crazy does. Every bike I bought in the past, before I got my 1st HD last year that is, I would just have them shipped. When I bought my '09 HD last year, wife and I flew to KC, MO to pick it up and ride it 770 miles back home through some nasty heat, terrible thunder storms, and into the wee hours of the morning. This was the first time I had ridden an HD greater than 5 mins test ride, I had no idea on how to work any of the electronics, 1st stop to get gas I had the "jiffy stand experience", had to change my shorts, but the entire way home - ear to ear grin. Love this bike. And now I am adding a 2010 FLHP to the stall.

I am glad to know there are others like me that give several periods of dedicated time to appreciating their bikes, which includes garage, forum, and shopping!

Old 12-19-2011 | 10:07 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

It's like trying to describe the Grand Canyon to someone. You just can't, they have to experience it for themselves. I have no idea why I've always wanted a Harley and I don't really care. What I do care about is that my 3rd one is sitting in a nice weather tight garage, on a rubber backed mat, covered with a little cotton blanket, waiting for me to saddle up again. My wife's new car sits in the driveway. LOL She just shook her head when I told her that I was building a garage to put MY car and Harley in.

Yes, I have been known to repeatedly stop and stare at it when I'm outside.

Old 12-19-2011 | 10:53 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Default Yup

If crazy means my first "new" bike ('67 BSA) lived in our 'living room' when we were traveling or in our spare bedroom for the 1st winter -- crazy is as crazy does.... but what do I know?!?

Old 12-19-2011 | 11:31 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master

Got an '08 Chrysler 300 outside, never seen inside of garage. Two older bikes reside inside all the time. There's room for a third bike, Saving cash for another, not sure if I can pull it off, but trying my best.

Last edited by Harleyboyddk; 12-19-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2011 | 11:43 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member

a buddy of mine, the other tech at a bike shop i wrenched at, bought his first harley.he was having mental problems around the same time after the loss of his grandfather that raised him anyway.. he would spend the nite in the driveway sleeping across the bike sometimes, spent hours in the garage cleaning and loving on the bike.he told his wife that he loved the bike more then her during an argument, she warned him that if she ever comes out to the garage and he has his d**k out around the motorcycle, she was going to call and have him committed..

Old 12-20-2011 | 07:21 AM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

my wife and her side of the familey thinks I maybe
a little bit touched in the head. Right after I got close
enough to death to touch it, when I lost my first
harley and before I was healed up, "my arm was still in
a cast" I bought my 07 Road King Classic. Because I
can't explain it they will never understand it, but they
except it

Old 12-20-2011 | 02:02 PM
Kidharley
|
Cruiser

I guess that answers my question. Glad to hear I'm not the only "crazy" one out there. That said you should have seen her face when I took the bike out today. It's 29 today in MN. No snow though. All I needed to do was turn the bike around in the garage, not my fault it took 10 miles to turn it around. What was I supposed to do. She's to the point now where she just shakes her head. December 20th!!!!! Man I wish I still lived in Texas.

A note to all you other "crazies" Have a safe holiday season and for those of you that will be riding through the winter;

Old 12-20-2011 | 06:08 PM
Roger Paul
6th Gear

"i'd try to explain but you wouldn't understand"
My biggest problem is trying to get that silly grin off my face

Old 12-21-2011 | 07:11 PM
SGSpirit
Intermediate

I rode other's dirt bikes very little as a kid and I do remember loving it when I did. My dad had a few bikes, a Honda Dream, Kawasaki 175 and a Honda 350 back in the early 70's, and I was too young to ride any of them. He would take me for rides at times, but I really didn't enjoy riding as a passenger, especially with the seats they had back then! When he got rid of his last bike I was like 10 years old.

Fast forward 15 years and I'm married, have a child on the way and very little money. I wasn't really interested in bikes at this point, to focused on purchasing stuff like food...lol. My wife and I had 3 wonderful children.

This past April at the age of 46 something happened. Saw some Honda motorcycle commercials and I was like "hey" if I ever want to ride I had best make a move as I sure am not getting any younger.... Can you say mid-life crisis? So my wife isn't crazy about it whatsoever, when I casually mention it to her! She looks at me as if I'm completely nuts. One day this past April I tell her that I am going to the Honda Dealer to look at some bikes....and she thought that was all I was going to do...look at bikes. Long story short, I didn't have my endorsement so I had them deliver a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 to my garage. My wife was just a little upset....okay...maybe alot. I get my endorsement about 3 weeks later.

So I ride this bike all summer, put 7,000 miles on her. In August I realize what I really want is a touring bike and was eyeballing the ST 1300. I'm looking at them as well as the HD Touring models online quite a bit...wife doesn't know it of course. A buddy of mine gets me pumped up about the HD Street Glides. I do quite a bit of research and decide the Street Glide is for me.

So I just bought my used 2010 HD Street Glide a couple of weeks ago and it's sitting in the garage. Wife was mad but we worked a deal, darn it I'm broke again Think I've almost convinced her to ride with me in the spring. I love my wife and I love my new to me Street Glide in the garage. I've only put on about a hundred miles on this fantastic bike due to the cold weather and cannot wait until spring! It's supposed to be 49 degrees tomorrow, think I'm riding it into work! I know I'm really going to enjoy this motorcycle! I hope to get a picture of it on here this weekend, as I really enjoy this website so far.

Old 12-21-2011 | 07:20 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

I'll tell you what crazy is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbRucchf1Ak