Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Exhaust and Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:21 AM
StreetGlider11
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Exhaust and Tuning

Hey guys, I just got my first touring bike and looking to put some pipes and a tuner on it. My question is, when adding a PC or TTS, do the standard maps usually work well or does it require some tweaking to get the bike to perform right? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
Old 12-19-2011, 04:49 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends a lot on your setup. Some will tell you they have a map for you or will make one and they might, but don't count on it. You can use the auto tune features and do fairly well, or get a dyno.

If all you are going to do are slipons and an air cleaner save yourself a lot of hassle and a lot of money and check out the Xied's from Nightrider. Give Steve a call.
http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

A lot of people will say you need a tuner or this or that. There is no truth in that... the Xieds work great for around $125. Give Steve a call.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:47 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlider11
Hey guys, I just got my first touring bike and looking to put some pipes and a tuner on it. My question is, when adding a PC or TTS, do the standard maps usually work well or does it require some tweaking to get the bike to perform right? Thanks in advance.
If you get a PC through FuelMoto, the base map should be fine. A TTS map generally takes a little tweaking, but it's nothing too bad.

Since the XIED zombies have already started to appear, I'll jump in and say that you'd be wasting your money on them, as they do nothing to address the VE or timing tables, which is what's affected when intake and exhaust are changed.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Since the XIED zombies have already started to appear, I'll jump in and say that you'd be wasting your money on them, as they do nothing to address the VE or timing tables, which is what's affected when intake and exhaust are changed.
See, I told you so.

You don't need to worry about all that crap. The Xied's will make your bike run great. For the needs you described above and If you are not **** retentive, then the Xied's are all you need.

05Train obviously needs a tuner, he is into tweaking all that stuff, but that does not mean you do. If you want to keep it simple the Xied's are all you need. If you want to be able to change everything that is controlled by the ECM then you need a tuner. So the choices are, do you want to dig into and have control over everything or do you want plug and play.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just call Jamie at Fuel Moto. Good peope that will. Not lead you wrong.
I went with the PC-5 and the map Jamie supplied. It ran fine.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:51 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
See, I told you so.

You don't need to worry about all that crap. The Xied's will make your bike run great. For the needs you described above and If you are not **** retentive, then the Xied's are all you need.

05Train obviously needs a tuner, he is into tweaking all that stuff, but that does not mean you do. If you want to keep it simple the Xied's are all you need. If you want to be able to change everything that is controlled by the ECM then you need a tuner. So the choices are, do you want to dig into and have control over everything or do you want plug and play.
Not so much. You can **** your money away on something that might make you feel better but does nothing for your bike, or you can do it right.

The choice is yours.

The second that Steve from Nightrider or any of his zombies can explain how his overpriced resistors compensate for the additional airflow of a Stage One, will be the day that unicorns dance in fields of money trees.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The second that Steve from Nightrider or any of his zombies can explain how his overpriced resistors compensate for the additional airflow of a Stage One, will be the day that unicorns dance in fields of money trees.

OP either get a dynojet product from someone like Fuel Moto with your setup, or if you have any plans of going further than a stage 1 at any point later on get the TTS.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Not so much. You can **** your money away on something that might make you feel better but does nothing for your bike, or you can do it right.

The choice is yours.

+ 1 , true advice.

Call Jamie at Fuel Moto or at least go to his site and read the info on tuners etc. Then call him tell him your goals and he will recommend a solution, probably a PC V or PV depending on a few things like cost, piggy back unit , ability to monitor etc.

Ive used SERT, Fuel pak, PCIII, PCV and now the PV unit and for me the PV is the easiest to use . Jamies MAP was super close and the bike runs great. Im bored and want to play with it so Im starting some data logging to see if I can self tune for a little more now. Plus any additional changes I do in the future the PV will be able to handle.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:17 AM
hopperop
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlider11
Difficult question to answer. Sometimes the standard maps work fine and sometimes they run like crap. Do not get fooled into believing a vender will send you the correct map. There is no guarantee a standard map will work and there is no guarantee the vender will send a custom map that will work. No doubt the will try, but many people have given up on trying to get a map that works and have either gotten a dyno or an auto tuner. Some tuners come standard with an auto tuner feature. If they do not come standard with an auto tuner then it will cost at least a couple hundred more dollars to get one and even more if you get a dyno. Getting a tuner that is properly tuned can cost several hundred dollars and be an ongoing pain in the a$$. Even with a dyno or an auto tuner you will not know for sure what will happen in your case until you try. With a tuner, once you do get a good base map you can easily change the setting for fuel savings or performance or anything in between. And tuners can do a lot more than that.

How much money do you have to spend?
How much effort are you willing to put into making your bike run properly?
How much control do you want to have over the ECM?

Regardless of what the experts say, the Xieds mentioned above are a good viable option. In no way can they do what a tuner can do, but they will make your bike run much better, they are much cheaper than a tuner and much easier to use. Do not disregard them just because they do not give you complete control over the universe.

Quick Reply: Performance Exhaust and Tuning