Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blocking crossover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 05:48 PM
usecotton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: blocking crossover?

I did not use this kit but I made my own for a 2000 RK Classic. Could not keep pipe on right side from bronzing. All you hear is about too lean a condition so added a Fuel Pak and a set of Vance and Hines slip ons. Had the fuel Pak tuned at dealer and guess what? Right side bronzed again. Probably shoulda bought a powercommander but i decided to block rear cyl. from exhausting any on right side. Cut pipe at Y and plugged it then reinstalled. The bike still performs fine but am sure that losing the scavenging effect has cost at least some power. No increase in performance or throttle response. Just more even heating of pipes. Would not recommend this method as a good choice. IMHO

Old 12-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spider MHO would be.
1 no
2 no
3 probably not too hard.
If you look closely at the design of the stock exhaust , HD tried to give us the benefits of a 2 into 1 system and the look of a 2 into 2 system.
If one was to block the crossover pipe , the exhaust flow would have to come to an abrupt stop , go backwards , and try to flow out the left side after this cluster f**k.
Might sound neat ,but should kill performance , or at the least , give a tuner a real time to get running properly.
If you went with a true dual setup , at least the fullsac version (neat idea), you will notice they at least try to give the rear pipe a nice straight shot out of the head before turning it towards the muffler.
The problem as I see it from a tuning standpoint would be , the pipes really shoud be at least the exact same length in order to get the most from a 2 into 2 system.
The Bassani power loop would be the slickest thing I've seen so far , from a "flow and length" perspective.
The look of the Bassani is a little funky , but the theory is very sound indeed.
Looks like a bad idea from a tuning standpoint anyway.
Mick

Old 12-07-2006, 11:23 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you spend 15k to 20k on a bike, don't spare $200 and cheap something out that may cause problems such as restricted flow and heat issues. Just a thought!

Old 12-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Tech2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see a lot of negative comments about this contraption, but nobody has even attempted to explain exactly why this is any different, better or worse, than the Fullsac mod. To me, it appears to be a cheap method of converting your stock pipes to duals, just like the Fullsac system. So what's the big deal?

Personally, I wouldn't use it, since I would rather have a true dual set-up which eliminated the cross-over pipe completely. But there was a guy here that wanted to keep the stock look while running duals. This would seem perfect for that application.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:55 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Geez, guys! This has been done for a coupla hunnert years with the freeze plugs. Doesn't hurt anything, and really doesn't perform any worse than the typical True Duals, seat-of-the-pants. After all, if you're going for street performance, you're not gonna use any true duals, 'cause they ain't nothing but dressed-up drag pipes.

The Shovel era bikes had the crossover in the pipe coming from the rear cylinder to the front pipe. We'd cut the pipe, grind out the restrictor, then put a freeze plug in where the pipe teed to the left side, remove the left side, and have an old style 2-into-1. Usually put a fishtail muffler or extension on it.

The following users liked this post:
bumper 6969 (03-16-2022)
Old 12-08-2006, 10:45 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

Geez, guys! This has been done for a coupla hunnert years with the freeze plugs. Doesn't hurt anything, and really doesn't perform any worse than the typical True Duals, seat-of-the-pants. After all, if you're going for street performance, you're not gonna use any true duals, 'cause they ain't nothing but dressed-up drag pipes.

The Shovel era bikes had the crossover in the pipe coming from the rear cylinder to the front pipe. We'd cut the pipe, grind out the restrictor, then put a freeze plug in where the pipe teed to the left side, remove the left side, and have an old style 2-into-1. Usually put a fishtail muffler or extension on it.
exactly right. i'm wondering when these HD motorcycles turned into rocket science. really guys, it's not that complicated.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:18 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like someone else said it wont flow as well. The Fullsac conversion is a cheap enough option that if you want the true dual, thats the way to go. It will flow better than the freeze plug option and then you can get rid of that down tube off the rear jug.