Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I detach?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:04 PM
racngrn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I detach?

Looking for some advice on how to best spend hard earned dollars. I bought 2012 UC Limited in Big Blue Pearl/Black. Awesome. Worked a deal to have the tour pak made detachable when I was negotiating price. I'm beginning to wonder how often I might really pull the pak and wonder if guys out there that did this find it was worth it? I really want to upgrade the rear shocks to the HD premium clickers and might be able to work a deal to use those dollars for that purpose ( some or all). Thoughts from those who have the detachable kit? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:11 PM
amabeetle
Cruiser

I have detachable on an older bike: 07, I have had the tour pak off the bike twice since I put it on in 2008. I love the tour pak for convenience. I use it nearly every time I ride. You also need to put the lock on the detachable hardware so it won't be detached for you in a theft.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:11 PM
990rtracer
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Thought I would do it for sure when I bought our '08 but just too use to having all that storage room so never will and spent the money on other stuff. Plus I think you need to invest in a second seat to have around as well and to me not worth it for the time it would actually be off.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 PM
flattracker60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only rode my Ultra without the tour pac a few times before putting the bike away for the winter. The times I did ride it, I LOVED it without the TP. I weighed it, was 50lbs EMPTY!! I did get another seat (see pic below). Like having two bikes in one.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I take mine off all the time. I just like the way the bike looks and feels without it.
I put it on when I need it so I'd say its 50/50........My advice is do it now while you can its way easier then latter........
As for the shocks. Belive it or not its easier to change those then set up the tour pack and you can get way way better shocks after market then Harley's...I have Progressive 440's (my last two bikes).

Old 12-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 222 Posts

If you ride solo very often you may enjoy being able to have it off. My friend (riding a Limited) and I swapped bikes on a ride. He commented that mine felt noticeably lighter w/o the trunk and its weight up high and so far rearward. (That weight was the first thing I noticed on his) And for most solo riding the saddle bags should be adequate.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:47 PM
tonsa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 ultra bikes. One bike is the 2007 and the other bike is FHLTK 2011. Both have the quick detach. I like riding without the sofa chair (Tour PAK). I only use it when my wife wants to ride with me. Without the sofa chair or the tourpak, it looks like a street glide. I changed the rear tail light to a street glide bullet turn signal and put a Rear Fender Fascia skirt filler panel 59739-09. If you want a pic of the rear, I can post it. Let me know what you think? Look at my Avatar. Thats my other Ultra Classic 2007. The bottom one is the ultra classic limited 2011.

Attached Thumbnails Should I detach?-100_2991.jpg  

Last edited by tonsa; 12-18-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:17 PM
torinoman
Cruiser

I remove my tour pack when I'm cleaning or need access under the seat but it's allways on when I'm riding because having the 2 extra tail/brake lights hopefully makes me a bit more noticeable.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:24 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Get rid of it. If you can't fit everything in all your bags, you don't need it!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:57 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the detachable kit is cool and best if you think you will be taking it on/off alot.

if you think you will have it off much of the year, then put it on for a long trip.

it does not take more than 30 minutes to loosen the bolts and unplug wires to disconnect it.

however if you are shy about wiring, let the dealer do all the hard work.

if you are talking about the -1" street glide rear shocks, they are worth about $230 from an online disc. dealer.

so get your best bang for their buck

mike

Quick Reply: Should I detach?