Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forward controls

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011 | 02:34 PM
jrike
|
Tourer
Default forward controls

thinking of removing floorboards for forward controls.pros cons anyone do this?i like the looks of forward controls and it falls in to the future mods plan.if u have which one did u go with?

Old 12-18-2011 | 02:51 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Forward controls do look good, & might be an OK idea on a touring bike if you kept the floor boards. I looked into them & knew several people that had them back in the cruiser days. They looked good, but limited the number of foot positions available. Not a problem if you don't ride more than a couple of hundred miles, but on an 8/10/12 hour day your legs will hate you.

Old 12-18-2011 | 04:09 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

I never understood why people go with forward controls, yea they look good on choppers, but on a touring bike, not so much.
I wouldn't want to be stuck with one riding position all the time. With the floorboards and highway pegs, you have lots of room to move your feet around, even stand up to adjust "things" LOL. The biggest factor for me is that, I have a terrible bad back, and I need to be able to take bumps with my legs, instead of my back slamming down on the seat. I just use my legs for shocks when I see a big bump coming up that can't be avoided. How do people with forwards take big bumps anyway?
I know it's nice to have your bike look cool, but to take away function just for looks
doesn't make sense to me.
I'm thinking about adding extended bannana boards, just to have more room to move my feet around.
I'm sure people with forwards will chime in, and tell me how wrong I am...LOL j/k

Old 12-20-2011 | 02:28 AM
Devo6684
Road Captain

I was contemplating adding forward controls on the King. When I was Harley shopping I test rode a Screamin Eagle wide glide and I really liked the forward controls. It is ultimately up to you. For me 'tasteful' function trumps fashion.
If I were to do it I would try and keep the floorboards.

Old 12-20-2011 | 04:36 AM
Havoc88
Cruiser

I have the Accutronix extended forward controls on my '07 RG, glad I found this thread so I could learn how uncomfortable my ride is, wow, I just never knew... Didn't notice it on the ride to Sturgis this year or down hwy 101, I guess I'm just dense that way. LOL
Anyway I find them more than comfortable, I move from instep, to heal, and to toes just stretching the calves but I do have to admit I'm a skosh used to forwards, had them on the '88 softail I put 160k miles on, as well as the '96 Springer I put 54k on and now the Road Glide that I put 16k on last year...
You will either love 'em or hate 'em, but one thing is for sure, unless you try it you'll never KNOW what its like to ride with them if you want pics of them they are in my garage. Good luck on the decision, I have a friend that always ran boards and he tried a set of forwards and took them off after a week so it is really all in what you feel right with!

Old 12-20-2011 | 07:01 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

I put the J-brake forward controls on my RG. I had the same thoughts about how they might look or foot position but I got over it. I did an iron butt ride with them on there last summer.

Last edited by EasternSP; 12-20-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-20-2011 | 08:39 AM
bagdaddy09
Cruiser

I've got the Jay Brake forward controls on mine. I've done 9000 since last summer, and love them. They don't give you as many positions, but It hasn't really bothered me.

Old 12-20-2011 | 08:49 AM
txrarebear
Road Captain

Don't really plan on any Ironbutt rides with this machine anyway, but I installed the Jay Brake kit and can easily handle 5-8 hour rides.
You can still fold down the highway pegs and use them for additional foot positioning just like using the boards.....heels on the footpegs and ball of foot or toes on the highway peg or stretch out as normal.
I am thinking of trying the short angled black powdercoated ones on there to compare with the ones shown.
The footrests that are supplied with the kit are pretty good sized and this kit is very well made and easy to install.
Installation only took about 45 minutes, and would be very easy to swap back to your board setup if you ever felt the need.

Attached Thumbnails forward controls-dsci0819.jpg   forward controls-dsci0820.jpg   forward controls-dsci0821.jpg  

Last edited by txrarebear; 12-20-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2011 | 11:17 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

I had a '78 FXS with center pegs/controls and forward, frame-mounted, highway pegs. I always rode with my feet on the forward pegs.

I bought an '80 FXS and within a year, converted it to forward controls. Had that bike 9 years and a lot of miles. Several long runs and never had a problem with the comfort of the forward controls.

I've been riding FL bikes, with floorboards, since 1989. I actually prefer the floorboards, but wouldn't hesitate to take a long ride on a bike with forward controls.

If you like the look, I'd say go for it.......

Old 12-20-2011 | 12:28 PM
modes
Road Master

I put forward controls on my ride to increase function....not even a thought on how they would look. I have Accutronix and couldn't be more happy. I am 6'-9" and let me tell you riding with your knees way over your hips is far from comfortable and certainly looks strange. My feet gladly welcomed the forgotten blood flow. 20.5 hour day is the longest yet. Could have kept going, but the destination was reached. 2 Saddlesore 1000s done with them, and a Bunburner 1500 planned for 2012.

Adam

Last edited by modes; 12-20-2011 at 12:30 PM.