Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockford Fosgate 300X4 Did it BLOW today! Need Advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:04 PM
DRM510
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

both amps fried.. i must say i am quite impressed with the amp in high level setting! i jumped to conclusion about the amp sucking.i should have been more educated on the pass setting on an amp. thats my fault.. none the less im back rockin. hopefully it stays that way!! amp has to be on high level setting if youre running more than 2 speakers! the little white brp light barely comes on now too. it just pulses slightly..on all pass it was light bright all the time..

Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are only running two speakers throught the amp that may be a problem. I read that will cause over heating. Either run all four speakers or go with the 300x2.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

No way would I put up with an amp that has to be run on hi pass (if that's what you're saying). It'll scream but with no bass response.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Really pissed with Bagger Nation! I asked them if they had the amps for my bike June 2012 june 10th, they said yes, charged me for them, sent me one that was a two channel amp, I called them back and there response was " we dont or not always here because we are put on the rally train" I said well then why did you tell me you had the amp when you kniew you did not??????? I need 4 channel , not a two. THey said you will have to wait till we come back. WTF is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really?????? Paul Yaffe can go **** himslef!!!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:51 PM
z06elmo
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i find that it sounds better on HP than it does on AP on my setup. I'm running it with the rockford T165 speakers which aren't that strong. I have the amp setup on HP and gain set to 1 (lowest setting). only been a week but hopefully mine doesn't die out either.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 AM
DRM510
Advanced
Talking

Well after all the hassle. I found out that my ground was insufficent. I listened to some bird brain who mentioned grounding the amp to the forks, to the lower triple tree..Bad idea!!! it should be grounded to you battery!! And on high pass the amp actually still delivers all the bass you could expect out of 4 coax speakers on a bike. On all pass it would distort easily. The high pass keeps you from ruining your speakers!

Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 AM
emxgarcia
2nd Gear

When you select High-Pass do you adjust the Variable High Level Adjustment?

Old 09-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fathog
Ground is tight, grounded to the tree. Rears play, but they are not hooked to the amp. All connections are tight. Fronts just buzz.

EVERY one I know of grounded to the tree's blows up...........It has to go to the battery.......

Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 PM
almuerzo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Coolhawg6622
EVERY one I know of grounded to the tree's blows up...........It has to go to the battery.......
Well....my first one, I went to the tree for the ground. (Before finding this thread) My second went to the battery for the ground. Both of those have burned up. I'll hook the third one up and see how long it lasts.

I never did change the factory settings either. I'm not sure about the pass setting. I kept the gain at about 50% also. Any pointers anyone? I'm not having very good luck.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 PM
CGP93
Tourer
Location: Orig Surfers Paradise Australia, then Riyadh Saudi Arabia, Tokyo, Toronto, now So Cal
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by almuerzo
Well....my first one, I went to the tree for the ground. (Before finding this thread) My second went to the battery for the ground. Both of those have burned up. I'll hook the third one up and see how long it lasts.

I never did change the factory settings either. I'm not sure about the pass setting. I kept the gain at about 50% also. Any pointers anyone? I'm not having very good luck.
I am running the PBR 300x2 with J&M Rokker XTC's on my SG - had it in for several weeks and put plenty of miles on the system now. This is what worked for me, its just my experience, and I am well impressed with the set up..
Use 10 AWG power and ground, both to the battery. Frequency set to just under 100hz, gain at 4 and HP set with, high level speaker inputs. (cut those F#cking RCA's OFF!!) Absolutely no complaints, its loud and clear at 80m/hr and I have checked and triple checked for excessive heat from this amp and I have not experienced any. If anything I will take my fairing off in the next few weeks and back the gain off to 3 as i get a little distortion at around 3/4 volume.
Base response is more than adequate (remember its a Harley, not a Home Theater..) I did use the J&M inner fairing acoustic dampening pads - this tightens up the base "some what" (... note above point about Harley, not Home Theater..)
Also worth noting is that the quality of the media file your playing makes a hell of a difference...

Last edited by CGP93; 01-05-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Rockford Fosgate 300X4 Did it BLOW today! Need Advise