Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Pipe glow red

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:59 PM
nitrorc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Header Pipe glow red

I just recently picked up an 07 SG with 6500 hundred miles. Seller tells me he did 5K service and I made sure to check. Called OC HD and they did verify it came in for service. I moved away from the stock header pipes and installed V&H true duals, what a difference in sound I-Like-it! Nice rumble. My setup is V&H, high flow kit and bassani scalloped mufflers and V&H fuel pack.

Question: Here is my problem, rear cylinder gets super red after going down the street. At start-up its fine until I get to 2K rpm and let idle its RED. Is this normal? Fuel pack was installed by HD dealer and they said map is on the dot from V&H.

Let me know what you all think. I don't want to break my 20K bike!

Old 12-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either you have an obstruction in the rear exhaust pipe downstream, or the rear jug is running WAY too lean. My guess would be that it's lean. See if you have flow through the rear pipe. If it seems OK, try reloading the tune and see if it remedies the situation. If not, I wouldn't ride it until you figure out what the problem is.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 PM
nitrorc
Advanced

It's strange it just get real red right before the O2 sensor. The dealer mapped fuel pack should I take it back?

Old 12-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Bigfoot1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take it back, on a trailer. They'll try an pin it on you if ya ride it in hot. That is, if they're anything like the ones round here.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:29 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

First I'd call the service manager and tell him what it's doing, if the service dept. is worth anything they will probably tell you to get it in (gentaly) ASAP if you dont really bad things will happen to your beloved engine. If they say this is normal please post this dealer.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:50 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you bringing the RPM up to 2000 while the bike is not moving? If so how long are you holding it there before letting it idle? I think in the dark a dim red glow on the rear cyl exhaust pipe (not the chrome cover) may be normal at idle after any sustained idle and 2000 RPM bursts. My Shovel would turn red on the front pipe without air accross the cyl for extended idle and it runs black plugs (rich). If you get a tune there is a huge fan/blower making air on your engine to cool it.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:56 PM
nitrorc
Advanced

Yes it's sitting in the garage with door open. I start it up and let it idle for 3-5 mins. Then I hit throttle up to 2K rpm for about 1-2 mins while sitting still then let it idle. Rear pipe is now getting red. I'll try to get the home-depot steel fan running in the AM and do the same and see what it does. Maybe you could be right, no cool air running through that section of the bike.

I'll post result tomorrow in the AM.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Keith50
Cruiser

Why would you let it sit in the garage and idle so long and them rev it for a min are two ?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:58 AM
nitrorc
Advanced

I start it up in the garage before I pull it out to ride and noticed it was running real red on the second cylinder. This was the entire reason i took it in to get a fuel pack dealer recommended it.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:06 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Sounds like something still not right. Under extended warranty? I would take it back.

Quick Reply: Header Pipe glow red