Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Pipe glow red

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 01:31 AM
JWitz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of great advice here...it is probably too lean....and you definitely do not want to run it.....major damage.....

Old 12-17-2011, 07:50 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

You may or may not have a "problem", the lean analysis that so many have offered is pure speculation. Albeit a safe assumption considering the new stage I components, still no way of knowing without reading the exhaust gas. Warming up for five minutes and then laying into the throttle for an other 2 minutes at 2k while sitting still, its not surprising your pipe is red. A lot of people have reported dull red glowing pipes on the newer O2 contriolled bikes, in stock configuration. I will suggest there may be an imbalance in your tune from front to rear cyclinder, regardless of the AFR values of the tune condition, the front and rear should be the same; while sitting still both pipes should be red if one is red. As mentioned previously air flowing up front while moving will keep the front pipe from turning red. Forget tying to read plugs in an EFI, get it hooked up to a dyno with a sniffer or install a stand alone O2 dataloging system.

"Fuel pack was installed by HD dealer and they said map is on the dot from V&H."
The dealer didn't tune your bike, they only uploaded a "canned map" for your group of components, take it back and get it tuned.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:09 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
You may or may not have a "problem", the lean analysis that so many have offered is pure speculation. Albeit a safe assumption considering the new stage I components, still no way of knowing without reading the exhaust gas. Warming up for five minutes and then laying into the throttle for an other 2 minutes at 2k while sitting still, its not surprising your pipe is red. A lot of people have reported dull red glowing pipes on the newer O2 contriolled bikes, in stock configuration. I will suggest there may be an imbalance in your tune from front to rear cyclinder, regardless of the AFR values of the tune condition, the front and rear should be the same; while sitting still both pipes should be red if one is red. As mentioned previously air flowing up front while moving will keep the front pipe from turning red. Forget tying to read plugs in an EFI, get it hooked up to a dyno with a sniffer or install a stand alone O2 dataloging system.

"Fuel pack was installed by HD dealer and they said map is on the dot from V&H."
The dealer didn't tune your bike, they only uploaded a "canned map" for your group of components, take it back and get it tuned.
fabrik8r
I have the same V&H pipes. The covers on the rear pipe right behind the head are a little narrow and round out at the end allowing you to see the exhaust pipe. The front cover is less revealing of the actual pipe. "ABOUT" 2 minutes at static 2K rpm will more than likely turn both pipes slightly red. I am not going to try it to see.
I agree on the on the dot dealer statement. Although my HP and torque only changed about 6% the dyno tune made a lot of difference in the map including a difference in front and rear fuel map that did not exist with the canned map. The canned map did not have any timing adjustments for either cylinder.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Sporty302
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just as an FYI, saw the same red glowing header pipes on my buddy's Sporty after replacing rocker gaskets. Started it in the garage and revved it up to check for leaks. Didn't take long to see the pipes start to glow so we shut it down. Took a short test ride after cool down and all was good! Air flow over the motor is essential for proper operation at above idle rpms.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:23 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master

I came from a no covers on exhaust world and even if you did not have an air leak or lean motor you could F up a new set of pipes in the garage in ten minutes ( I hate blue burned pipes). When I look at the actual pipes on this bike I cring at how hot they must get and see why the MOCO added the covers.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:34 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

I don't understand why you'd want run her for 3-5 minutes to warm her up and then holding her at 2000 rpm's for a couple of minutes in a garage or outside in the first place.
Call up Vance and Hines to get the correct or latest map settings and install them yourself, takes only a couple of minutes, (you could do it in the time you that dumb *** warm up routine).

Old 12-17-2011, 08:42 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
Sounds like something still not right. Under extended warranty? I would take it back.
Bingo!

Old 12-17-2011, 09:41 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 531 Posts

i have an 07 ,they run stupid lean in stock form(after lots of complaints harley made changes for the newer bikes)my head pipes would glow red also,got the its normal bs then the it sheds heat better bs, a good tune made all the difference for me,with fuel pack u have know way of knowing how its running its a pure guessing game,I went first to xied"s they helped but not enough,then pcv fuelmoto map huge improvement,just for curiosity sake put it on the dyne,map was so close no further tuning was required.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:51 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master

Stupid lean + no Load @ 2000 rpm = real stupid lean = red pipe.
Dealer will probably say it's normal. Does it hurt anything the way it is running? Probably not if you don't run no load 2K rpm for 2 min.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
I don't understand why you'd want run her for 3-5 minutes to warm her up and then holding her at 2000 rpm's for a couple of minutes in a garage or outside in the first place.
+1 on that bro!!! WTF!!!!!!! Why not pin the throttle for 15 or 20 seconds and see if the rpm limiter works while your at it!!! Sheeeeesh!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Header Pipe glow red