Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide handlebars not straight

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:03 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Might be a dumb question, but is it the bars, or the fairing? The reason I ask is because when my bike was new I had a similar problem and it ended up being the fairing brackets that had to be adjusted.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 PM
jhamm
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not a dumb question. gonna try those two things next. fairing appears straight thinking of switching bars anyway so mabye that will help.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:31 AM
Bigdave12768
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL mine looks slightly off too. I live with and look at the road not how my spedo is lined up with the fairing

Old 12-17-2011, 05:57 AM
hawg50
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

its more than likely the fairing.most folks dont notice,or dont care.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:04 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My road king is the same way. I never noticed until late in the summer. If you look at the bars and forks and wheel/ fender assembly, everything seems lined up pretty straight. For me the bar/nacelle assembly looks crooked in relation to the tank. I did have the tank off at one point this summer, and I also changed the bars. I also had to trailer it to have a flat fixed. I may have cranked down too tight on the straps. I plan to loosen some stuff, moving and re-tightening, just haven't tried it yet.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:10 AM
Mighty Nation
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is not the fairing or the bars. I had the fairing off and I have changed out my bars and it is still like that. It is not an illusion either. Something is twisting the bars and it always seems to be to the right. I brought mine to several dealers and they all said they don’t see a problem. I have a few friends that have the same problem; the dealer tells them the same thing, nothing wrong. It bugs the hell out of me because my bars are still too short and I have to reach for them and the reach on the left side is a little more, it is a little more uncomfortable riding with my left hand on the bars. I figure when I put some bars on that I don’t have to reach for the difference in the reach probably won’t matter anymore.
This is another case of HD poor quality control that they won’t admit to.

Last edited by Mighty Nation; 12-17-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:58 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have another theory about this and it's probably a load of crap, but here goes. Every time I read one of these crooked handlebar threads it seems like the bars are always pointed to the right. Is it possible that because we are riding on the right side of the road, and the roads are crowned that the bike is actually leaning slightly to the left to compensate for the slope of the road surface therefore pushing the bars slightly to the right? I know in my case the bars don't look crooked sitting in the garage they look crooked going down the road. I can take my hands off the bars and the bike goes straight. Like I said, maybe a load of crap, just throwing it out there.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:08 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,818 Likes on 3,172 Posts

They are rubber mounted on the triple tree. Turn the wheel to full lock opposite the way the bars are going. A quick yank towards center often re-aligns the bars just that easily.

I have to do that to mine every 10,000 miles or so.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:21 AM
blockzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new RG was the same way , mine looked bad , drove me crazy , it was the fairing that was off on mine, loosened the four nuts that hold the inner faiting to the neck , raised the low side up about 1/4" (which mad a 1/2" shift overall from side to side ) and its all good now ...

Old 12-17-2011, 07:34 AM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had this problem on my '08 EGlide, even though the bike tracked straight the handlebars looked to be a couple of degrees off center (towards the right). Dealer worked on it, I worked on it, never could get it fixed so I got used to it.
Noticed it also on my '12 FLTRX even though it appears minor, its noticeable in the way the instrument cluster lines up with the back of the fairing when driving in a straight line, appears as if the bars are turned right a bit. Bike also tracks straight with no pull either way.
I'll check on the "yank" method, never tried that one before ...

Quick Reply: Road Glide handlebars not straight