Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Backplate for SE AC

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011 | 10:29 AM
jefla
|
Road Master
Default Chrome Backplate for SE AC

I purchased the chrome backplate for an SE AC (HD part # 29624-08) and need help getting a gasket and o-rings. Also, I'm going to bitch.

First HD shipped the piece with no gasket or o-rings and no part numbers for these items. Probably nearly every purchaser is replacing the "stock" part so they need these items. WT* Can anyone help me with the gasket and o-ring part numbers and recommend a vendor? Thanks.

Second, the quality of the item was disgusting. The post-installation exposed parts had nice chrome but the portion over which air will flow on its way into the engine was a mess. Very irregular surface; sand-like crap under the chrome that was left over from the manufacturing operation; the "throat" was as rough as asphalt and the diameter of the opening is larger than the injector to which it attaches, creating (I beleive) a turbulance inducing ledge. WT* again. Sanded smooth but unsure about the ledge. Anyone have thoughts on that? Stock was a closer but not perfect fit.

I really do not like being sold crap.

Old 12-15-2011 | 10:39 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member

Take it back and get another one

Old 12-15-2011 | 11:33 AM
kmayHD
Road Master

I posted a similar thread about my disgust after purchasing the SE air cleaner, casting was god awful. Flashing left everywhere, and a rough transition to the throttle body. 10 minutes with a die grinder and flap wheel fixed mine up, some high heat black paint and its beeeeutiful.

Old 12-15-2011 | 11:59 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

You can get the o-rings and gaskets from your dealer, not a big issue.

For me the weird thing is that they dont offer versions of the SE AC with chrome or standard, if you want a SE AC with a chrome backplate, you have to essentially buy a 2nd backplate (the chrome one)

Originally Posted by jefla
I purchased the chrome backplate for an SE AC (HD part # 29624-08) and need help getting a gasket and o-rings. Also, I'm going to bitch.

First HD shipped the piece with no gasket or o-rings and no part numbers for these items. Probably nearly every purchaser is replacing the "stock" part so they need these items. WT* Can anyone help me with the gasket and o-ring part numbers and recommend a vendor? Thanks.

Second, the quality of the item was disgusting. The post-installation exposed parts had nice chrome but the portion over which air will flow on its way into the engine was a mess. Very irregular surface; sand-like crap under the chrome that was left over from the manufacturing operation; the "throat" was as rough as asphalt and the diameter of the opening is larger than the injector to which it attaches, creating (I beleive) a turbulance inducing ledge. WT* again. Sanded smooth but unsure about the ledge. Anyone have thoughts on that? Stock was a closer but not perfect fit.

I really do not like being sold crap.

Old 12-15-2011 | 03:40 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Once again, advantage Ness big sucker.

much lower cost, easier install, equal or better quality and a washable oiled filter media, rather than paper.

Anyone looking to change to a hi flow air cleaner, the S/E just isn't up to snuff.

My Ness big sucker with chrome backplate cost $115 on ebay from easternpc
( the chrome really complements the chrome highlights on the motor, the dull cast grey doesn't work visually)

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-15-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2011 | 04:47 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

gasket is 29241-08 orings 11292. I just replaced mine with the black one and it looks 100X better.

Old 12-15-2011 | 04:55 PM
TNCarters
Road Master

Originally Posted by Keithhu
You can get the o-rings and gaskets from your dealer, not a big issue.

For me the weird thing is that they dont offer versions of the SE AC with chrome or standard, if you want a SE AC with a chrome backplate, you have to essentially buy a 2nd backplate (the chrome one)
This is the reason I bought from Fuelmoto as they have a package set with chrome back plate and oiled filter. Not the cheapest you'll find but a nice package set complete with all gaskets and orings needed.

Old 12-15-2011 | 05:10 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TNCarters
This is the reason I bought from Fuelmoto as they have a package set with chrome back plate and oiled filter. Not the cheapest you'll find but a nice package set complete with all gaskets and orings needed.
Yeah, if I had to do it over, I'd go Fuelmoto or Arlen Ness, didnt really realize the alternatives at the time, would have saved some money.

Old 12-15-2011 | 05:30 PM
kmayHD
Road Master

The ness is definatley better than the SE, but the Fuel Moto looks even better than the ness. BTW when i bought my SE, it was 155, and they wanted 167 for the Ness. Local Stealer......

Old 12-16-2011 | 08:20 PM
TNCarters
Road Master

Just to note the old filter bracket has to be removed from under the gas tank with the Fuelmoto. This is a bit of a pain but only takes about fifteen minutes to figure out how to get a wrench on it. Once its off everything bolts up quickly. I really liked the crankcase breather routing of the Fuelmoto which does not use tubing. Crankcase breather comes into air filter back plate through the center of a couple of hollow bolts. I did not notice much roughness on the Fuelmoto backplate but do not recall it being especially smooth either, just kind of OK.

Quick Reply: Chrome Backplate for SE AC