Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE211 cam upgrade for free. Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:11 PM
Sath
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you normally shift around 4k I suspect that is becasue of your current cam and where they fall off. The question is where do you normally ride or in other words where do you wnat your throttle response? If my dealer offered a free cam swap I'd be willing to pay for the cams of my choice out right if they didnt have them in stock. Then again this might be a ploy for addition mods at your cost such as a dyno tuner/ tune. But either way sounds like you have a opprotunity if you were considering those mods anyways.

Sath

Last edited by Sath; 12-15-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:48 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
looks like an exhuast dip probably tune it and get rid of it I bet.
I only tuned the VE tables, I didn't get into the timing on it so i know they would do better. I out the cams in it and tuned it (quickly) 2 days before we left on a trip, the following day I changed cams in my bike, put on a D&D fatcat and gave it a quick tune. I have a 107" with headwork done that I am going to put in her bike, just trying to decide what cam I want to try in it. Probably run a fatcat on hers as well. That's the reason I never really finished the tune. The bike runs great but I know there is more in it. The 211's are a decent cam, but like mentioned they really want more compression to really work well. Same with my bike, I didn't finish the tune because I plan on swapping cams again this winter. Next time i'll allow 2 day for the cam swap and full tune so I know I will get it done.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Mike
Hi Harleytuner, I didn't get by the H-D shop today, but will tomorrow after work for sure. I'm kinda thinking the same thing. Something is not smellen right here. Although, these guys are pretty good people. I have been working with them a few years now and nothing has been told to me that wasn't straight up. BUT, I did ask the question, should I do it. They don't know I was planning on a tuner shortly after Christmas anyway. (not from them either) You are right about the shopping spree. I already asked for adjustable push rods. That didn't fly. (for free anyway) I don't want to push my luck and wind up with stock if the 211's will be cool. I just don't want to incur any extra expense I don't have to. All this work is under warranty, and not costing me anything....(so far)
I'm not saying your dealer is pulling anything shady, just to expect some additional charges if you take the deal. Your bike will need a tuner and a tune if you put cams in it, so ask the right questions up front. Like "what will this cost?" It could still be a sweet deal for you, unless they overcharge you for the tuner and tune. Like you said, you plan on buying them anyway.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

When I bought my bike in May of 2010 the guys at the dealership tried to talk me into 211's but I was bound and determined to put the 204's in. After the install and dyno we compared the dyno sheets to the 211's. The 204's out preformed the 211's untill 5800 rpm's where the 211's gained 2 hp. If it were me I'd pay a little extra for the 204's or I can sell the dealer my new take out cams on the cheap, I'm just say'n.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

So what is the root cause of why this work is being done? Did a lifter fail? In other words, is the dealer just replacing the damaged parts or are they fixing whatever caused the damage?

I'd take the cams. I've ridden a friends 08 SG with 211's and it pulls nicely.

Zach

Old 12-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Fat Mike
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zach, I had it in the shop before this for a vibration I could feel in my running boards, and it was running rough. I thought it was a fuel problem or needed a tune. They gave me a new rear tire, as it was cupping and put a new compensary sprocket on. It helped, but did not take care of what I was trying to get them to see, or hear or feel. Upon a better inspection (I guess) they heard noise coming from the lifters. So i was called and they said I was right, there was another problem and the lifters would be replaced. When the lifters were finally removed, they saw that the hardening on the rollers were coming off. So they went in further to inspect the cams. Same thing! The case hardening on the lobe's were wearing off too. So I went and saw it myself. The chit was coming off! WTF.... They never saw anything like it before. Me either. Harden steal just doesn't wear off in 21,000 miles. (I don't believe) Sooooo...New lifters, cams, oil pump, cam plate, new cam bearings, I asked for torrington, they agreed and they are going to flush the motor for anything that might have gotten into it. That was the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Parts needed to be ordered, and to make up for the time I have been without the bike, they were going to put in the 211's to sweaten the deal alitttle, for me waiting so long. So that's how the original question came about. Should I take the 211 cams. All this is under warranty work. I was going to the dealership today to see what the hold up was, but missed work because of illness and haven't even felt like calling them. Kinda getting aggravated now.... The weather has been kinda crappy the last week, rain and all so they haven't had a good chance to test ride it. Once again, I am guessing. I told them to get it right, no rush to get it back, but damn!

Old 12-16-2011, 11:35 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Properly hardened steel doesn't fail like that in 21k miles... sounds like the heat treatment process was compromised.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Fat Mike
Cruiser

Well, I got the call last evening. The bike is finished, with all new working parts in the cam side of the motor. Because Of illness, I won't go get it till maybe Tuesday. I can get it today, but as soon as i do, I know I'll hit I-75 and see how it all goes. Right now, I'd be sicker than I was Friday. So, I'll up date my findings and thoughts on the cams Tuesday afternoon. Thanks for all your opinions and recommendations. SE211's are in place!

Old 12-18-2011, 10:58 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Teardrop
I would tell him if they installed the 204's they had a deal.
X2. Without headwork and increased compression the 211 is too big of a cam IMHO. The 204 works great in an otherwise stock engine. But hey, Free is Free!!!

Good luck! hope you're happy with 'em! Really weird about the original lifters/cam failure?...

Last edited by ocezam; 12-18-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Mike
Zach, I had it in the shop before this for a vibration I could feel in my running boards, and it was running rough. I thought it was a fuel problem or needed a tune. They gave me a new rear tire, as it was cupping and put a new compensary sprocket on. It helped, but did not take care of what I was trying to get them to see, or hear or feel. Upon a better inspection (I guess) they heard noise coming from the lifters. So i was called and they said I was right, there was another problem and the lifters would be replaced. When the lifters were finally removed, they saw that the hardening on the rollers were coming off. So they went in further to inspect the cams. Same thing! The case hardening on the lobe's were wearing off too. So I went and saw it myself. The chit was coming off! WTF.... They never saw anything like it before. Me either. Harden steal just doesn't wear off in 21,000 miles. (I don't believe) Sooooo...New lifters, cams, oil pump, cam plate, new cam bearings, I asked for torrington, they agreed and they are going to flush the motor for anything that might have gotten into it. That was the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Parts needed to be ordered, and to make up for the time I have been without the bike, they were going to put in the 211's to sweaten the deal alitttle, for me waiting so long. So that's how the original question came about. Should I take the 211 cams. All this is under warranty work. I was going to the dealership today to see what the hold up was, but missed work because of illness and haven't even felt like calling them. Kinda getting aggravated now.... The weather has been kinda crappy the last week, rain and all so they haven't had a good chance to test ride it. Once again, I am guessing. I told them to get it right, no rush to get it back, but damn!
Hmm. That sucks about the hardening failing, but I'm not sure how that can cause the vibration you were originally complaining about. Did they happen to check your crank run out? I hope it is fixed, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility there are a couple of diferent things going on that aren't necessarily related.

Zach

Quick Reply: SE211 cam upgrade for free. Should I?