Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE211 cam upgrade for free. Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only problem with 255s cruising at 3000 rpm is a substantial loss in mpg or at least mine has. Anyone else notice this?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

211's IMHO are more suited to a Dyna. Mine are ****. But keep askin' and you'll find a reliable consensous here on what maybe your best option.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:52 AM
tat2fatboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 211 in my 2010 flhx and I love them, they hit a nasty lick and I didn't notice no loss of power on the low end,pulls hard

Old 12-15-2011, 04:42 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm thinking that the dealer isn't giving him a shoppong spree for the cams. It's either take the 211's they have in stock or wait untill they get stock cams in. So for all they say he should get 204's or 255's or whatever, I doubt he has that option. I would be curious to know though if this is a dealer ploy to make more money. I.E., tell him he is getting the cams for free, then telling him that he will need to buy a tuner and a dyno tune. Just about every dealer has brand new stock take out cams laying around. Heck, I have at least 6 sets of brand new stock cams, they are not that hard to come by. So I personally think there is more to the story. If he goes with the cam upgrade there more than likely will be more cost incurred would be my guess.

I had the 211's in my '07 Electra Glide for awhile. I liked them, they don't have alot of pull down low, but get the RPM's up and they were a blast. If you are cruising and need/want to kick it in the *** you might want to get used to downshifting. I do have the 211's in my wifes dyna lowrider, and it's a blast to ride even though it's only 96". She's making 95 HP and 95 TRQ with them with V&H sweepers Here's her dyno, you can really see where the cams come in at. Right around 4000 RPM's, almost like a power band in a dirt bike.

Attached Thumbnails SE211 cam upgrade for free. Should I?-kats-dyno.jpg  
Old 12-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Fat Mike
Cruiser

Hi Harleytuner, I didn't get by the H-D shop today, but will tomorrow after work for sure. I'm kinda thinking the same thing. Something is not smellen right here. Although, these guys are pretty good people. I have been working with them a few years now and nothing has been told to me that wasn't straight up. BUT, I did ask the question, should I do it. They don't know I was planning on a tuner shortly after Christmas anyway. (not from them either) You are right about the shopping spree. I already asked for adjustable push rods. That didn't fly. (for free anyway) I don't want to push my luck and wind up with stock if the 211's will be cool. I just don't want to incur any extra expense I don't have to. All this work is under warranty, and not costing me anything....(so far)

Old 12-15-2011, 05:26 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I'm thinking that the dealer isn't giving him a shoppong spree for the cams. It's either take the 211's they have in stock or wait untill they get stock cams in. So for all they say he should get 204's or 255's or whatever, I doubt he has that option. I would be curious to know though if this is a dealer ploy to make more money. I.E., tell him he is getting the cams for free, then telling him that he will need to buy a tuner and a dyno tune. Just about every dealer has brand new stock take out cams laying around. Heck, I have at least 6 sets of brand new stock cams, they are not that hard to come by. So I personally think there is more to the story. If he goes with the cam upgrade there more than likely will be more cost incurred would be my guess.

I had the 211's in my '07 Electra Glide for awhile. I liked them, they don't have alot of pull down low, but get the RPM's up and they were a blast. If you are cruising and need/want to kick it in the *** you might want to get used to downshifting. I do have the 211's in my wifes dyna lowrider, and it's a blast to ride even though it's only 96". She's making 95 HP and 95 TRQ with them with V&H sweepers Here's her dyno, you can really see where the cams come in at. Right around 4000 RPM's, almost like a power band in a dirt bike.
looks like an exhuast dip probably tune it and get rid of it I bet.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:33 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

Like I said I have the 211's in my 09 SG. I'd take the 211's over stock all day and twice on sunday. Riding down low, when I'm just cruising, I haven't noticed any loss in power, but when I get down on it, up in the 3500-4000 range you really feel them coming alive. I would definetly recommend a tuner.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Chances are that the dealer has some 255 take off cams from a 110". I'd go for those. Member iclick gets excellent mpg with his.
I think 211's like a little more compression to work well.

Last edited by nvsteve; 12-15-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:02 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bald1der
Mike,

Like I said I have the 211's in my 09 SG. I'd take the 211's over stock all day and twice on sunday. Riding down low, when I'm just cruising, I haven't noticed any loss in power, but when I get down on it, up in the 3500-4000 range you really feel them coming alive. I would definetly recommend a tuner.
bald1der: Agreed. I have SE211's in my 05 King, and if anything I gained torque in the low end range. A little. Lost virtually nothing. Where I gained A LOT, is exactly where I wanted it; mid range for passing power. Even before I put the S&S 97" on my bike, when whacking the throttle to pass while cruising at 65 mph, my bike would be going 85 mph almost immediately. After installing the big bore kit, it's even better.

To the OP... it really all depends on where YOU want your cams to perform. If you want them to be at their optimum at the low end, then be patient. However, if you choose to go with the SE211's, the result will be ALL gain. There will be no loss in any range. It just comes down to where you want them to peak.

Lastly, a tuner is recommended.

Last edited by gipper; 12-15-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Fat Mike
Cruiser

A tuner is going to happen even if was just haveing the stock cam replaced. SE air cleaner and 4" Rineharts are in place and the dealer download just isn't getting it. So PCV is ging to happen in about 2 weeks if I have it back! Just as long as I don't go to wrong with the 211's I'll be happy.

Quick Reply: SE211 cam upgrade for free. Should I?