Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has lowered their bike???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:13 PM
bambamblazer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who has lowered their bike???

Im thinking about lowering my new bike. Im 6'2" so this would be strictly for looks. I am thinking 2" drop in kit in the front and 1-2" in the back. So those who have lowered yours, how low did you go and any problems???

Old 12-14-2011, 05:29 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I came from a lowered softail (2" lowered Fatboy) and one of the best things about my Road Glide is that it doesnt drag floorboards in every turn like my Fatboy did.

My Road Glide Custom has the 1"lower rear shocks and I may lower the front 1" to level it out sometime in the future but Im sure I would not do more than that since the handling and ride quality is more important to me than the looks.

In general, lower means less travel=rougher ride and handling

With the HD 12" shocks in the rear I already have less travel than a stock Touring bike and when I can Ill up grade the rear shocks to either Ohlins or 940 Progressives to get a longer travel "lowered shock"

Old 12-14-2011, 05:30 PM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

At 6'2" your bike already looks low with you on it!

Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I lowered the rear to 11.50" with bitchin bagger shocks. I initially lowered the front as well with progressive drop in springs. The ride up front was a bit harsh and the bike stood up too straight on the kickstand. So I kept the rear lowered and put the front back to stock. Feels and rides great!

Old 12-14-2011, 05:41 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

I lowered my 2012 SG -2" Front w/21" wheel (Progressive MonoTubes no spacers) and I installed Legends Air on the rear which allow me to adjust "on the fly". The ride sucks, but it looks cool!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:41 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

so consensus is "ride sucks" & "stuff drags" & maybe your front fender hits the bottom of the triple tree, and the rear tire tears the wiring out of the inside of the rear fender, or grooves the tire.

oh and you can't lean the bike over as far in curves

you should NOT lower the front more than the back, this would put you in a bad place rake vs trail.

You can lower the rear more than the front, for example all touring bikes use the same front end, but some models have shorter shocks ( streetglide for one).

On my EG Classic, I use streetglide ( -1") shocks in town, the stock height go back on for touring, it takes less than 20 minutes.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-14-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:17 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've lowered my Ultra front and back. Front end 1" with the HD Low Profile kit. 1" in the rear with Ohlin 2-2's. I'm short 5'5" so it was necessary for safety, but even so I have given up 1" worth of shock absorbing travel.

You're 6'2" and unless you're skinny as a rail you're probably pushing 220lbs. To drop 2 inches in travel means you will have to use very stiff springs and beefy dampning so as not to bottom out but now you'll have somewhat of a harsh ride.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master

lowered 2" in the back with road6customs blocks.........front is stock I wanted the raked look......been that way for a year.... and have no problems what so ever......ride everyday

Last edited by Tripp_HPjunkie; 12-14-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: I cant spell :)
Old 12-14-2011, 08:22 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripp_HPjunkie
lowered 2" in the back with road6customs blocks.........front is stock I wanted the raked look......been that way for a year.... and have no problems what so ever......ride everyday

Im actually expecting those same blocks from road6 myself...hope i have the same good luck as you have.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Im actually expecting those same blocks from road6 myself...hope i have the same good luck as you have.

Worth every penny IMO loctite everything and you should be good..........the kits come with every nut,bolt,washer you could need.....plus ive had good luck with that company in the past....

Quick Reply: Who has lowered their bike???