Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thumbs up for the Jiffy stand!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 PM
08FXDC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hecklerboy
Well there's something I didn't know.
I always get that nervous feeling when jumping off my bike and it moves forward.
Glad to know it locks.

Thanks for letting us know!!
+1

Always made me nervous to watch my new bike rolling forward...

Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 PM
razzoo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
I've wondered in the past why Harley would design a kickstand that seemed prone to giving owners the heebie-jeebies. You throw it down, get off the bike, and then the whole thing rolls forward just enough to make you nervous. Most manufacturers simply use an overcenter stand, and I've wondered why we never had that.

They say if you ride long enough, you'll do it all when it comes to doing it wrong, and tonight I learned another lesson ALMOST the hard way. Got home from work, threw the stand down while idling and climbed out of the saddle while letting the clutch lever out to open the garage door.

Turned out the bike wasn't in neutral, and when I let the clutch out the whole machine lurched before dying. After gathering my wits and checking to see if any neighbors witnessed this idiocy, I looked down and noticed that the bike hadn't fallen BECAUSE the Jiffy stand hit the lock tab - the driveway had a drag mark that was about a foot long, but the stand did it's job.

Thanks to HD for anticipating stunts like this, and now I see why it's designed the way it is. Just thought I'd post in case this question has ever crossed anyone else's mind...
I had the same thing happen on my bike, not fun. My normal habit is to always clutch the bike when you hit the starter (even if you think it is in neutral), but in my case I can't do that if the bike is cold as my left hand is busy with ensuring the choke is all the way out.

Also there are different ways to solve this, for example a kick stand switch that keeps the bike from running if the bike iis n gear the stand is down solves the problem with much less excitement...

Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It's kinda fun sometimes to roll up to some people who have already got off their bikes and stop, jump off and watch them run to catch the bike because they think it's falling off the kickstand. Of course, I'd never do that on purpose.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:56 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 421 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by smithbrl
It's kinda fun sometimes to roll up to some people who have already got off their bikes and stop, jump off and watch them run to catch the bike because they think it's falling off the kickstand. Of course, I'd never do that on purpose.
I have fun doing this as well.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by razzoo
Also there are different ways to solve this, for example a kick stand switch that keeps the bike from running if the bike iis n gear the stand is down solves the problem with much less excitement...
no thank you. don't need or want that. there is enough 'safety' stuff on there now, imo. the neutral safety switch is enough.

The following users liked this post:
hdbob2006 (02-26-2022)
Old 12-14-2011, 05:53 PM
fenderzig
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to admit I was one of the guys complaining about the stand but that was before I read this thread. I had no idea it was locking itself. Good to know and thanks for the info!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

I've had others react to the thing rolling too, and although it's funny to act unconcerned there's always this ****ling doubt... : )

Old 12-14-2011, 07:43 PM
RDK09
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
I've wondered in the past why Harley would design a kickstand that seemed prone to giving owners the heebie-jeebies. You throw it down, get off the bike, and then the whole thing rolls forward just enough to make you nervous. Most manufacturers simply use an overcenter stand, and I've wondered why we never had that.

They say if you ride long enough, you'll do it all when it comes to doing it wrong, and tonight I learned another lesson ALMOST the hard way. Got home from work, threw the stand down while idling and climbed out of the saddle while letting the clutch lever out to open the garage door.

Turned out the bike wasn't in neutral, and when I let the clutch out the whole machine lurched before dying. After gathering my wits and checking to see if any neighbors witnessed this idiocy, I looked down and noticed that the bike hadn't fallen BECAUSE the Jiffy stand hit the lock tab - the driveway had a drag mark that was about a foot long, but the stand did it's job.

Thanks to HD for anticipating stunts like this, and now I see why it's designed the way it is. Just thought I'd post in case this question has ever crossed anyone else's mind...

Well at least u weren't parked to close to the garage door and ran the bike right thru the door!! ....now that my friend woulda sucked!!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:14 PM
jkrahn
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the design as well. A riding buddy earned the nick name 'bull dog' after forgetting to put the stand up when he took off; he ended up in the back of parked car. I guess that's the only real issue with the design.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:25 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by stupid_rope
yep always amazes me when guys complain about the design. it works like it should and its solid

May be, but the dealership should give a lesson on it's use to new owners!!!! I about had a heart attack the first few times my bike started rolling forward as I stepped off.

As a hunter safety instructor for Oklahoma, I ALWAYS teach my classes that safety features are mechanical devices made by humans. And anything made by a human can fail. The best safety is the one between your ears. Never thought it would apply to motorcycles too, but it does.

Last edited by DannyZ71; 12-14-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Thumbs up for the Jiffy stand!