Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VOX has a mind of it's own!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
W0ace
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a NIM installed, and I'd bet that is it. Mine does the same thing. I have to keep the GPS on mute to keep it from doing it. I only use the GPS when I am alone with the volume on, otherwise I can't talk to the group while it's keyed up. Several other guys I ride with have the same problem with the NIM. It's really the software in the GPS. It has random blank spaces of audio and keeps everything keyed up even thou you don't hear anything.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 AM
SoonerDawg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the same issue I have been having. Briefly, when using the headset and listening to music from the 665 xm radio occasionally the volume will suddenly go down, can still hear some music though. when listening to music through the speakers however, the music will suddenly go silent. When this happens when I use the volume control the display on the radio says "Phone". This leads me to believe the comment from WOace above. I am riding in a few minutes and will trying muting the gps and see if that works. If so, then I guess the next step is finding a solution. I'm an old guy so don't know what NIM is...........

Old 12-23-2011, 12:30 AM
Colorado08FLSTCI
Advanced

The NIM is the Navigation Interface Module and enables the GPS (along with its MP3/XM radio) to work through the stock radio. All the different issues listed here, intermittent low volume, CB & intercom channels opening up randomly (VOX), adjusting volume when the volume drop occurs shows "phone" mode, etc are all symptoms I personally experienced with the old NIM. The new NIM took care of those problems. I did have a problem with the intercom channel opening one time after and that was traced to the headset cord not making a good connection to the bike.

I would strongly recommend checking to see which NIM is installed on your bike. I listed the part #s in a previous post here and on a thread I linked to. If you have anything other than the new NIM, HD should replace it for free.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:51 AM
SoonerDawg
6th Gear

Colorado -- great help, thanks. I will check with my dealer tomorrow.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:43 AM
SoonerDawg
6th Gear

Dealer had not heard of any problems with the NIM; service manager called Harley and described issues. HD tried to say they had never had any problems reported like this and if there was a faulty part they would have issued a recall. They called again while I was there and were still denying any issues when I mentioned that when the volume drops and I try adjusting the volume control -- the dash show "phone" -- now HD says that yes they have had some problems like that reported. My dealer did not have any new NIM's so HD is shipping to them and I will have installed next Tuesday.

Will post the result.

On a side note, one of my riding buddies had the same issues and Rossmeyer's Destination Daytona replaced on the spot and problem solved.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Copyless
Supporter

Sooner, glad to hear that you are getting it taken care of, because they definitely know of the problem, this is why they redesigned the unit.

I still have the old NIM installed, because this problem occurs when using XM or the mp3 with the 660/665. For whatever reason the first NIM used a tonal carrier instead of a digital pulse, this is what causes the problem. The music (usually synthesized) causes the radio to think it has received the carrier and mutes the radio for the spoken commands from the 660/665. Since the music caused it and not the 660/665 there is nothing heard, and unfortunately sometimes a long wait for this to fix itself, since the tone too stop may or may not occur.

The new one uses a digital pulse, so this problem will not occur anymore, and since I don't use XM or the mp3 part of the 660/665, only the iPod interface, I don't have a problem with this happening, but as Colorado stated anyone that has a muting problem with the NIM installed while listening to XM or mp3, guaranteed 99% the NIM is the problem.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:19 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Went to the dealer today to see if they would replace mine. After they talked to harley tech services I was told the length of time that the unit pauses the radio was changed. They denied I could have a problem with the old NIM part. So I'll try a different dealer and see what they say.

There is also some info on the forum that is incorrect. 76000024 is the part number for the whole NIM kit, this number is still in use. Part #83537 - 11A is the part number for just the NIM module. the A at the end does indicate the module is revised in one way or another.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
SoonerDawg
6th Gear

prostar -- HD Tech tried to tell my dealer the same thing. when I mentioned to them that when the volume drops and I use the volume control the dashboard display reads "phone" then the HD Tech acknowledged they had heard of this problem and authorized a NIM replacement. The part you mention above, ending in A, is what they used for replacement and it seems to be working now as it should.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:45 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Well today I installed the new NIM # 83537-11A, the part was made on 9-12-11 it is the newer version. It appears to have fixed the problem.

It is real important to tell your dearer when the volume fades and you adjust the volume the screen of the radio reads phone.navigation. When listening to XM and everything is working correctly and you adjust the volume the screen should read AUX.

I am thankful the dealer was able to get the part as a warranty item.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:45 AM
jokerjoed
Stage IV

I know this is an old thread, but I'm experiencing this issue. Went to dealership and they stated I have the correct NIM, but when I told them the issue I was having, their response was "its working as intended", what....

Anyway, I have the 2011 Electra Glide apart and wanted to check for myself, but can not find any model numbers on the NIM cables or mount. Does anyone know how to tell if I have the old 76000024 or new 83537-11a model?

Quick Reply: VOX has a mind of it's own!