Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VOX has a mind of it's own!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:30 PM
SLOWH8R
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VOX has a mind of it's own!

I have a 2010 Ultra Classic that has had a VOX problem from day 1.
The VOX activates itself randomly. Even with the VOX set to OFF. The squelch and volumes are set correctly. It will come on and lower the volume of the AM, FM or music from my Zumo, makes no difference which mode it's in. It's just as if I hit the PTT. Has no correlation to ambient noise. If i yell into the mike (VOX set to off) it does not come on, it just comes on randomly.
Dealer has updated the radio, replaced the Zumo and I updated the Zumo to latest version, problem still persists????

Any ideas?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If you go to the Intercom tab on left side of radio then make sure it says off. If not push the top left button next to the on/off on the screen. I also keep my CB off when not using it by selecting com and turning it off. The Vox and cb won't work then. If it does the radio is bad would be my suspicion. Also make sure the hole in the microphone is toward you mouth and not in the wind.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 AM
SLOWH8R
Intermediate

It does it with the intercom off and the CB on. I use the CB frequently while group riding and should not have to turn it off to avoid this problem.
I suspect it is something in the radio, either hardware or software that causes the intercom VOX to activate randomly while turned off.
I guess the next step is to see if the dealer will replace the radio??

Old 12-13-2011, 12:49 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Make sure your squelch isn't breaking on the cb. It will give the same static sound as the vox activating. I usually run my squelch about half scale. The conditions for cb are good right now and could be the problem. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:51 AM
SLOWH8R
Intermediate

Squelch is at half, so it's not that.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:21 AM
Colorado08FLSTCI
Advanced

Do you have the Navigation Interface Module or NIM installed for the Zumo? If you do, that is your problem. If you have a NIM, most likely part #76000024, or anything other than part #83537 - 11A which was released in July 2011, you need to get it replaced. Dealer should replace it at no charge as older versions were defective.

Related thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...de-issues.html

Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 AM
SLOWH8R
Intermediate

Colorado08FLSTCI, I've read through the referenced thread and my issue is different. I don't have a problem with volume or voice directions. My VOX activates itself randomly even with the VOX turned off. All volumes & squelch are set correctly and ambient noise has no correlation to the issue.
Still perplexed...

Old 12-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Colorado08FLSTCI
Advanced

I would still check the NIM to make sure you have the most recent part. One other thing to check is if you are using a headset, make sure it is fully plugged in and or the connectors are not damaged.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:03 PM
SLOWH8R
Intermediate

Will do, Thanks.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:19 PM
ks6c
Tourer

Honestly, what you're describing sounds much more like the CB is breaking squelch. VOX only works with the Intercom on - CB requires you to push the Push-To-Talk button.

If you are listening to the radio and the CB is on, there will be a little "CB" in the display - it will highlight when squelch breaks.

Squelch set to mid-scale is still fairly sensitive. It is quite possible for a distant station to break squelch but you not be able to make out any of their transmission, so it might seem like your VOX is kicking in.

Quick Reply: VOX has a mind of it's own!