Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paul Yaffe's BaggerNation Rockford Fosgate System Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 PM
R100LT
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that wasn't the most flattering pic of my set up ( just had sitting on the desktop and was already sized to go ).

In a previous life I had the good fortune to be involved in some really high end audio installations ( Home Theatre and Marine as a I was an Apple Store Manager and brought in to set up the media/music server ) I set alot of time with my Audio Yoda and the thing that he pressed on me is that " Its not about LOUD & BIG ...BUT BALANCE "

In 2010 whilst I was touring around the West Coast of USA I got to see & hear alot of custom audio installs on HD's and other bikes, especially at the Motto GP in Monterey ( I think the Hayabusa boys win for ingenious and Victory for best sound off the show room floor ) . I did see one system on a HD that blew me away ... when I approached the owner to tell time how impressive his system was, he replied " It should .. it cost me 5 grand "

Anyhoo .. back to the topic. Over the past few months I have had alot of spare time on my hands ( I am now a 24/7 " Soul " parent to two beautiful girls 6 & 4 ) and did a ton of research before I started putting my sound system together.

Some of things that I have learnt.

1) HU . Don't get too carried away with these because at the end of the day all it is on a motorcycle is a controller for your ipod and you will need to add it to add an amp to hear it at highway speeds. Waterproof and able to be operated with one hand whilst driving is all that is important . I went for the Clarion Marine CSM1 ... has its bugs but overall very nice ( I got a great deal on that )

2) Rockford Fosgate probably are making the best stuff for riders needs at their prices . Love their Punch PBR300X1 Amp for my sub woofer ... Really working hard to fit the pair of 6x9's that I got for $45 coz for that price they are sweet ( and almost disposal if they get wet )

3) On a tight Budget ??? I recommend the following .
Power Acoustik Speakers . I got the XPS -104 . They are a 4' mid bass speaker. Cost me $9.95 plus shipping and I am really impressed with the make and has a great sound from them. I think they also do a 5'1/4 also.

Pyle PLMRMP3A Amp . Its no where near what they state a 4 x 100w amp . More like a 40-50 watt , but at $50 and its small footprint they are a great entry level whilst you are setting up your system.

4) If you got the space .
Don't forget the sub woofer . Doesn't need to " over power " your set up , just to round of the low end that no 6" or 6x9 or any other speaker can really get down to ( the 120 hz range and below ).

An EQ . This just helps to tweak , especially that you will find different sound levels when you have songs/genres on your ipod . I got the Clarion EQS746 . and again for under $50 ... its a nice little unit .

Well thats my 5 cents worth . I will probably slink back to the Beemer forums where they think I am mad for installing a sound system . Its all about GPS & Heated Vests there ( I don't get lost and not cold enough in OZ for that )

Old 02-07-2012, 06:38 PM
R100LT
2nd Gear

Looks like I killed this thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R100LT
Looks like I killed this thread
It was more of an off topic hi-jack!!!

No feelings are hurt as I just wanted to provide install help and pictures for anyone interested in this setup!

I'm loving mine and next up is a Sony headunit installed using a Hawg Wired kit!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 03:22 PM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by davidw221
Great write up, I have an Fosgate PBR300X4, I'm having my mechanic install today, all my speakers are 4ohm, and I have a Sony radio I'm really looking forward for the new sound.
Temps in Indianapolis are suppose to be 44F that's good enough for me!

how did you connect an after market radio, such as Sony, Blaupunt, and the sort to your Harley harness connectors..im curious to know where to turn to when you wanna run an anftermarket radion using your stock connections.

or did you use the cut and splice method.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:25 PM
pauly3
Tourer

Originally Posted by CRZYLGZZ
how did you connect an after market radio, such as Sony, Blaupunt, and the sort to your Harley harness connectors..im curious to know where to turn to when you wanna run an anftermarket radion using your stock connections.

or did you use the cut and splice method.
You would use a Hawg Wired or Biketronics kit. Both of these are primarily plug and play and allow you to retain handlebar controls.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:34 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a fair deal on the PBR300X4 amp.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockford-Fos...item519d4b0d1a

Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 PM
LADNAR
Tourer

Originally Posted by ripper43
Here is a fair deal on the PBR300X4 amp.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockford-Fos...item519d4b0d1a
That is a really good deal!

Isn't there a member on here that sells a mounting bracket and wiring kit for this amp?

Old 02-10-2012, 07:07 AM
Heathen
Tourer

Originally Posted by GLACIERPEARL
Bagger Nation has lower 6X9 inserts ???
I made the lowers . Will post pictures when the painter is done.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:01 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LADNAR
That is a really good deal!

Isn't there a member on here that sells a mounting bracket and wiring kit for this amp?
I think there is, but I don't remember who. start a thread and ask.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:35 AM
cmonico
Advanced

I just installed this amp with the RF T1S652 front speakers and the RF T152 rears. Sounds great, my audio upgrades are finally done. I've had stock, Harley Boom, and Hogtunes. This system beats them all.

Quick Reply: Paul Yaffe's BaggerNation Rockford Fosgate System Installed!