Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Vance and Hines Hi-output slipon vs. ????

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 AM
5W0P3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Vance and Hines Hi-output slipon vs. ????

While i'm pretty new to Harley's in general i'm not new to the mechanical and aftermarket world for motorcycles fourwheerlers and other toys.

I picked up the Vance and Hines High Output slip on the other day and now i've decided to gut my cat out, which i'll probably do this weekend. The question is, I felt a little loss when I put the slip on - on it seems. Now I know buy gutting the cat i'll be getting closer to needing a fuelpak or a PC-V but would I have been better to go with another pipe instead? It seems everything I read about the V&H is that it's for either highly modded motors or much larger motors. Harley dealer has a 2010 (single out) 4" Rinehart slip-on for $280 that i'm thinking bout picking up and trading out the V&H for. Would that benefit me? Am I splitting hairs?

***UPDATE*** (Page 2)
Picked up a single out rinehart and going to gut the cat this weekend! 12-18-2012 - V&H High Output Slip On with 20 miles on it - FOR SALE!

Last edited by 5W0P3; 12-15-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The Vance and Hines High Output slip on is made for highly modded motors. It is very open (low back pressure on fairly stock motors) and is very loud from what I've read.
So you probably did loose some low end torque.

The 4" Rinehart slip-on was made to compete with the Vance & Hines Monster series mufflers.
They are not very loud, but has a deeper low rumble.

If you want some noise you'll need the 3 1/2" Rinehearts or the regular Vance & Hines.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:41 AM
5W0P3
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
The Vance and Hines High Output slip on is made for highly modded motors. It is very open (low back pressure on fairly stock motors) and is very loud from what I've read.
So you probably did loose some low end torque.

The 4" Rinehart slip-on was made to compete with the Vance & Hines Monster series mufflers.
They are not very loud, but has a deeper low rumble.

If you want some noise you'll need the 3 1/2" Rinehearts or the regular Vance & Hines.
Excellent post! I dont think my V&H is very loud though - hence why I'm losing the cat to get some more sound out of it. I'm thinking I probably would be better off with a different muffler though now.

How is it that the smaller Rinhart is louder?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:01 AM
DbbleD
Cruiser
Default no loss

FYI -- I am running a gutted 2010 header and V&H Hi-Output on my 04 88" with screamin eagle air cleaner and PCIII. For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any loss and it isn't loud at all -- nice low growl...

I'm saving up for some engine mods now and I'm sure it will be even better then...

my .02 -- DD

Originally Posted by 5W0P3
While i'm pretty new to Harley's in general i'm not new to the mechanical and aftermarket world for motorcycles fourwheerlers and other toys.

I picked up the Vance and Hines High Output slip on the other day and now i've decided to gut my cat out, which i'll probably do this weekend. The question is, I felt a little loss when I put the slip on - on it seems. Now I know buy gutting the cat i'll be getting closer to needing a fuelpak or a PC-V but would I have been better to go with another pipe instead? It seems everything I read about the V&H is that it's for either highly modded motors or much larger motors. Harley dealer has a 2010 (single out) 4" Rinehart slip-on for $280 that i'm thinking bout picking up and trading out the V&H for. Would that benefit me? Am I splitting hairs?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I had the Hi Ouputs and dresser duals on my old bike. It ran like ****,but it sure did sound great.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:09 AM
5W0P3
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DbbleD
FYI -- I am running a gutted 2010 header and V&H Hi-Output on my 04 88" with screamin eagle air cleaner and PCIII. For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any loss and it isn't loud at all -- nice low growl...

I'm saving up for some engine mods now and I'm sure it will be even better then...

my .02 -- DD
It might be your programmer that's helping you out there, those are basically the exact mods I want.

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
I had the Hi Ouputs and dresser duals on my old bike. It ran like ****,but it sure did sound great.
Yeah... it's still too quiet for me.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:19 AM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

Your pipes aren't loud because the cat limits the db output, which is one of the reasons there is a cat in the pipe. Of course they are quiet

Old 12-12-2011, 09:22 AM
5W0P3
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kyleplusitunes
Your pipes aren't loud because the cat limits the db output, which is one of the reasons there is a cat in the pipe. Of course they are quiet
Well i'm gutting the cat this week with the V&H still so well see what happens after that.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Yeah... it's still too quiet for me.[/QUOTE]

You get rid of the CAT,and put some duals on it will be.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 AM
5W0P3
Cruiser

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
Yeah... it's still too quiet for me.

You get rid of the CAT,and put some duals on it will be.[/QUOTE]

That's another thing. I found a local guy with a 2012 head pipe that wants $50 for it and the shields which i could convert to duals but everyone says i'll lose power doing that too.

Quick Reply: 2010 Vance and Hines Hi-output slipon vs. ????