Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag pin failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011 | 03:40 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

I think for the security alone this is a good idea for us RKC owners. No locks on our bags so the bolt is a way better idea. I would hate to have a bag stolen because they are sure easy to get off and be down the road in a hurry.

Old 12-14-2011 | 03:45 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Subscribed

Old 12-14-2011 | 04:57 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member

Stopped by ACE Hardware on the way home. Did this whole mod for about $10 and 15 minutes labor. Well worth the time and cash.

Old 12-14-2011 | 05:41 PM
minesweeper
Intermediate

On my RK custom I replaced the pins for nuts and bolts primarily for theft reasons. I mean, those things can be removed and gone in 60 seconds. What is up with that???

Old 12-15-2011 | 08:49 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

How about just locking the lids on the hard bags and getting a lock for the soft bags??

X IRON BUTT absolutely nailed it. If you do it correctly you shouldn't have a problem.
The pins don't support anything......on the hard bags - don't know about the soft bags.
I remember a few times I tried to force the pins to turn and I believe that's the reason the ends of the pins deform like X IRON BUTT said.

After reading this thread I will buy a couple extra pins even though I don't have saddlebags anymore, I did buy a set of mini bags for my trike and they also use the same pin....... I think, I'll have to compare the two.

Old 12-15-2011 | 09:06 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
How about just locking the lids on the hard bags and getting a lock for the soft bags??

X IRON BUTT absolutely nailed it. If you do it correctly you shouldn't have a problem.
The pins don't support anything......on the hard bags - don't know about the soft bags.
I remember a few times I tried to force the pins to turn and I believe that's the reason the ends of the pins deform like X IRON BUTT said.

After reading this thread I will buy a couple extra pins even though I don't have saddlebags anymore, I did buy a set of mini bags for my trike and they also use the same pin....... I think, I'll have to compare the two.
There's a video around here somewhere that shows a guy popping off the bags on a Road King in about 10 seconds while they were closed and locked on the bike. It just took a big screwdriver ( prybar ) and a quick smack in the right place and they were off. I hear this is a common theft in motel lots during the evening at bike events.

Last edited by Uncle Larry; 12-15-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2011 | 09:54 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
There's a video around here somewhere that shows a guy popping off the bags on a Road King in about 10 seconds while they were closed and locked on the bike. It just took a big screwdriver ( prybar ) and a quick smack in the right place and they were off. I hear this is a common theft in motel lots during the evening at bik events.
I have a half glass door on the back of my house and installed a double key dead bolt lock like is suggested by most insurance companies. After 20 years of living here we had a break in and the glass on the door was broken but the door was still locked. I thought I lucked out until I went in my dining room and the whole window was broken out. So what does a double dead bolt get you? Another broken window. You can only do so much to protect your cht. I worked in the safe manufacturing business for a few years and safes are built and priced by time to break in (not break in proof). The more valuable the items in it the more time you want the crook to take to get it and the more you pay. The screwdriver guy is more than likely busting the ABS and not stealing the bag but what is in it. So if you happen on the right crook they will get your cht. I have seen live demos of thieves steeling a whole Ultra that had cable locks between both wheels. 4 Big MF's pushed it over onto a mattress and stuck the whole thing in a pick up in less than a minute with out damaging the bike. This is why Allstate is in business and why your insurance is a big chunk of your budget.
The idea of bolting the bags on is buying time to steal them or making them less suceptable to fall off because of pin failure. If a crook is at a rally looking for bags he more than likely has the special tool to get them off. Hopefully with 20K bikes there the ones he gets aren't yours.

Old 12-15-2011 | 11:27 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by spence222
WRONG!!!....The pins CAN and DO FAIL, you obviously have no idea what your talking about!
Like I said before most problems are usually due to the loose nut behind the handlebars, Thank You for once again proving my theory correct!!!

Old 12-15-2011 | 11:41 AM
ks6c
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Exactly what I did. I even splurged and bought stainless bolts. I only put them on the front, left the pin on the rear.
I put in one bolt per bag, too, but I put them in the rear position. I figure if someone is going to try and pry the bags off, they'll approach the bike from the rear - and I want them to run up against the security bolt on their first attempt.

Old 12-15-2011 | 02:55 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Uncle Larry, that was pretty much the same procedure, except for the screwdriver, on getting the glass t-tops from older model Vetts, Camaros and Firebirds. I had to buy a t-top latch lock for mine.

X Iron Butt, that's my thinking too - park in a bunch of bikes and hope yours isn't the best looking one. LOL