Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag pin failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011 | 07:26 PM
spence222
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by qtrracer
That would mean the pins didn't fail, your buddy or whomever put the bags on last failed to twist them into place. Bolts are an option for those who don't trust themselves to install properly or want to reduce saddlebag theft.
WRONG!!!....The pins CAN and DO FAIL, you obviously have no idea what your talking about!

Old 12-13-2011 | 07:30 PM
d2jlking
Tourer

Originally Posted by lionsm13
1 inch stainless allen bolts(in my case) and tinner-man or U nuts.
About $7-8 bux @your local hardware store.
Pretty much theft proof too.

Pic Courtesy of Terra bella
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post9129482

Thats my setup

Old 12-13-2011 | 07:37 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mikesth
Front points are replaced with bolts and the pins are in the back..I have a ratchet wrench in my tool roll that takes them off - less than a minute. Easy and cheap insurance.
I have a short ratcheting box end wrench. Removing the bolt adds about 10 seconds to bag removal.

I've been flying professionally for 40 years and have certainly seen Dzus fasteners fail before, even when installed by professional aircraft mechanics.

Old 12-13-2011 | 07:37 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by spence222
WRONG!!!....The pins CAN and DO FAIL, you obviously have no idea what your talking about!
Well, back in my navy days we used the same type fastners to secure inspection panels on jet airplanes, they seemed to work ok at 500 mph.

I have 130,000 miles on my Roadglde with the same, original fastners, haven't lost a bag yet. If they are used right, they stay put.

Old 12-13-2011 | 07:49 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mighty Nation
That's cool, I trip on a cloud and fell eight miles high.
Ya and I tore my mind on a jagged sky....

Old 12-13-2011 | 08:57 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member

Dumb question, How do they fail? Had My bags off many times and they always looked and worked fine when securing the bag

Old 12-13-2011 | 10:22 PM
wannabe
Cruiser

I have to agree with you, had to buy new pins and a couple spare one's for my wifes bike, because the latch end of the pin had cracked and was afraid it would break off and bag would come off bike, her bike is an '08 that she has put over 50,000 miles on. I think her problem is she overloads the bags with too much crap.

Old 12-13-2011 | 11:58 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master

As stated earlier if you have to struggle at all to install and lock the pins it is because the brackets are not adjusted properly. The bags are supported by the pipe and rubber cushion that runs under them. If struggling (meaning the pins do not go right in and turn and lock front and rear) you should loosen both brackets, center the wire catch in the hole, check rubber cushion for wear and placement in the underside of the bag, set the bags on the pipe, install the pin moving the loosened bracket around untill the pin goes straight in easily, lock the pin in place, snug the brackets and re check the ease of the pin installation. If it is not a straight shot to twist and lock re adjust untill it is. It helps to have a little weight in the bag when doing this to hold it against the support pipe and rubber cushion. The pins were not designed to hold weight up. They are to keep the bag from falling outwards from the bike and are plenty strong for that. If your pins are bending they are trying to support weight verticaly and can not do that.

The brackets can get out of adjustment a lot of ways but the best is when you or your mech does anything under the seat and you have a seat strap one side has to be removed and re installed and the bracket is not installed properly. My riding bud fights his every time he takes them loose. So bad he refuses to take the bags off because it is so difficult to put them back on. I told him he should mention it to his mech to adjust because it should be a peice of cake to remove and install the bags.

BTW Drag sells 2 pins and 2 wire brackets for less than HD sells 1 of each. I carry spares for myself or others that may have a falling bag.

Have A Great Holiday

Old 12-14-2011 | 08:05 AM
RPS1981
Road Master

Originally Posted by ebigfish
can't fall off when bag guards stay on... plus; I like the old school look.
I'm with ebigfish.

Old 12-14-2011 | 09:51 AM
Baffler1
Road Warrior

nice to reread - marking

Quick Reply: Saddle bag pin failure