Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag pin failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011 | 12:52 PM
Mighty Nation
Banned

[quote=Leftcoaster;9135359I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in. .[/quote]

That's cool, I trip on a cloud and fell eight miles high.

Old 12-12-2011 | 01:52 PM
jberg
Road Warrior

I have to believe that the vast majority of lost bags are due to the 1/4-turn bolts being not completely and properly locked in place. Having at least one of the Brukus type set-ups per bag is good for theft deterrant if that is an issue for you. I know my bags won't fall off because I still have the bag guards in place though I would consider bolting one pin per bag if the bike was vulnerable to theft.

Old 12-12-2011 | 02:20 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

The tips of the OEM clevis pins will spread making them less secure--the spring/bracket assemblies are not difficult to move ever so slightly.

I've had my bags on the bike for many years and miles, but went w/ the Brukus hardware. Thanks to the guy who posted on the less expensive hardware to replicate the Brukus solution.

Yes, it's less convenient to use threaded screws instead of the clevis pins to secure the bags, but it only takes a minute to remove the screws to remove the bags.

Carl

Old 12-13-2011 | 03:39 PM
mcain49
Road Master

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
I did something similar but used 1 1/4" Button head bolts and then added a stainless steel 5/16 lock washer on top of the stock washer. Less likely for anything in the saddlebags to catch on using the button head.
I did this yesterday on my Ultra using the suggested parts from Ace Hardware. The 5/16 18 U nuts come in two sizes (long and short). Get the short ones because the long ones are too long. I used allen bolts with my stock washers and replaced all 4 fasteners. Whole job took about 45 minutes. The bags are rock solid now and price was about $6. Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-13-2011 | 05:41 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

lots good ideas on how to secure these bags and saddle bag guards also come in play to minimize the damage to the bag in case it does get loose. Stock pins do wear out and spread apart after few years of use.

Old 12-13-2011 | 05:57 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
lots good ideas on how to secure these bags and saddle bag guards also come in play to minimize the damage to the bag in case it does get loose. Stock pins do wear out and spread apart after few years of use.
My thoughts on the whole bolt em on theory
1. Stock(dzus) fasteners, if someone is using them enough to wear them out, I'd think putting in bolts would be a huge inconvenience
2. Mine are almost 4 years old and they are not wore out or spread apart.
3. I can buy more dzus pins if they get wore out
4. If you are truly worried about theft, keep the stock dzus fasteners in place and remove the whole saddlebag, because if they want whats inside, that bolt aint gonna keep them from getting inside it or removing those bolts and getting the bag itself.

Old 12-13-2011 | 06:09 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mcain49
The 5/16 18 U nuts come in two sizes (long and short). Get the short ones because the long ones are too long.
Now you tell me.

Old 12-13-2011 | 06:44 PM
larry69fatboy
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Last year I had a pin come out twice, so I got the Burke kit for the bags and the seat. No problems since.

Old 12-13-2011 | 07:21 PM
spence222
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by captwjf
Has anyone heard of this. The other day 4 of us were stopped at a light . After making a right turn my freinds right saddlebag came off and skidded down the road. He rides a 2009 S/E. All the paint on his bag was scratched up So he goes to the dealer and the service Mgr tells him that you should replace the pins every 2-3 years. Has anyone heard of this?
.....it happened to me twice in 2 months....I **** canned the pins and mine are now bolted on.....there is a detailed procedure in the DIY sticky....its worth the time and effort.

Old 12-13-2011 | 07:24 PM
spence222
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by captwjf
Pins looked fine, they were in the bag. Funny how both could fail at the same time. We even had a conversation questioning if he felt the bag rattling prior to seperation. He felt nothing. What is this Burkus system? Sounds like the answere to a problem. I have a new 11 FLHTK and after this happened to him I constantly worry about my bags.
...if the pins were in the bag your lucky.....I had one bag pass me as I came to a stop light....bad rash to say the least....either replace em or do as I did and come up with a more secure method of attaching your bags>

Quick Reply: Saddle bag pin failure