Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag pin failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011 | 08:17 AM
lonerider2
Cruiser

I've put 65000 miles on bikes with stock pins and NEVER had a bag come loose!!

Old 12-12-2011 | 09:38 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by lonerider2
Yet!!!

Old 12-12-2011 | 09:39 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lonerider2

+1 and quadruple the mileage.
A 5 dollar bill and a decent hardware store for those with diminished dexterity.

Old 12-12-2011 | 09:47 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I havent heard of it but not surprised. In the spring, I'm going with a Brukus kit because I dont trust those pins to hold up, or for that matter to not be an easy target.

http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-pro...rts&item=35502
After youve taken them off as often as i do you can see that disaster before it happens and thats why i went with the kit from brukus for my bags, windshield and i understand they have one for the seat as well.

Old 12-12-2011 | 09:48 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by dbell66253
Never heard of having to replace the pins every 2 to 3 years, but you do have to make sure they are secure. I bought the Brukus system, some may argue that you can do it yourself a bit cheaper, but I like the system and would recommend it to anybody, including your friend, I never worry about my bags falling off or suddenly missing.
The only problem with going with bolts instead of pins is you loose the ability to get the bags off quick to clean or if you need to access something behind there. My pins are getting worn after 6 years so I think I better replace them ... thanks OP!

Old 12-12-2011 | 10:07 AM
kc347
Cruiser

It's not the pin that is the problem. It's the retaining clip the pin locks into. If you make sure they are seated right the pin will not come lose. Sometimes the pin only half way locks in.

Old 12-12-2011 | 10:19 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by kc347
It's not the pin that is the problem. It's the retaining clip the pin locks into. If you make sure they are seated right the pin will not come lose. Sometimes the pin only half way locks in.
I agree, these are the same fasteners used on airplanes since WWII. If they are fastened correctly, it's almost impossible for them to fail unless they just wear out, and that doesn't happen very much.

It is easy to think the pin is fully locked because sometimes its hard to feel where its at in the lcoking process. A quick visual check will save most of these problems.

Beary

Old 12-12-2011 | 10:54 AM
hdfat2001
Cruiser

Originally Posted by beary
I agree, these are the same fasteners used on airplanes since WWII. If they are fastened correctly, it's almost impossible for them to fail unless they just wear out, and that doesn't happen very much.

It is easy to think the pin is fully locked because sometimes its hard to feel where its at in the lcoking process. A quick visual check will save most of these problems.

Beary

+1 on that. They will not come loose IF properly engaged. Another poster mentioned have had to bend/pound 'em back into shape, that's a recipe for disaster as it weakens the metal. Only way to bend 'em is to force 'em into the clip (better to adjust the bracket so they slip right in).

Personally In over 15 years of riding baggers, I've only has a bag come loose once. Turned out it was the Dzus but the actual bracket that holds the spring clip for the Dzus.

Not a knock on Brukus, but with a 7/16 combo wrench I can get the bags off in about a miunute (probably less) bracket, brukus, bags and all.

Old 12-12-2011 | 10:55 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by kc347
I agree, most problems on motorcycles begin with the loose nut behind the handlebars, LOL!!!!

Old 12-12-2011 | 12:43 PM
mikesth
Cruiser

Front points are replaced with bolts and the pins are in the back..I have a ratchet wrench in my tool roll that takes them off - less than a minute. Easy and cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: Saddle bag pin failure