Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag pin failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011 | 08:35 PM
Michael HD Rider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I havent heard of it but not surprised. In the spring, I'm going with a Brukus kit because I dont trust those pins to hold up, or for that matter to not be an easy target.

http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-pro...rts&item=35502
Bookmarked and asking Santa!! Thanks for posting!

Old 12-11-2011 | 08:35 PM
captwjf
|
Intermediate

Pins looked fine, they were in the bag. Funny how both could fail at the same time. We even had a conversation questioning if he felt the bag rattling prior to seperation. He felt nothing. What is this Burkus system? Sounds like the answere to a problem. I have a new 11 FLHTK and after this happened to him I constantly worry about my bags.

Old 12-11-2011 | 08:36 PM
gtrb
Road Warrior

Brother in Law had this happen to him on his 2010 Ultra Limited when it was 3 months old. He had to replace the side bag because it was so badly damaged. Dealer told them they had never heard of that happening before. It happens.

Old 12-11-2011 | 08:52 PM
ebigfish
Road Captain

can't fall off when bag guards stay on... plus; I like the old school look.

Old 12-11-2011 | 09:02 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master

I took a clevis pin from the back side and fender washer with a sues faster cotter key takes 5 seconds to remove, no treads to worry about coming loose, and you can't really steal them like stock pins. I think I have less than $5 invested.

Old 12-11-2011 | 09:33 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Exactly what I did. I even splurged and bought stainless bolts. I only put them on the front, left the pin on the rear.

Originally Posted by lionsm13
1 inch stainless allen bolts(in my case) and tinner-man or U nuts.
About $7-8 bux @your local hardware store.
Pretty much theft proof too.

Pic Courtesy of Terra bella
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post9129482

Old 12-11-2011 | 09:37 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

I like the safety torx bolt provided in the Brukus kit. Ain't no damn thief going to have that safety torx socket or tool with him when he is doing his deed. I suppose I could have found the same bolt doing my own research, but I like my hardware quick and ready, like their kit. Plus the Brukus folks are good people to meet and talk with and provide a good product. You can go cheaper for sure, but there's a lot more to consider than a few bucks from my perspective.

Old 12-12-2011 | 07:01 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lionsm13
1 inch stainless allen bolts(in my case) and tinner-man or U nuts.
About $7-8 bux @your local hardware store.
Pretty much theft proof too.

Pic Courtesy of Terra bella
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post9129482

I did something similar but used 1 1/4" Button head bolts and then added a stainless steel 5/16 lock washer on top of the stock washer. Less likely for anything in the saddlebags to catch on using the button head.

Old 12-12-2011 | 07:56 AM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Exactly what I did. I even splurged and bought stainless bolts. I only put them on the front, left the pin on the rear.
I like the idea of only one on each side. You get the safety and security but can still get 'em off reasonably quickly.

Old 12-12-2011 | 08:01 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by captwjf
Pins looked fine, they were in the bag. Funny how both could fail at the same time. We even had a conversation questioning if he felt the bag rattling prior to seperation. He felt nothing. What is this Burkus system? Sounds like the answere to a problem. I have a new 11 FLHTK and after this happened to him I constantly worry about my bags.
That would mean the pins didn't fail, your buddy or whomever put the bags on last failed to twist them into place. Bolts are an option for those who don't trust themselves to install properly or want to reduce saddlebag theft.

Quick Reply: Saddle bag pin failure